Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mixing inverters

• 12-10-2021 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Thinking about some upgrades next year and was wondering how easy/feasible it is to add a standard 3kw inverter to my existing setup.

Currently I am running with this:

Solis 6kw Hybrid + 5kwh battery + 7kwp of panels S facing

Next year I might replace the 3kw panels from the front house string with 4kwp panels and move the old panels to the back of the house, N facing, for a total of 11kwp.

The new standard 3kw inverter would be for these N facing panels.

A few questions:

1. Do I need to think about limiting export to 6kw or don't need to worry about it since the N panels would never even reach 50% output and when the sun is at the back during peak summer, the rest of the 8kw S panels would be generating little and won't break the 6kw export limit anyway?
    2. Any special setup/config needed when mixing hybrid/non-hybrid inverters? I assume the hybrid will still be able to grab the power from the non-hybrid to charge the battery?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Should be no issue mixing inverters, they are designed just to work with the grid.

To be sure you could set an export limit on your hybrid and that would be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Yeah that's what I thought.

My existing setup is in the attic I assume I don't need to run any extra cables to the consumer unit since I already have the cables from the hybrid going there? Power and cat6 for the CT.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah and you wouldn't even need a ct for the new inverter, as the "dominate" one is your hybrid anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm thinking something similar.

I've a 3kw standard inverter with panels facing west.

Considering doing a ground mounted array and getting a 6kw hybrid.

Chatting to SAAS soon about them putting in a few panels East facing and the hyrid. I know the cost from midsummer so know what to expect price wise.

It might take the hassle out of it for me when I put in my DIY array and can wire them into the hybrid.

I take it that if I do this the max number of strings in 2 and I can't just swap out the standard inverter and have 3 strings.

Advertisement