Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ioniq 5 vs ID4 - Opinions please

• 14-10-2021 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Been trying to decide on a car for a little while - want to go electric, space is important, and the price of both these cars is in budget.

I'm not a big car enthusiast, but have driven both cars and they're nice and comfy and good to drive. Struggling to make a decision and wanted to see if anyone had good knowledge of both, or has driven both for extended time and has any preference. I've noted down some thoughts after test drive today, but there might be a bunch of stuff I'm missing.

We're probably looking at a 58kw Ioniq 5, the ID4 has a bigger battery, but that's not a huge factor as we could get the 73kw Ioniq 5 if we wanted to. Exec-plus or premium in Ioniq 5 and probably Family spec in ID4 with a rough average of 20km driving max a day.

ID4

Felt more natural to drive, and was smoother from low speeds when accelerating.

Braking experience didn't feel great. In drive mode it felt like you really had to put your foot down hard to slow down. And in braking mode it just felt like there was too much assistance

Infotainment and buttons have a lot of black plastic which doesn't look great. Felt fiddly to use the menus but maybe we would get used to that quick

Liked the higher driving position

Ioniq 5

Braking felt better than the ID4.

Interior is a lot nicer to look at than the ID4. I love the way the screens fit in the dash rather than having a tablet stuck to the top.

Exterior - love that it's a completely different look to other cars.

The car felt heavy around corners and roundabouts, but not sure if that was the driving mode we were using

Feels like there's more space then the ID4 inside, although the driving position is not as high as it's not full SUV

----------------------------------------------

Thats some basic thoughts, feels like after writing it out maybe the Ioniq 5 is the one, but can't get past the natural driving experience for the ID4. The Ioniq 5 also felt quite heavy around corners and roundabouts.

Just with the interior and infotainment wasn't so ugly in the ID4!

Any with major thoughts on either? I need to go check all the tech now and compare...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,239 ✭✭✭✭ted1

@20km a day. You could get a bike..,

There is a 52kwh ID4 available. That’s could skis meet your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Apparently that version isn't really being made anymore.

Local dealer only offering 77kw.

Not really battery I'm worried about, more everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Summer2020

I’m in the same boat. Can’t decide between the ID4 city version 52kw versus the ioniq 5 executive spec 58kw. 36k for the ID 4 versus 39k for the ioniq.

I have a deposit down on the ID4 and have test driven both. I’m drawn to the ioniq due to what I perceive to be better looks and a better spec for the price. I have to say I preferred the interior and exterior of the ioniq. Ioniq not available until March however and the ID4 will be January.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

what dealer has ID 4 for 36K, and Jan delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Maybe other things to consider & not even sure if they are important to you.. (& I like both cars in different ways so I'm not declaring one is better than the other - just things you can think about)..

Warranty - 5 Years Hyundai

3 Years with VW ? (I think)

Charging Speed - Ioniq 5 800V System with faster charging speed

ID 4 (Not sure but don't think its as fast as the Ioniq 5)

Dealer Proximity / Manufacturer Reputation / Support Network - Hyundai or VW (Is either one slightly more advantageous - eg if you had a local VW or Hyundai dealer would that sway your decision or matter etc..)

What Type of Vehicle are you potentially moving to an EV from ? EG if you are used to driving SUVs maybe the ID4 would be more familiar to you ?

Both nice EVs & good to be in a position where you can choose between these. If you are not in a rush, maybe consider the Kia EV6 which I think will hit Ireland Kia showrooms from approx October 16th or shortly after.

The EV6 & Ioniq 5 share a lot in terms of their under pinning platform architecture but they physically look totally different both inside & outside. EV6 looks a little more sporty & believe has slightly stiffer suspension. It may also have a chance of better efficiency due to its body shape Vs the ID4 or Ioniq 5 & I think the EV6 has slightly more accessible battery capacity than the Ioniq 5 (if I'm not mistaken - referring to the larger battery versions).

Anyway, hope this might help a little...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Summer2020

It was a cancellation I got , someone cancelled their order they had placed in July. They don’t have any more available

This is interesting. Dealer we went to said that the smaller battery ID4 wasn't really available any more.

Even showed us a list of cars they have expected and on order, and they were all 77kw.

Thanks for that! I don't think distance for dealer and servicing should be an issue.

We might go a little further to pick up the car but I believe we can get it serviced at a local dealer anyway.

We are coming from a 3 door Ford Focus which is an '08 so very old now, everything just feels new and comfortable and a nice drive in comparison. In fact it was hard going back to driving a manual after trying electric!

So SUV doesn't massively matter really. The Ioniq 5 just looks way too big for what its design, but I think it's just a perception thing when driving, the ID4 is smaller, but not by a massive amount.

I’ve the 52Kwh on order. Has a December build date.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭bonoman66

You'll love either - It'll be like moving to a spaceship :-)

Take your time & as you said in your first post - take a close look at the baseline spec & gadgets you get for you money in each model. Maybe you get a lot more with one vs the other (I haven't compared sorry).

I like the look of both so appreciate its not an easy choice!

Another small thing - the shape of the boot / rear end of the car might mean you'd fit more in the ID4 Boot ? (not sure - just thinking how the back slopes on the Ioniq 5)

• Advertisement

Will definitely take enough time.

Probably add the Ford Mustang Mach-E to the test drive this weekend and then I'll have a proper headache!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Disclaimer I've ordered the Ioniq 5 after considering both

Reasons:

1 - I just plain felt like I wanted the Ioniq 5, I think it's just so cool looking, which makes me "want" to spend 40k+ on it more than the ID.4 which is perfectly nice looking, but similar to lots out there.

2 - Ioniq 5s be far less common for immediate future, and in that way just will feel "newer"

3 - Interior in the Ioniq is just miles better, more premium... felt like i was in a Nice Merc or Audi when test driving.

4 - Spec on the Ioniq is again Miles better € for €.

5 - I was able to source an Ioniq quicker.

6 - The ID.4 range on the 52KW Battery just is a little too short.

7 - The extra 2 year warranty is important and the 8 year battery warranty too as I prob wont do 150,000.

8 - The acceleration on the Ioniq was more responsive on the lower end which is better for overtaking.

9 - All reviews saying the Infotainment on the Id.4 is a stinker

10 - ID.4 has No button shortcuts for important stuff like AC which I think is something day to day will really annoy me.

10, can’t you just use a voice command? It’s got Alexa built in.

i don’t think the ioniq has wireless CarPlay or Android Auto. Which for me is a big Nono. Apple lightening connector is crap and is always getting blocked. So has to be wireless

Lots of good points, definitely agree on the interior, the infotainment definitely lets the ID4 down, I also think the exterior in the front looks a bit round and boring, but it was a smoother drive for me.

I'm going to take a look at the Mach-E just to be sure...

Agree with lots of your points about the Ioniq 5 though, especially how different it looks and the premium feel inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Good shout I think. Got a spin to the airport the other day and couldn't get over how crap the ID4 is inside. The centre console screen looks like a kids pretend laptop. Honestly surprised at VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I can't really offer much comparison as I haven't driven the Ioniq 5

But after 5 months of owning the ID.4 I have to say it's brilliant.

Maybe the Ioniq 5 is better on some points but I don't think you'd be unhappy with the ID.4

A lot of it might come down to patience, shortages are affecting the whole car market and both cars have long waiting lists. If you need a car sooner you might not get much choice in the end

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Yeah, most dealers are now saying January to get something new which is okay.

I don't think I'd be unhappy with the ID4, but it's hard to fall in love with the interior after test driving Ioniq 5 (and now doing research on the mach-e).

The infotainment was very disappointing. Right now it's at the bottom of the list of 3 I think. I did start looking at the Q4 e-tron but by the time you had all the tech the others have it gets very expensive.

Once I get over the weird size and looks of Ioniq 5 I expect I might just go for that one, but waiting to test drive the mach-e now as think it looks lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Are you certain yet of Definitive pricing of the Mach E? I still havent been able to work it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I think you have answered your own question op!

Did you look at the enyaq by skoda. Bigger than id4 and i5 and better finish and interior.

Think we got quoted 53,000 for the Mach-E yesterday, with delivery in January. That's the RWD base model, with the lower range. The price increase for bigger battery and AWD is pretty hefty looking at the website, 10k+

I think with Enyaq they're going to be really difficult to get hold of, no-one seems that confident compared to other models.

I seem to constantly be finding new cars as I'm willing to spend a bit more and have had the wrong perception about style/size.

But I don't really want BIGGER than the I5 to be honest so Enyaq is probably out.

Q4 E-Tron just too expensive once you add all the stuff other cars have, so probably between ioniq 5 and Mach-E once I get to test drive it.

Given this is our first electric car I'm tempted to just go exec-plus 58kw battery, and if we need to upgrade to a bigger battery/different car in a few years we'll hopefully be able to.

Bigger battery would be nice, but I think with our general driving we can easily cope on a 58.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Question on trade in....how were the dealers on trade in? Good/bad/meh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭eagerv

Well worth checking dealers around the country. We found Waterford offered us the best deal on trade in when we decided upon an Ioniq 5 a month or so ago. At that stage they appeared to have some of their original quota still available, may not still be the case.

When I was buying my ID4. I phoned around most the VW dealers in Ireland. I found the rural dealers offer the best price and give good scrappage allowances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Could go for a bigger battery if you take a second hand year old model.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

True, but I've never had the opportunity to go for a brand new car and I want to do it.

Plus, not sure I'd get a 2nd hand I5 with bigger battery yet. Same with Mach-E.

Probably wouldn't be that much cheaper either.

Advertisement