Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-price travel for under-24s in budget 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Being rolled out on intercity and Mainline trains. Dont think leapcards could be used on these trains before?

Do intercity trains have the required technology to work with leapcards? Tag on/off etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I could be wrong, but perhaps it will be that you buy the ticket in the app and then you load it on your leap card, rather then tag on/off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Indeed Irish Times has better info:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/public-transport-fares-to-be-halved-for-19-to-23-year-olds-1.4698212

"The Department of Transport hopes the card used will be an update of the Leap Card which will include age identification, and which can be uploaded to a smart phone."

I am going to assume the 50% discount will apply off the standard walk up intercity fares and in reality students traveling with Irish Rail will likely see no changes because the student fares online are probably cheaper or equal to half the adult fare as is. Student single on Intercity start from 10.99 online, that would be about 18.00+ (returns best value at TMV) if you purchase a single on the day so I am not sure you will see fare drop more.

I guess those who don't attend college or don't have a student card will benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

It will be a huge benefit for students in Dublin making ad hoc journeys which I would guess is quite a lot.

It is also great for those who are starting out in work. They can hop on a bus into town for €1.12 or €1.25 at the going fares, which is a huge help for that age range.

I know if that was in place when I was that age, it would have a very positive effect on my finances.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"The Department of Transport hopes the card used will be an update of the Leap Card which will include age identification, and which can be uploaded to a smart phone."

That sounds like the new feature in iPhones (I assume Google has something similar) that allows transit authorities to add their transit cards to Apple Wallet, so that your phone can act as a virtual leap card, with all the functionality of a Leap card, but without needing the physical card.

This is a bit different to supporting contactless payments (credit, debit cards, Apple/Google Pay).

The former is more useful for kids, students and those with monthly/weekly taxsaver type tickets. The latter is more useful for more general day to day users.

Hopefully they support both for all users.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207958

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Students to get the 50% discount on Bus Éireann PSO services from next week (in addition to the temporary 20%). Youth card still being developed to be launched next month.

Young Adult Card launching on May 9th. The 90 minute fare will be €1 for the remainder of 2022 with the additonal 20% discount. The fares determination report has all the details:

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/2022-Fares-Determination.pdf

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Why not just call it Young Adult Leap? Just having another product outside the Leap Card banner just seems clumsy.

I'm fairly sure it will be a personalised Leap Card like the personalised Child Leap Card.

The application portal for Young Adult Cards is now open. Discount kicks in tomorrow for existing Student Leap Card holders (which, I imagine, is a significant number of those eligible for the new YAC).

https://leapcard.ie/en/NavigationPages/CardPurchase.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement