Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on changing car

Options
  • 07-10-2021 7:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently driving a 2012 BMW 520d, M-Sport, a great car by all accounts.

I am looking to change it, however, and the options are vast!

I was looking at buying another one, maybe coming up to a 2015/16 model,

Alternatively, I was looking at a Volvo S90 which look fantastic.

The other idea, and the one that I would love to go for, is a Audi A8.

There's a nice one in Kerry for 19,990 or so.

So, is the A8 a terrible idea?

It's a 2014 model and seems like a fantastic car, my brother drives a 2012 A8 and says it's great, although the cost of parts is a little high.

Any thoughts out there on the A8, in particular?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Why not just keep what you have?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just fancy a change, with an upgrade budget of 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A8 will be a nice step up from a 5 Series however your also moving up another level if something does go wrong, it will still be an 80k/90k car to fix. Have you looked at an A7 or 6 Series Gran Coupe?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

A8 on air suspension... Magic carpet ride 😍😍

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know, re the cost of fixes, my brothers A8 has had a couple of things go bang and it has cost him a few bob.

The A7/6 Series actually run to more money that the A8, even for a 2014 model.

One big problem is this particular dealer is in Kerry, which is a long was from Dublin if something goes wrong and I need the warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

A8s come with hefty maintenance.. my father in law had one a while back any to get anything done to it was eye watering

With all the cars your looking at you are in the realm of buying an originally expensive car which will be at the age of needing some expensive maintenance done .. so you'd need to factor that in to any budgets.

personally I love the Volvo s90 ... I rented a 2.5l AWD a few years back when I was in the states and it was a really lovely motor .. apart from the infotainment ... wasn't mad on the screen and menus .. but as a car to drive .. lovely

Ask yourself what sort of warranty are you going to get on a 7 year old A8 with 150k miles being sold by an independent dealer?

Yes, I know...

The brother said as much

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In the main, you won't get a more pleasureable drive in an S90 or an A8 than in an F10 5-series.

The Volvo engine won't be as good a machine and the A8 is a 3.0 V6 D minimum, which nobody on this island needs and which climbs into the eye watering fixes territory.

If you come up to 2016, its the last year or so of the F10, which means it has had all its kinks ironed out and its as well built and reliable as the model can be.

Stick with your instincts, get a 162 520D for €25k, maintain it well and we enjoy a decade of happy motoring.

If your going for another F10 then you might as well get a 530d or 535d, they are superior to the 520d you already have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Why not buy something that you can afford and maintain.

Advertisement