Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property upgrade Bargain alerts

Options
  • 09-09-2021 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭

Hearing alot of how you have to loose an arm and a leg to do any bit of work on your home so thought it would be useful if we had a thread on home improvement bargains

To get the ball rolling, I'm going to start with windows and doors

A Midwest based company I used in 2014 is considerably cheaper than the main companies in this sector. Note these companies are resellers so there is little/no difference in product.

A mate was getting all windows and new doors plus porch recently and got a very expensive quote. I gave him the companies details and got a quote 33% less plus they could do bells and whistles the other company said was not possible.

The owner does the designs on the windows an doors himself, so you are dealing with a pro in the trade as opposed to a salesperson.

Again a Midwest based company, so not sure if they will cover the entire country

Pm if you want details

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Falling

Not sure if this constitutes a bargain but might be worth mentioning.

We moved into a house last years with really crap windows- probably the first type of double glazing ever in Ireland. We couldn't even open some of them and they were even worse to close if you got that far.

We were debating new windows but we were broke after buying the house when a friend of mine said you could get them serviced rather than replaced. A few hundred quid later and they work absolutely grand now. Much better than getting a loan for thousands to replace them :)

They'll need replacing at some stage but hopefully we'll get years out of them before that happens.

So not exactly a bargain but saved us a load of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Dont pay anymore than €250 for a BER cert no matter what the size of the house (Well not mansions) :)

Seen some trying to charge €750 for a BER for 3 bed house.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cookie*

Hi, Please can you send me on the details for this company when you get a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tyres

Any chance you might PM me that company name too. Looking at getting windows replaced thus side also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Falling

Replaced some handles, repaired and cleaned pretty much all the hinges, which were most of the problem. Some were replaced. I thought it was the seals but it turned out it was the fact that none of the hinges were closing them tight enough. He had to clear out a load of crap within the frames too. I'm really happy with them. Took a 2 or 3 hours but they're absolutely grand now.

Advertisement