Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Vision Thermal Imagers- Add ons, Scopes, Mounts and Viewers

• 27-04-2021 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

A place for all things Night Vision Thermal Imagers- Add ons, Scopes, Mounts and Viewers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Is that yellow text a link? Very hard to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Is that yellow text a link? Very hard to read.

Changed to a boudoir red.....

I've put together a few headings in the following post -

Lamping, Night Vision and Thermal Imaging

......found in Important hunting threads and quick links. found at the top of the Hunting Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I see Pulsar have brought out some newer models and they seem to be selling quickly, not for the faint hearted though with one scope selling at over 5,000 euro.

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=thermion+2

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I looked through one of these about a week ago.
    https://www.irishshootingsports.ie/optics/night-vision/infiray-rico-rh50-thermal-scope/

Big mistake, I'm camped outside the Credit Union since :D

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mcbain087

I read on lots of hunting / shooting sites and social media that people are using NV add ons in all different guises and would like to point out that just because you tick the box on the application FCA1 or renewal form, it does not entitle you to use a night vision / thermal device attached to your scope.
    It is not illegal for companies to sell you one but it is up to you to know the law.
    Speak to your FAO and clarify the situation with them as usually an application must be made separately in writing requesting permission to use an add on.
    It might save you from losing your licences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

mcbain087 wrote: »
    I read on lots of hunting / shooting sites and social media that people are using NV add ons in all different guises and would like to point out that just because you tick the box on the application FCA1 or renewal form, it does not entitle you to use a night vision / thermal device attached to your scope.
    It is not illegal for companies to sell you one but it is up to you to know the law.
    Speak to your FAO and clarify the situation with them as usually an application must be made separately in writing requesting permission to use an add on.

See the following post -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117014652&postcount=4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭clivej

mcbain087 wrote: »

Years ago I sent in all the details of the Gen2 NV I was using. Never heard back from the Super as to was I granted or not.

I ticked the 'Scope' box and wrote 'Night Vision' on my last application for a .22lr rifle, that was a few weeks back now. I told the FO that I had applied for NV at the time. License was granted and again there is no indication as to if the use of NV was granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭keith s

Anyone tried or got a look through the pulsars NV front Add-On F455?

Looks a tidy unit and handy to swap around.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Sika98k

I have and it has IMHO a very narrow field of view, even more so if you increase the magnification. I’ll stick with my Westhunter which I have found to be an improvement on a Pard. Running the Westhunter on a Hawke Airmax and a VCSEL from the night vision store I can shoot out to 250 yds.

Thanks Sika,

I'll have to get a look through.

I had the 007 pard, just didn't get on with it and I got the an nvuk add on at the moment, but it's a bit awkward to transport and in situ and also while over the shoulder.

I really like the idea of a quick add on, that isn't too bulky and don't need to move the scope forward for.

I also want to try keep the daytime scope and not having to pull the scope of for a different rifles or during the day/night and that's what's putting me off a digital scope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Sika98k

@keith s . It’s also a rather weighty item. Sadly the Pard and Westhunter don’t work well with upmarket scopes. I was sad to retire my Kahles to the cupboard and put on the Airmax. But it does work well ! You really need a scope that parallax down to 10 metres or less for it to work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭culchie mick

Hi all did anyone ever make up mount for a pard 008 would love mine lower and back a bit more cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Any of ye have any experience of the I.R. light below. It has a focusable light.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p128881-yukon-ir-illuminator-805-yuk-29071-d/#.YWFtmSfTW2c

Post edited by Mach Two on

Mach Two, I don't, but I have had a few IRs

Depending on what distance and device you want to use them, some are OK and some a little (for want of a better word) weak.

Also the more you zoom in the more power you'll need. (I'm not sure if that applies to digital scopes) but definitely with the rear add ons.

I settled on the solaris sxr with the rotary dimmer, I find it can be used for pretty much any distance, by using the flood or spot in combination with the 3 power settings.

Would it be too bright for foxes at maybe 50 yds.

You shouldn't need an external IR if you are only shooting at less than 100 yds.

After that a laser such as a Solaris or a PBIR is the way to go.

The Yukon Photon eats batteries with the built in I.R. left on. Foxes don't always hang around the 50yd mark all the time. So something that would function out to 120 yds would be necessary as well.

I don't find it too strong.

Where abouts you based can give you a look at mine if you're near by.

I'm based in Dublin

Down the country I'm afraid.

No worries,

I'd say if you can, definitely try get a look using different IRs on your setup.

The solaris is not cheap, but I'm nearly sure you'll not be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Paddyviking

Hi Guys

Anyone any views/experience of going from a Helion xq38 to an Axion xq38 LRF

The Helion is relatively bullet proof with a great battery, just wondering if the LRF is as good ?

Thanks

PV

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭tikka225

Looking to buy a pulsar xm22 as xm30 is just out of my budget.

Any bit of advice,quality,battery life etc

I know it's only €400 more expensive but as my first thermal I'd like to stay under €1000.

Any others I should be looking at for value.

Kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

What the detection range of the xm22 compared to the xm30, also did you get any further on the quest for value?

The "observation" range on the Xm22 is 950m,1200 on the XM30.

As for detection,ie. being able to tell whether something is a rabbit or a fox or whatever I think that the distance will be similar between the two (same sensors in both).

The field of view should be a bit better on the XM22

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Mods delete if not appropriate.

I have been hunting, shooting and lamping foxes for over 20 years now and have been a member here god knows how long! A couple of months ago I became an ambassador for Highland outdoors, as such I have, alongside a friend of mine set up a FB page to post reviews on some of the equipment we get to trial. Currently seeing as its peak foxing time we are trialing thermal equipment from Infiray and they may be of interest to some on here. Our FB posts and Instagram posts are honest evaluations of the equipment we receive to trial. If your interested in seeing any of this equipment first hand there is night vision/thermal demo night on Wednesday the 24th November in Knocknagoshel Kerry where you can get to see and handle the various pieces and see for yourself.

A few images from the Infiray E3 plus v2 , I have been using this along with the CL42 clip-on.

Should anyone be interested in reading some of the reviews or seeing our posts the FB page is ''Highland life'' https://www.facebook.com/highlandlifeirl/

Our Instagram pages are '' Lough to hill adventures'' and ''mtnview precision'' and these pages will show videos of the kit in action.

Advertisement