Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Reality General Discussion / Chat Thread

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

This has happened again... I just opened the Oculus app and another 30% off was supposedly added on 15 Sept but I got no notification about it.

As great as this is, it's pissing me off how many of these I'm missing because I'm not opening the app to check 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

I haven't got a 30 percent voucher off in a while. I think it's because I'm buying too many games! When was the last time you bought one mrcheez?

about a month ago! But saying that I never got one of those 30 percent vouchers before that since I got my Rift back in 2017 or whenever... so maybe they're playing catch up with me!

No idea what I'm gonna get with this one though...

Sometimes they give you a notification in the headset itself on the oculus store. You don't do multiplayer right? You should take a screenshot of your library and I can try and recommend something

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I got another €8 credit today, must be the 5th or 6th time at this stage.

• Advertisement

aye.. no time for multiplayer unfortunately.. I squeeze in gaming time whenever I can and then have to randomly drop out so wouldn't be great multiplayer material 😁

Also I'm worried about using my fake FB account with "real" people in case something out of my control happens

I got Walkabout Mini Golf last month which is great... thinking of either Stride or Warplanes?

Resident Evil 4 VR coming on Quest on 21st Oct, supposedly around €40.

Hmm.. a birthday present to myself might be forthcoming

The Vive Flow has really underwhelming specs, what a disappointment!

I didn't even know about it until yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

reviews of it were mostly very postive, though it has been reported to be stripped down in terms of extra features (no mercenary mode, add on missions etc) and there is some anger over some of the censoring (though honestly the "Ballistics" bit was really f*cking odd in the original game and comes out of nowhere) It does open for similar adaptations of all the other resident evil titles that use the same mould as RE4, but would anyone actually want a vr version of RE5 or RE6? though it could see adaptions of RE2 and RE3 remakes since they are somewhat similar to RE4.

Though it seems to be facebooks plan it do a vr version of GTA san Andreas for the quest 2 instead https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/28/22751009/grand-theft-auto-san-andreas-oculus-quest-2

It feels like Facebook are mining for sixth generation console titles for vr adaptation. Which actually isnt a bad idea, its a generation that is not massively graphically demanding but holds a catalogue ripe with nostalgic titles that have aged very well due to a lot of gameplay first and very stylized asthetic that are a good match for reimagining in VR without suffering from the need to keep graphics a bit simpler for the quest 2 hardware and clear for vr gameplay (though I wouldnt have tried San Andreas myself right away).

I will buy a quest 2 in a heartbeat if they announce a Metal Gear Solid 3 VR, its probably the MGS title that would work best in VR and would be so much fun.

• Advertisement

The mod isn't released yet but it's a taste of what to come. .I jumped into Forewarned with Gamertag VR last night on his stream and a bit of phasmophobia but my mic wasn't setup in phasmophobia properly for and I had a crouching glitch so left soon enough. Was good fun though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Hey guys,

Quick query. My son wanted a VR headset for Christmas - I was going to get the PS VR (as he has a PS4) but he's asking for the Quest 2.

Now, the Quest 2 seems fine etc, but the concern I have are the amount of games etc. We do not have a PC capable of VR gaming (heck, we don't even had a PC for general home use at the moment) so I'd be concerned there's just vapourware or elaborate demos, and the real meat of the experience is via a PC running the game and connecting to the headset.

What would be the better purchase in this scenario? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bryanpmurphy30

Quest 2 streets ahead of PS VR. Cost of PS VR is 350 and thats before you buy Playstation4/5. Quest 2 is a combination of Quest Go (plays native games from Oculus store independently and Oculus Rift (connects to PC that requires high gaming/VR spec). Quest 2 shelf life most likely to last longer too.

The Quest 2 64GB spec is more than enough for whats needed as most games don't exceed 2GB. Can upload from using Sidequest with any basic PC which has plenty of free games, demos and gameports (Quake, Doom, Half-life) if you want to avoid games fulltime.

Only drawback is the Facebook connection, but you block the privacy to a certain degree

Thanks for that. The Facebook thing isn't a concern, I'd just be blocking what I can and setting up a fake profile. I'm sure they'll still glean what they can.

He already has the PS4 so that's not a concern. It's really the software. From what I've read, the PS VR is older tech, but had some great exclusive games, where the Quest 2 is new tech, but untethered from a PC, you may not have access to AAA games. If the Oculus store has a good selection, I'll likely get the Quest 2 then. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Quest 2 has a lot more titles then the psvr and are much better implemented overall. Quest 2 has a whole bunch of exclusives that are quest 2 only (no pc needed) and they've been making efforts to port PCVR titles over to quest 2 only (the medal of honor vr game just got ported over entirely), more mulitplayer titles and just a much more varied selection. It also links with a phone so you dont need to put it on or plug into a pc for adding or removing apps and I think the current standard model is 128gb now not 64gb so you can load quite a bit on before you need to start removing stuff anyway.

It does get even better when paired with a pc but its not required.

as an owner of both PSVR and Quest 2... go for Quest 2.

I rarely touch my PSVR, plus the visuals on the Quest 2 are sharper. Games on the Quest 2 are outstanding too and many are several hour-long titles.

Your son wanted a Quest 2 so he prob knows all about it and had a good reason for wanting it (maybe to play multiplayer with his mates?)

Thanks guys. He doesn’t really know what he wants. He wants the PS one on Monday and the Quest on Tuesday. I’m happy to go with the Quest 2 for based on your answers. Thanks again!

Wonder if it will be better than the PSVR port?

Glad I held off on getting it for psvr. My psvr has been gathering dust since I got the Quest 2.

I have such a large backlog I'll need to get back to using mine.... someday... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Noddy45

I’m totally ignorant about VR. I just want to get information on the best to get for someone who’s interested in using the likes of Google VR to visit places virtually, such as museums, countries etc. I know goggle has an app for that but that’s all I know. Totally ignorant otherwise. Not interested in games as such. Sorry I don’t know how to actually start a thread so sorry if this is off topic here.

The Wander app for the Oculus Quest 2 is great. Its basically Google Street View in VR and supports multiplayer and voice chat so you can travel around with friends. There's plenty of landmarks or indoor places you can visit worldwide also.

For Google Earth vr you need a powerful pc and vr headset. So I would recommend just going with the Oculus Quest 2 which runs it's vr apps natively in the headset without the need to connect it to a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Noddy45

Thanks. The problem with quest 2 for me is that it doesn’t have Google VR and then the other one (rift) needs to be connected to a windows computer and I only have apple computers at home.

I know that quest 2 can be connected to alternatives to Google VR, such as WANDER, but are they as good as Google?

Any fans of TOCA Touring cars on PS1/PC?

Im going to do a live stream in the coming days of the 90s TOCA Touring car championship mod for Assetto Corsa in VR in my Sim Racing Rig with the original soundtrack for the game playing in the background. Please give the Facebook page "Cork Retro Gaming" a follow if you're interested in watching it.

This is gameplay from the mod:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

first hearing of this

€18.23 for all the RE games, except for Village which you can get cheaper elsewhere.

Probably a bargain for playing RE2 / 3 / 7 in VR with the mods?

Advertisement