Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitch and Putt

Options
  • 10-10-2021 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any pitch and putt courses in East Galway or around Galway city?

they seem to be few and far between.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,204 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There used to be a lovely smaller 9 hole course in Taylor's Hill. I hope it's still open, it was run for a lovely older gentleman, very friendly and full of helpful advice and chat.

There's quite a big one out in Esker too, near Athenry. I think that's an 18 hole course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

Thanks. I think the Esker one is closed. Passed by a few weeks ago and it did not look in use, rundown, no flagsticks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

There’s one at the army barracks in renmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Used to be one out in Barna, Inch was in the name and it looked across to the golf club. It's years since I was out there though.

The sign is still up outside Taylor's Hill so I assume it's their still. Used to love playing there.

Thanks. It seems pitch and putt courses are indeed few and far between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

The one is Barna is gone. Redeveloped as extra pitches for the GAA club. Opened yesterday by the GAA President, as it happens.

The only 110% confirmed one open is in Renmore barracks so

Taylors Hill has a facebook page but last post was 2016, so thats probably gone too

Anyone else aware of any other pitch and putt courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DuhJerk

There's a pitch & putt in Cregboy, not far outside the city. Has a driving range as well

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

I thought that was a full 18-hole pitch and putt course off Taylor's Hill? At least it was when I last played it, which wasn't yesterday nor the day before. Sometime during the 1990s as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Busterie

This is a par 3 golf course but it is closd for the winter.

The P & P course in Esker monastery near Athenry closed because of Covid.It is unlikely the whole centre will ever open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rossie11

The one on Taylor’s hill was open (and busy) during the summer. Not sure if its closed for the winter. Same lad running it

thanks. Why do you reckon Esker will not open again? Just not making money is it.

I certainly remember the holes as being short (most of them anyway), but unless my memory is playing tricks, it used to be 18 holes. In the top left corner - where that scruffy patch is - there was a hole where the tee shot was played over a low stone wall, right to left. Maybe the course got reduced to 9 holes during the property boom.

I was talking to someone only 40 minutes ago with whom I played the course all those years ago, but I forgot to ask him what he remembered it as.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya I remember that too, you went left on that side of the course and then gradually played downhill, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 daniel_h

It was actually closed before Covid as they were gonna do some work on it. Then covid came... There was a bit of work done earlier this year but now no mowing again. Not sure what's going on. The walks around the monastery are still closed as well. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

It was 18 holes. About maybe 20 years ago the owners sold off some of the land to a developer, I think it's the row of house along the north as we look at that image. And I think some was used for private dwellings for the owner's family. It then became a 9 hole.

There used to be a lovely course in Toghermore in Tuam run as part of a work programme for people with additional needs. But that closed too. Struck me as a great project. The residents were trained in landscape maintenance and some became entrepreneurs, running a little shop and cafe there too. A real shame to lose it.

I think it's just Renmore, and Cregboy's 3 par now. And depending how far east you are in Galway, Woodview Country Club this side of Athlone might suit.

Thanks all. Seems like pitch and putt in Galway is a dying thing and probably all over Ireland.

An old satellite image (OSI) from 2000 indeed shows the full course at Taylors hill. That row of houses went in by 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,204 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Glad to hear he is still running it. The last time I was there, his grandkids were manning the ship!

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. Its good to know I'm not losing it ... not just yet anyway. That tree in the back yard of the second house in the first picture, is clearly visible in the second (older) picture. It was right in the middle of that NW part of the course. I remember playing back down the hill (East I guess), it was very hard to stop the ball on some of the greens. In the top left, there is a green just beyond a dividing wall/ditch, which is very likely the hole where you had to play over the wall to the green. All gone now unfortunately. I suspect the 9-hole course is nowhere near as fun or as challenging to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Busterie

To be honest I don't think the monastery will be there much longer.

Advertisement