Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oc-sober

Options
  • 29-09-2021 9:56pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I hope this is okay to post here. I'll be giving up the poison for October. Specifically from the 1st to the 29th inclusive. I've been trying this for the last number of years to mostly good success. I faltered last year due to a mid-month trip away but endeavor to make it 4 full weeks without a drop.

I know it's not total abstinence but it's something. Wish me luck.

Comments

Good luck!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Day 1. I'm feeling optimistic.

I've been invited to a bunch of social event this weekend that I would normally drink at but I'm confident I can get through it. I find it's usually the 2nd and 3rd weekend that are more difficult but I am determined to make it through to the 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Best of luck, been off it 6 weeks myself, the wealth of non-alcoholic options like heineken or guinness zero really makes a difference to the social aspect, no more hanging around feeling like a pleb with a glass of sparkling water or soft drink.

Day and feeling grand. TBH weekdays are a piece of p1ss. It's the weekends that came be a bit tougher.

I was at a house party on Saturday and they have food out. Crisps, fruit and raw veg with a dip. I found myself snacking a lot more than I probably would have if I can a drink in my hand. Not the worst thing, just something I noticed.

1 of 4 weekends done.

2 weekends in.

Was DJing at a rave in a field (on a farm) over the weekend. One of my fav seasonal beers came out on the Friday. I bought a 12 and went to the rave. Didn't have any.

Got home and put all but 2 in the basement. 1 in the fridge and gave one to a buddy.

They will be waiting for me once Ocsober concludes.

Have had cravings on Sunday (Monday off) but I found a few of the 0% beers worked to quell them.

I'm basically halfway done. I've got this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Fair play,

personally found it actually got easier from this point, once you've put yourself in a postion of temptation, and resisted, it'll be easier to do that again. I had originally only planned taking a break for a month, but once time was up, it was as easy to just continue.

I managed to complete Ocsober as planned. Going back on another month off now before my holidays. Started yesterday. Wish me luck strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pretty boy floyd

Good luck and strength to you. It is a very good discipline to foster.

Just finishing up Ocsober again this year. I started a bit late but I actually found this to be one of the easiest years I've do it. I feel like I've gained a new perspective and a new respect for the sauce. TBH I don't plan on giving up entirely but I do plan to drink in more moderation and to be fine with drinking less and sometimes not drinking at all at different social events and occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Just finished October plan to stay off it till Christmas and planning to stay off it all together TBH, maybe have a nice bottle of red Christmas day and a few in Spain during summer holidays, tried the 00 wine the 120 I think it was pure muck but I like the Carlsberg 00. Mid 50s now and wasn't able to drink as much as I used with out being totally bollloked after it and it was starting to effect my health. Was a weekend drinker and my Friday night was 4 pints after work home for a Chinese and a bottle of red and back out again for another 4 or 5, Saturday evening 4 pints in the pub and a few cans at home and Sunday a bottle of red with the dinner and pop out for a few in the evening, though I was a great lad not drinking during the week, weekends used to fly bye but sure no wonder as you would be pissed all weekend. Now weekends are long and boring and I love them no mad panic to get finished Fridays and I can plan to get stuff done weekends and it will be done not like before.

• Advertisement

Best of luck with it mate. I think, for me, taking extended breaks once a while is good. A perfect time to reflect on my actions, habits and cravings. I'm going to try to do more dry weekend evenings and also to knock Sunday drinks on the head entirely. Though I've said that before...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pretty boy floyd

I’m a similar age to you and recognise a lot of that. Good luck with it and don’t look back

Advertisement