Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interviews

• 02-09-2003 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

I was reading a book on Psychology the other day and found some very interesting views on interviews as a predictor of job performance.

Here are some key points:

+ Most interviewers give more weight to the unfavourable information than to favourable information.
    + Most interviewers have an image of the "ideal" applicant, against which they evaluate the people they interview.
    + Interviewers differ widely in the cues (words, appearance, behaviour) they use to evaluate and applicant, yet they are unable to state just what cues they so use.
    + Most interviewers rely more heavily on the applicant's posture, gestures and facial expressions than on his or her words.

It goes on to say that ability tests, experience and reference checks are better indicators than interviews.

I've always done terrible interviews but I'd say my performance in my last job was better than other employees who would do a better interview than me simply because they're more outgoing.
    I'd say I'm a handy enough programmer and I've got the experience to show it but I'm just awful at interviews. I get nervous and I can't think of answers to (sometimes quite stupid) questions.

It also bothers me that you might be interviewed by someone who doesn't have a clue about what the position might entail. i.e. a manager interviewing for a technical position because "interviewing is a managers job"

I guess I'm just venting here, but I think that employers in Ireland rely a little to heavily on interviews when making job offers.

Does anyone else have any similar feelings or do you completely disagree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Really interesting post. I've both interviewed and very recently been the interviewee. As an interviewer, I'd be inclined to agree with almost everything you read. Body language and rapport would probably win me over quicker than the actual content of the interview. I recently interviewed for a post that I know I could do well but I did an awful interview. Chose my statements and remarks badly. Actually, I didn't even chose them, I let me mouth run away with itself. I felt I was a much stronger candidate than I showed. 6 days post interview now and not a dickie from HR which seems extraordinarily long. In the interim, I am crucifying myself for some of the things I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭I am me123

How long should a 'successful' applicant be waiting to hear back from an interview (approx.)?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,072 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anything from an hour to 2 weeks, the more in demand the candidates the sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭I am me123

Thank you.

Do you normally get a phone call if you are successful and a letter if unsuccessful at interview (generally)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I've never waited more than 3 days. Clearly I'm not as desirable as I once was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

It's very simple OP. You can't change your interviewers but you can improve your interview style by practicing. Perhaps buy a book on interviewing skills rather than a book on psychology to confirm your own view on interviews. Do a mock interview. Nobody is born with an innate interview skill and it's tiresome seeing good people arrive at interview that plainly have put zero effort into presentation, research and practicing the blindingly obvious questions you will be asked. Just to spell it out - I spend a minimum of two full days practicing for an interview. I have every question I think will come up rehearsed - written down and repeated. It's not hard. It just requires putting in the time and effort.

Secondly interviews are imperfect but the best we have. And as someone who interviews technology folk the number one criteria is "fit". Your technical skills get you in the door to be interviewed. Your ability to work effectively in a team and organisation is what gets you the job. I don't know any organisation that want "lone wolves" and far from the cliche software development is a highly social activity and becoming more so. Performance is more than just quality of code - it's outcomes across many people. Trying not to be harsh but the number of lads (and it's mainly men) that have an entitlement syndrome and "if only they looked past my absence of social skills, it's so unfair". It's actually the skill employers look for and why the interview is so important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I find interviewing for jobs very very difficult and frustrating at the moment. Also the pandemic is still in the minds of companies, lawmakers and decision makers. What's wrong if a hiring manager and an applicant are meeting face to face, shaking hands, if they are both vaccinated?

Another issue I have is that often I am faced with 4 or 5 interviews taking place online, and that one going over 1 months, with another month for the company to interview the rest of the candidates. This would often concern jobs and a kind of work, I've been doing for more than 20 years, and could quite possibly start working tomorrow.

Many companies are also complaining online on sites like linked-in that they can't find the right staff but are stuck in their lengthy hiring processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lads, the OP posted this 18 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭tinytobe

So what? It's still a topic, and it'll be one 18 years from now. Job search is certainly not getting easier. Also 18 years from now people will have to look for work.

Advertisement