Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pensions Age to ..... 72 !?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

My salary far exceeds the crappy private sector pension I will have, so I'm happy to trundle on and enjoy a good quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I posted in a thread about this oin pensions, but it seems to be gone now.

Im voting whoever says they will keep the pension age at 65 or 66.

At this stage of my life all I care about is how much i'll be taxed and when i get my state pension.

They are turning it into a carrot on a stick that you will get ever closer to but will never reach.

Ive had enough of FF and FG. Swore id never vote SF, but if they come put and promise me pension age stays at 65 then ill vote for them.

Lea and Michael have promised so much and not delivered (€50k before you get into the high tax bracket among other things), might be time to let someone else promise and hope they deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Looks like there's going to be a huge swathe of unemployed people in their 60s and 70s in 30 years tbh. Anyone losing their job in their 50s already has a hard time finding a new one so expect to see a lot of "long-term unemployed" that will, for all intents and purposes, be retired

Most who aren't in a public sector or semi-state role with the rock-solid job security that goes along with it will do well to be able to keep their jobs much beyond 65 (though I'd expect public servants current contracts to ensure they still get out the door with their full pension at 65).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Old Age Pension is payable from age 66 currently. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ok.... What does that have to do with raising it 6 years and beyond...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Very though provoking. Since you're so familiar with SF, maybe you can let us know how they intend to pay for all their promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any party can claim they won't increase the age, but within a few years they will have to anyway as it will become unaffordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The whole notion requires something of a radical overhaul of how we view society. The concept of pensions views society as revolving door of workers in and workers out. Gristle to the mill.

When modern pensions were originally conceived, it was built on the calculation that a certain proportion of people would die before they got to pension age, thereby making the system affordable. As one would expect, in the century since the number of people surviving to pension age has increased dramatically.

I'm not 100% sure what the optimal solution is. One where people can choose to retire at 65 on a full pension, without being forced to, seems obvious. We should also overhaul how pension payments work. Maybe increase the pension contributions from employers; make it mandatory for employers to pay (say) 5-10% of the employee's salary into a national pension fund. Half the payment goes into a social fund, the other half goes into a personal fund. Both funds are managed for interest over time and are legally/constitutionally protected from the government; i.e. they are not available to be used for state spending under any circumstances.

When the person retires then, they get a fixed payment from the social fund - regardless of how much they worked in their lifetime - and they also get top-up payments from their personal fund. This ensures that there is a minimum payment, but that there is salary-based aspect to it.

The big question over retirement is always about who is going to pay for the pensions. And the reason it's a question is because government always assume that future generations will pay for it. We need to reset that now to ensure that people working today, are paying for their own pensions rather than hoping that there will be money in the future which hasn't been raided by a future government, or hasn't disappeared because the economy has stagnated for a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

No idea, but FF/FG arent doing it for me. Voted for one or other of them for the last 30 years. Cant do it again. This pension stuff is the straw that broke the camels back for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Good point, even if the pension age is raised to crazy ages like 72, just leave your job at 65 and go on the dole 😎

• Advertisement

We know FF/FG don't have the answers.

Let's see how SF do, you could be right or you could be wrong, no one knows until they get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd agree with them if it was a case of TD's not getting their pensions until 72 also. They should lead by example.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The populace will be healthier at 65 than they are now as life expectancy goes up and medicine modernises.

Someone's going to have to foot the bill for an larger pensioner population.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We're already seeing this tbh. I personally know of half a dozen people who either lost a job in their 50s or gave one up and haven't made (or didn't make) any effort to find a new one between that time and their 65th birthday... Some of them even availed of state-funded Solás and University courses as past-times (i.e. doing courses that were interesting to them but which in no way enhanced their employment prospects). So while they weren't officially a pensioner, they were to all intents and purposes retired and living off the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

That's babies talk.

You know well SF don't have a magic money tree to pay for all their promises but you'll vote for them anyway in a huff.

I certainly won't be voting for them in a huff, I've never voted FF/FG so I've been waiting my whole life to get them out.

You don't know what will or won't happen with SF in power, there's only one way to find out.

There's a lot to be said for having a decent private pension fund.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Because some people have mentioned age 65 in this thread. That ship has sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If life expectancy goes close to 100, and it will, it's not that crazy. Can't really have a public pension system paying for the equivalent of nearly 80% of your working life.

I don’t get his logic. We do need to increase the pension age but not doing it earlier doesn’t add to pension costs as they are paid out of present day earnings. 72 seems very high. Do we need people to just have 8 years of pensionable age, on average.

• Advertisement

Well if that’s his assumption then he should say it. That would be a huge increase in the next few years and unlikely as increases are flatlining or reversing( in the US).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well we had a retired pensions ombudsman in an article today talking about fairness and some fictitious person coming from Saudi Arabia or South Africa at the age of 55 and working for ten years and claiming full pension.

And I'm left wondering how is this person ? How many 55 year olds are able to move here gain employment at that age and get the rights to do that. It all sounded very hog washy whilst this fella site on his public sector pension from whatever leafy south of the river suburb he hails from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Catch 22 really. As a PS I think I can stay in work full-time until I'm 70 or 75. Not really sure of the exact date, but at the same time, by me hanging on for an extra 10 years or so I'm just excluding a young person from securing my role.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The issue, as Seamus alluded to, is that people are generally healthier and living a lot longer than even a few decades ago. That means that there's a.) more people living till pension age and b.) pensions are being drawn for much longer. The upshot is that the cost to the state is increasing significantly.

The options are either accepting that we spend more and more on pensions, reducing pensions or increasing the pension age in light of the fact that people are generally far healthier in their sixties than they once were.

But that is a problem. And in reverse you can work 30 years and not get a full pension.

I don’t think pension age increases apply to the PS. You have a contract. Private sector employees don’t. It might depend on the contract though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

What solution would you suggest to pay for the state pension with people living longer and the workforce getting older?

If life expectancy reaches 100, is 65 still the right retirement age? Why not 60 or 55? The question of the right retirement age boils down to fairness. Keeping a fixed retirement age simply means that those still working will need to pay higher and higher taxes to pay for those who are retired. There is no magic money tree.

The SF policy on this is pure populist politics, short term thinking designed to capture votes without any future plan or costing.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Maxing out your tax-free pension contributions is the best thing you can do, I fully expect state pension to be scrapped in most countries by the time I hit pension age.

No it won’t be. Instead people like you with pensions equal to or higher than the state pension will get a reduced pension, or none. People lower than the state pension will be topped up.

Nobody is going to starve. Do you think that a large pensioner class is going to vote for zero pensions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Funnily enough it seems like FF/FG have a magic money tree - many examples including the Children's Hospital, throwing more and more money at the health service every year without solving any issues, National Broadband Plan.

Advertisement