Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter cycling- type of bibs

Options
  • 07-10-2021 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭

"Winter is coming" as they said in Game of Thrones.

What bibs do you wear during winter/cold?

Cheers,

Pa.

Winter cycling- type of bibs 35 votes

Same pair year round
    2%
    breezy1985 1 vote
    Same pair year round & leg warmers
    14%
    Plastikjethrothe2ndnqtfarmerdavegillyPeeling1979 5 votes
    Long legged bibs
    82%
    ednwirelandRaamkenmcgaffmasterSmokeyskeltonsecmanWishbone Ashloinnsighdavidsatelle100magicbastarderCantGetNoSleepWeepsiemamaxjimmdaragh_lissardmr spucklera148procoach22Darkglasses 29 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Long legged bibs

i have two pairs of full length bibs - a 'normal' pair and a windproof pair, which make a difference of several degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Long legged bibs

Long Legged Bibs with fleece lining high waist the lot - but I am a delicate cyclist anything less than 5 degrees and I declare an new Ice Age

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Longed leg bibs (Galibier Mistral fwiw). Also feel the cold/ have circulation issues, so high waist suits me as helps keep the core warm. The mistral also have some water resistance.

But I do also have 3/4's, knee warmers, leg warmers (both thin and fleece lined) for the autumnal/ spring marginal days (and great for commuting where it's warmer going home!).

The other option, which velonews or cycling tips reckoned was the most versatile in an article I read a few years ago, was thermal bib shorts which can then be paired with knee or leg wamers...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Long legged bibs

i have some verge 3/4 and defend bib tights (club gear.

some thick bicycle line bib ones that ive had for ages and still a go to pair

a pair of pearl izumi Pi Dry bib tights which arent the warmest but i dont think ive had fabric tight that is as waterproof

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

Long legged bibs

Depends on the time of year - I tend to start out with leg warmers around now and progress to bib tights for most of the winter and into spring. I've had a checquered history with my purchases here.

• First set : DHB Roubaix ones - was advised by wiggle to buy medium and they were always just a little bit too small. Hated wearing them.
    • Second set: Castelli Sorpasso - got the sizing right and they were jsut brilliant. I've nearly worn them out at this point.
    • Third set : Endura Pro-SL - went with the same sizing as my Endura shorts (L) and the damn things are slightly too small. Real shame as I really like my endura gear.
    • Fourth Set: Velorevolution, same sizing as my club kit - spot on and a nice bit of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

For Autumn or Spring I use Galibier 3/4 lengths

I use tights with Bo chamois over my bib shorts in cold , wet weather an Assos pair and for colder weather a windproof Giordana pair.

I never could see the use for leg warmers. Seems like less hassle to just put on tights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There's definitely a flexibility with leg and knee warmers - you can take them off if it warms up after an early start, and compared to my bibs, my shorts don't cover as much of my core. Do you not over heat some days with two layers (shorts and tights)?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Long legged bibs

Long bibs, but still too soon for that. Decathlon did some excellent winter bibs a while ago, the latest iteration don't seem as good. For the wetter days Santini stuff that has DWR coating.

So long has top half is warm the legs will be okay with shorts and leg warmers for another while yet. It's unseasonably warm at the moment though and can't figure out how to dress.

For commuting, I tend to just wear MTB shorts, but my commute isn't long

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

No issues with overheating. There must be others wearing tights over shorts also as that is why chamois-less ones exist . Makes sense to me that a thin layer like a pair of shorts that you wear on summer would need an extra layer on top of that in winter temps.

Or else I'm just not going hard enough. 😁

Advertisement