Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Veg plans for 2021

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

SW didn't you put in a water feature this year? Did that do anything for your garden (attract birds or frogs or...)

Edit: that was someone else, sorry

Post edited by Igotadose on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Stuck in a sandpit container filled with water. Haven't looked at it since.

Ive seen a lot of dragon flies over the last few months. Im on a mountain so it would be unusual. Could be the pond.

Celtic built a lake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

At the moment I am reducing my raised bed number from 9 to 6. Next year we will stick to the crops that we enjoy growing and give a worthwhile return. It didn't help matters this year when I was dismantling the frame that I was growing my very successful runner beans on when I saw a false widow spider looking back at me. Anyone having a problem with these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

What's the best option for storing potatoes?

Have a choice of metal barrel, plastic barrel, old freezer (not working) or wooden box. All have rodent proof lids. usually don't have any to store but got a massive return from "Sevilla" variety that I wasn't expecting so I have 2 wheelbarrows full!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭youllbemine

Has anyone started sowing for 2022 yet?

I saved approx 200 broadbean seeds from this years crop. Have just sowed 80 of them I'm modules and will see how they do over winter. Can always purchase store bought seed if needed in spring.

When do others sow garlic and onion sets? Looking back at last years calendar, I sowed both on 10th October so might get moving on that over the weekend.

Grew enough garlic to be able to have our own supply of bulbs to dow this autumn also.

Plan is to be self sufficient in a number of seeds including garlic, beans, peas, tomatoes, peppers, chillies, potatoes.

Planted my garlic last year on 30 Oct. Several varieties from several sources. All did very well and I have more than enough bulbs for next year's sowing. Garlic so far has been pretty easy, I think the slugs don't like the leaves though I occasionally find them crawling on them. I harvested the garlic in mid-July (more or less, some was a bit later).

Planted out garlic and some seed down onion last week.

Still have lots growing.harvested a squash and beetroot today.

Green manure of mustard and field beans doing well in 2 beds.

Still have butternut squash that refuses to turn orange. Lots of it. I'm not happy with Seedaholics seeds; I harvested another squash that I still don't know what it was, kind of looked like a pumpkin wannabe. Went in early, grew slowly, eventually yielded two fruit that stopped growing a month ago. Tasted o.k., but I yanked the plant.

Seeds came out of a pack of butternut seeds. That's my biggest complaint with them, I get things from their seed packs that aren't what was on the label, that couldn't have come from elsewhere. Plus seed viability is very low even for things like chard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just got the garlic down. 8 elephant garlic cloves and 50 'normal' cloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭macraignil

My winterkeeffe peas have started to grow strongly out of the pile I made from all the old plants from this years crop after I thought I had saved the seed from the old pods I had not used. Not sure if they will survive overwinter but will try put in some support for them over the weekend to see if they might have a chance to make it through to spring. Garlic also due to be planted soon and hoping the chard and red Russian Kale that are cropping well keep going through to 2022. Beetroot probably wont get to 2022 as it seems there is a local badger likes the taste of them, It dug up my main crop this year and the late sown ones are just getting to the right size for it to pick now. Just found earlier it had eaten one and picked about five others that were too small for it to bother with and it just left there on the ground after pulling them up. Leeks also still look like spring onions so they will be waiting for 2022 cropping as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Are the Elephant Garlic cloves readily available?

You'll find it hard to get garlic bulbs at this stage.

Try Gardens for Life on Facebook. Martin has a, shop and had some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hi

I have a good few carrots still in the ground - anyone know how long more I can leave them there or when should I harvest?

What's seed availability looking like? Last year this time I think we started getting worried about what was out there. It seems that there were a fair range of seeds available but locally a few gardeners have been complaining that the quality was low. I'd agree with that, had a lot of bad luck with seeds I brought in.

(maybe we need veg plans 2022?)

I have all mine ordered and sitting here.

I wouldn't trust there not to be another lockdown or supply issues in spring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭whelzer

I lifted my last row this week, about half had damage of one sort or another - the undamaged ones were very tasty!

Anyone growing flower sprouts? Tempted to try it, we really enjoy what little we get from the good organic grower. I won't be trying weird squash again so I should have some room plus added a couple beds this fall, one is free.

I'm a bit confused, as it seemed to me the flower sprouts needed to overwinter before harvesting, but maybe it just needs to go out fairly early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Seed potatoes available to order (2022 delivery) from Quickcrop and Fruithill

Blight resistant ones won't be available in FHF until December

Advertisement