Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practice Drills/Games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Practice green or course ?

Practice Green!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

I apologise in advance, but I'm going to have multiple posts/quotes in this thread as I catch up.

Background story for my first reply.

I once had a mate who proclaimed to be hitting his irons so pure that he knew every time he was in the middle of the fairway in line with the 150m marker it was an 8-iron to the middle of the green.

One day we stood on the tee of a 450m par 5. I challenged him to hit 3 x 8-irons. He did, stiffing the last one to 8 feet and made the putt for birdie. I hit driver, 4-iron in a hazard, drop, pitch and 3 putts for double bogie.

What's this got to do with practise?

Now when I play a solo practise round, I play a modified stableford points system. One that rewards birdies, but punishes doubles but not bogies.

Now when I stand on the tee it think. "what option gives me chance of birdie but takes double out of the equation". Pars and bogies don't kill rounds, double and worst do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Second response.

At the range, practise is useless unless you have a target.

I often play a simulated hole.

Eg. Visualise a 400m par 4 first hole that dog legs to the right. It's driver off the tee very time. The next shot depends on how I hit the drive. If struck well and straight, I'd expect a 5-6 iron from the middle of the fairway, so that's what I try to play. If I push the drive right, I'd expect a low 4-iron cut from the rough, so that's what I visualise and try to play. If I pull the drive left, I expect 200m+ so I try to hit a solid short iron then pick a target at the range inside 100m and try to get as close as I can for an up and down.

It helps to keep me challenged and concentrating and makes practise fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

I had the recent honour of attending a clinic with Michael Bannon (McIlroy's Coach). When asked about the chipping drills he uses, he said he will throw three balls to a location around the green and will get Rory to chip them. When he has done those three, he will throw another three to a different location and get him to chip those.

The catch - he needs to hole 10 of them before they finish. This gives a huge range of different shots and lies from all around the green, with a massive focus on holing out in order to avoid being there too long.

Anyone care to try this one and tell us how long it takes you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Not a drill but it has helped my short putts(inside 6ft) recently. When eyeing up your putt try to pick a spot or mark in the middle of the back of the cup and concentrate on that.
    I heard/read Ernie saying it recently as a tip.

• Advertisement

Kace wrote: »
    I had the recent honour of attending a clinic with Michael Bannon (McIlroy's Coach). When asked about the chipping drills he uses, he said he will throw three balls to a location around the green and will get Rory to chip them. When he has done those three, he will throw another three to a different location and get him to chip those.

The catch - he needs to hole 10 of them before they finish. This gives a huge range of different shots and lies from all around the green, with a massive focus on holing out in order to avoid being there too long.

Anyone care to try this one and tell us how long it takes you ;)

I usually practice chipping, bunkers and pitching until I hole 1 ball!
    Sometimes it can be a loooong night... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Tried that par 27 there today,could only manage a measly 30...
    Great tip and will be using it again.

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    Tried that par 27 there today,could only manage a measly 30...
    Great tip and will be using it again.

Its tough enough when you get down to actually do it, you always seem to make a balls of a 3 footer out of nowhere and then the 35 footers can really be 3 putt territory.

I did it the other night and also had a 30...popular score :)

In other news I've played a few rounds now where I try to get up and down from a bunker on each hole...its amazing how much better you get at bunkers when you are in them a lot!

GreeBo wrote: »
    Its tough enough when you get down to actually do it, you always seem to make a balls of a 3 footer out of nowhere and then the 35 footers can really be 3 putt territory.

I did it the other night and also had a 30...popular score :)

In other news I've played a few rounds now where I try to get up and down from a bunker on each hole...its amazing how much better you get at bunkers when you are in them a lot!

My trouble was holing 3 of the 8 footers. Scoring no 1-putts on the first three I proceeded to try and ram home the last 3 in search of a successful putt only to leave 3 footers from the far side:pac:
    Had no bother lagging the 35 footers which I was surprised at, I would've fancied they'd be my poorest putt beforehand.

On the bunkers,definitely pays to test the SW and get to feel the bounce of the club at work.
    I spent an hour in a bunker last Tuesday. It eventually came out;)

^
    Just to confirm, you are not taking all 6 3 footers, then all 6 8 footers and finally the 6 35 footers?
    The drill is that you go 3, 8, 35 then move to a different hole and repeat... :)

• Advertisement

^
    Just to confirm, you are not taking all 6 3 footers, then all 6 8 footers and finally the 6 35 footers?
    The drill is that you go 3, 8, 35 then move to a different hole and repeat... :)

Booo!!!:D

Did it wrong so. That's where the proverbial hits the fan I'd imagine!

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    Booo!!!:D

Did it wrong so. That's where the proverbial hits the fan I'd imagine!

:D
    Yeah, its a lot more realistic to do it the "proper" way as putting the same distance over the same line more than a couple of times gets "easy".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

:D
    Yeah, its a lot more realistic to do it the "proper" way as putting the same distance over the same line more than a couple of times gets "easy".

I'd say the 35 footer on the 6th hole could be a shorter one than on the 1st... ;)

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    I'd say the 35 footer on the 6th hole could be a shorter one than on the 1st... ;)

Tees in the ground before the routine:cool:

One I use if I make the practice green before a round is drop 3 balls in the middle and try get them as near to the fringe as possible. No direction,just speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Not really a drill but what I do anywhere I had trouble on the course over the weekend I practice from the spot, it could be chipping or uneven lies mid irons or tricky putts. All part of getting good memories of good shots :) should you end up in and around the same area again.

Another not really a drill or game but before ever practice round I play 100 chips and 100 putts only takes about 30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Tried a new putting drill last night:

Par 27:
    You take a putt from 3 feet, one from 8 feet and then 1 from 35 feet.
    And then repeat 6 times, using a different hole/line each time.

Par for the drill is 27 (cool name huh?)

so you are expected to hit all the 3 footers in 1, half the 8 footers in 1 and all the footers in 2.

I had a 29 first time out, so will be interesting to track it over the year.

Great drill, good variety and simulates likely putting conditions on the course while adding an element of pressure. Gave it a go this evening and got a fluky 27 having sunk two of the 35 footers but also 3 putted another. Doesn't take a long as I was expecting so might try and build it into a pre game routine rather than hitting puts all of similar length.
    levitronix wrote: »
    Not really a drill but what I do anywhere I had trouble on the course over the weekend I practice from the spot, it could be chipping or uneven lies mid irons or tricky putts. All part of getting good memories of good shots :) should you end up in and around the same area again.

That reminds me of some interview with Vijay Singh years ago after he knocked himself out of contention duffing a difficult lie into a hazard. When questioned how he felt about the shot days later he responded very positively saying he had since hit something like 100 balls from the same spot so it was no longer playing on his conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Played 6 holes the other evening and playing these two challenges in the round.
    Played two 6 hole challenges with the Senior Cup team last night and this morning. Both good practice ideas I reckon.
    1st is where you try to score points:
    2 for a par
    3 birdie
    4 eagle
    -3 double bogey or worse
    you also play 1 shot from a greenside bunker and try to get up and down, +2 if you do.

I managed 7 points (including 1 double that was par 4 straight into the wind) so was pretty happy, I also had a birdie which helped :)
    The winner had 16 :eek:

2nd one was where you play 6 holes dropping a ball between 50m and 70m from the pin and keep track of your score, I managed 21 shots, with a poxy 5 because of a 4 putt. It really is amazing the shots we drop from these distances.
    I read something similar somewhere recently.
    Play a hole and drop two balls around PW distance and in.
    Par of the hole is 5 so up and down with one and up and two downs (:D) with the other = Par.
    Play 18 like this and you are playing all your golf in the scoring zone and see what your score is like to Par by the end.

Useful I reckon when practicing alone as there is no temptation to hit 5 drives off each tee to try and find that perfect swing :D

For Greebo's Challenge it went really really well, 5 pars out of the 6 holes and an up and down out of the bunker. finished with 12 points. Really makes you think, 'hit it in the middle of the fairway. okay, now try and hit the middle of the green. Get down in 2.' Simples :)

For AlxMorgan's Challenge, I brought it to about 50-70 yards from the green because thats where I have difficulty getting it in close enough to always make the up and down, as opposed to PW distance where for some reason I do quite well at getting close to where I want to be.

For 6 holes it was par 30 and i finished with a 33. Too many times I'd be getting it onto the green, but I'd be 20-30 feet away and holing the putt just wasn't too much of an option. Only 1 of the holes ( the 2nd ) did i hit both shots into 4 and 6 feet and got both putts. Most of the the time after that, it was on and 2 putts.

Will be doing both again another time for sure :)

For Greebo's Challenge it went really really well, 5 pars out of the 6 holes and an up and down out of the bunker. finished with 12 points. Really makes you think, 'hit it in the middle of the fairway. okay, now try and hit the middle of the green. Get down in 2.' Simples :)

An interesting varient is to play a match using these scoring rules...I've done it a few times and its amazing how quickly it can turn, even over 6/9 holes.

I was 11 points down and got a half on the last the other day...I got a birdie when my partner got a double, huge momentum swing!

The match helps to keep it interesting but the scoring system also allows you to track your singles score over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Just spotted this on the dan plan comments to a blog entry:
    More related to the short game is also playing on the course avoiding on purpose to hit to the greens. Again also a strategic exercise because it forces you to think a lot on the best area to miss the green and how to get the easisest up&down chance.then you can count how many up&down you can make.
    Btw it is an excellent way to play conservative and to play a bogey or par round that can end with surprisingly low results because it tends to remove all the high numbers from the scorecard!

Interesting idea. Play to miss greens but miss them in the best place. Really gets you thinking. And I bet a lot of people when they start to think about where best to miss various greens around their own course will be surprised at how it changes their opinion on what shot to hit playing a normal round

To be fair I look like I play this game most of the time if you see my GIR :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

I seem to recall that Faldo used to play two balls against each other in a practice round - one fade and one draw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A drill I used last year to change my swing ( and it was dramatic) was taking two of the big driving range rubber tees. Place one behind the ball and one infront. And then move them to promote the swing plane you want to be on.

So I went into the range with a fade, and wanted to change to a draw. I'd set the tees behind and in front of the ball like so

_ BALL *

If that makes sense. So as to promote my clubhead to go from bottom right to top left, and get that feel. I started with two small peg baskets actually, and then got down to the tees making the gaps smaller and smaller. Since last summer I'm hitting a draw on my irons, woods and drivers. My ball striking it much better and I've gotten more distance and more control.

And of course if needs be, I can revert and hit a fade :)

Another mental drill I have, mentioned by someone here, is to break the round up into 3 hole comps. So after 3 holes I mark a score in my head, and then move on as if its a new comp. Its a weird little mental thing, but it stopped me thinking too far ahead into the round, and worrying about what came before.

Just spotted this on the dan plan comments to a blog entry:

Interesting idea. Play to miss greens but miss them in the best place. Really gets you thinking. And I bet a lot of people when they start to think about where best to miss various greens around their own course will be surprised at how it changes their opinion on what shot to hit playing a normal round

To be fair I look like I play this game most of the time if you see my GIR :o:D

Great drill.
    (though I reckon id start hitting greens if I was trying to avoid them on purpose!)

A similar one is to look at the best place to be putting from on the green (the low point) and make sure that any miss ends up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

Would it be possible to put this in the list of important threads? I'd like to be able to have a look at this thread without having to look through three or four pages to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Was on the putting green tonight and dropped 6 balls in the one place and shot for 6 different holes so obviously different distances , and tried to 2 putt them all , I found this a great little idea because each 2nd putt had a little bit pressure which you get on course .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

mike12 wrote: »
    Par 18.
    Have 9 chips from around a green. 3 easy 3 middling and 3 hard finish out all balls the par is 18 so keep a record and try and improve every time you try it. Good for chipping and putting.
    Mike

Just tried this tonight. +2 for 9 holes and the two putts i missed i have no idea how they stayed out :)

Great practice and even more fun now that my putter is working again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

I was wondering has anyone any drills for taking divots with your Irons? Ive been struggling a bit of late with my irons after been playing really well with them a few months ago and noticed I am not taking divots. Interesting enough, I looked up a few you tube vids. They were saying not to hit down on the ball which I found weird as thats what I have been doing! But to basically keep right elbow tucked in and lose grip. Reading all the comments underneath the videos seems to work. Looking forward to trying it of on grass. As mats in range are no use obviously.

Anyone have and similar issues or advice/drills maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭coillcam

My pro mentioned that everyone has different issues and requires a different approach. For me, I stick to a 7i and my pro gave me these few cues for practising my irons:

• Make a T shape with an alignment stick to get the ball position set (just 1/2 ball ahead of centre).
    • Hands slightly ahead of the ball.
    • A little extra load/bend on the lead knee (this is the big one for me, to strike the ground just past the ball)
    • Traditional strong grip.

Generally, I'm not a particularly steep golfer and only really divot noticeably on 8i/9i+. When I try to get steep I tend to dig and chunk.

Occasionally I push a tee right into the ground (middle of stance or ball position) and make 3/4 swings at it, trying just graze the front edge or ideally contact the ground past it. Imagining that the tee is the exact ball position. I find this helps a lot mentally as I'm not worried about a ball and where it ended up, purely focusing on the swing and ground interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭plumber77

If you're anywhere near a beach it's a great place to practice on hard compact sand. Any bit of ground first and the ball will go nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

So for the last 15 years i've played every shot from 100 yards and in with a pitching wedge. And i mean every shot, whether it be 100, 50, or a greenside chips. The only occasion i wouldnt use it for chipping is if i absolutely had to go over a bunker etc but a lot of the time i would play around the bunkers.

High lofted wedges have always put the fear into me, i've got to an 8 handicap but really feel like 50 yards and in and around the greens is stopping me from being a 5/6 handicapper. So this winter i've decided that i'm going to make the change in an attempt to turn 3 shots into 2 more often than not and play roughly the following:

From 100 yards and in - 50 degree wedge

50 yards and in - 50/54 degree wedge

Chipping around greens - 50 degree wedge again unless i have to go really aerial then itll be 54/58.

Anyone got any tips who has done a similar transition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,201 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

50 yards and in I almost always use a 60° wedge. When I don't, it's either a sand wedge (55°) or pitching wedge (45°). I find the lob wedge quite versatile depending on how I swing. I can chip and run it, go high and stop or just mid height short chips that will run a few yards. I use the other wedges when I want a bit more run on a long green. But my aim around the green is always to try and chip in. Obviously that doesn't happen a lot, but it's that focus that usually gets me up and down in two.

Advertisement