Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year Long Training Course

Options
  • 06-10-2021 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I am in the process of applying for an IT Course that is 50+ weeks long. I am a 51 year old that moved to Ireland in 2020. I am struggling to find a role so I am looking to update my IT support skills by applying for this course. My only issue is as it always is 'Money'. I am currently living off savings and these are quite rapidly declining. I am looking for any ideas as to what I can do? Is there any assistance I maybe able to apply for?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where did you move here from? Have you checked to see if you are eligible for any welfare?

Can you get a part time student job? In many towns, employers are crying out for staff, and may overlook your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Do you qualify for jobseekers?

If you do, they have access to training courses which you should be able to take, which will also be less than a year. (A year full time is a very long time for someone looking to update their IT skills - unless you have experience as a coder/developer for example, and you're looking to update previous qualifications?)

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/returning_to_ireland/starting_work/

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/employment_supports.html

Springboard, whether you're working or not working you very little towards the course. Look up the Higher Education Authority courses too, you could email your local universities see if they are participating. Most of the courses are in IT, business sector as that is where the jobs are

can't post links yet but it's springboardcourses.ie

Springboard courses range from Level 6 all the way up to masters level.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Your starting point is where did you come from, how did you exit your last employment situation in that country and what is your status in Ireland. If you came from an EU state and left your last employment inline with the rules in that country, they many have a responsibility towards you for up to six months and the Irish authorities there after. Likewise, if you can from an EU state and are not an Irish citizen, then doing a year long course would be problematic because you are required to establish economic viability within three or at the latest six months after arrival.

Generally speaking I don't think the Irish authorities do much checking up on an EU citizen, unless you start looking for money of them....

You need to provide more information on your situation to get a good answer.

Advertisement