Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I get the impression that the protocol is a bit like the BBC. The Tories will endlessly wail about it but stop short at empty threats for the simple reason that they'll either have to replace it or be held responsible for the consequences of life without it.

It's disheartening that the narrative in this country only evolves insofar as the right identify a new object for their petty hatred.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think many of you are falling into the trap that should the UK trigger A16 that they will have any intention of actually abiding by the process that it is supposed to engage.

They are not going to trigger A16 to solve anything, merely to shift the blame onto something else. They have already been able to string the 'trigger Art 16' narrative for the last 8 or 9 months, which meant they got to talk about it being the problem (and potential solution) rather than confront the reality of the deal they signed.

If A16 is triggered, the UK have no intention of entering into discussions. The narrative will be spun that since A16 is triggered an entire renegotiation of the deal must be done by the EU, and any failure to give the UK want it wants is not only the EU trying to punish the UK for its democratic decision to leave but shows why the deal was never going to work since the EU were never intent on working with the EU.

That is exactly the path they have followed since the vote itself, and there is no reason to believe that they are going to change at this point.

The reason they haven't triggered it is that things haven't been bad enough to warrant it - bad enough politically as that is all this is about. As things continue to get worse in the UK, as we can already see from the petrol queues, empty selves etc, once that gets to a point where people are really starting to get agitated, A16 will be triggered and low and behold all the journalists will be running around commenting about the lack of progress, the intransigence of the EU, this meeting, that meeting, What Frost said, that VdL said etc etc.

So the bad things will be pushed off the front page or if not then they can be openly blamed on the EU not engaging with the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

I concur Leroy42.

The Tories have nothing beyond self-interest. They'll make loaded, bad faith arguments and will take the worst possible course for all concerned.

They are still basically using NI, and Ireland frankly, as a wedge to try and chip away at the EU.

Whether that's chipping away at cohesion among EU members to try and damage the EU politically, or trying to create a condition where the EU bends it's trade rules to suit the UK, i'm not sure which. But i don't think the Tories care much either as one result may lead to the other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's obviously posturing just to make it look like they are taking a hard line with the EU while doing absolutely nothing.

If they were serious about triggering article 16 or serious about renegotiating the protocol they will have counter proposals to take to the EU for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Why would they? If the plan is to cripple the NI protocol, they can just do nothing. No solutions, no implementation. Try to weather any EU escalation (that's the only real control) - and see if they can encourage the population of NI to vote against the protocol in 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think they're going to trigger anything. NI is not a factor in British politics and, since it's effectively in the single market and customs union for goods, it'll be better off anyway.

This is just more huffing and puffing while they wait to show Johnson off at the next international meeting.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

About the "diversion of trade" thing, Raoul Ruparel has the following (slightly disturbing) comment that it was from the May agreement and worked more meaningfully within the "backstop" draft - but wasn't changed together with the change to the "front stop".

Raoul Ruparel (@RaoulRuparel) Tweeted:

@SamuelMarcLowe @TomMcTague It was just lifted from the original May Protocol (think it was Art 18 then). EU made a mistake in not redrafting it given change in Protocol. The trade diversion line was meant to avoid the type of routing Sam says under the backstop. But obviously makes less sense given redraft https://twitter.com/RaoulRuparel/status/1445311054301605893?s=20

In a surprisingly unreported blow to global Britain, it looks like support for the Commonwealth is going to reduce to the tune of half a billion pounds:

It's a pretty deep cut and if the UK is serious about being more globalist then this is precisely the wrong move. They desperate need to increase their global soft power and prestige but consistently act to do the opposite.

H. H. Asquith

I disagree. The uK needs something to blame, and they also cannot let NI be doing better than GB. That is the big issue with the protocol. They aren't in the least bit worried about either sausages, DUP politicians or the union itself. Many have come out to say that losing NI would be a price worth paying for BRexit.

Remember that Johnson resigned from the cabinet under May stating that no PM could ever have a border in the Irish Sea, then promptly went and delivered one.

Without Art 16 what has Johnson and Frost left to blame? How can they expect to convince that the pain and issues suffered by GB are worth it when NI is sitting pretty? And if NI continues to do reasonably better, then Scotland independence becomes an even bigger probability.

The amount of spending cuts in the UK (foreign aid, British council , this, student loans, universal credit etc.) is quite interesting - is it specifically because of the additional costs and loss of income as a result of brexit? Or primarily as a consequence of the post 2008 need to balance the books?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Covid also plays an important factor. All the economic support measures that had to be conjured up need the money to come somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The French are talking about impacting the energy they supply to the UK. Sounds like they are pissed that the agreements made aren't being honored

“In the next few days, and I talked to my European counterparts on this subject yesterday, we will take measures at the European level or nationally, to apply pressure on the United Kingdom.”

“We defend our interests. We do it nicely, and diplomatically, but when that doesn’t work, we take measures,” added Beaune.

“For example, we can imagine, since we’re talking about energy, ... the United Kingdom depends on our energy supplies,” Beaune also said. “It thinks that it can live all alone, and bash Europe.”

I don't think they will start to limit energy. It would feed into the Tories narrative of being bullied by the EU.

I think it's the former. While they were imposing austerity, the Cameron-era Tories were boasting about foreign aid spending. This the same party that was touting "Galactic Britain" just days ago. They're cutting things that are truly essential to Britain's standing in the world while spouting quixotic nonsense and spending on white elephants like the trade yacht.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think NI doing better will go over a lot of heads due to people not realizing it's part of the UK.

Anecdotal I know but when you see people including bank officials talking about getting Euros to go to Belfast or my politically active LGBT+ friends thinking my country (Rep. of Ireland) is a disgrace because two gay people from Derry can't get married you realize how little they understand their own country

Northern Ireland, unfortunately for Johnson is the control group if you want to think about it scientifically. If NI does not suffer, or suffers less from things like HGV shortages, rotten agricultural goods and other Brexit-induced problems then it's objective proof that Brexit is a disaster and it'll be proof in plain, simple terms. If NI gets turkey for Christmas while Britain gets sovereignty, that's going to be a difficult circle for Johnson to square. This is why I think they despise the protocol so much.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Kind of amazing during all the crises, to have a party conference. Seems like it's attracted some protestors so maybe the UK public are finally waking up.

I wouldn't say "waking up", exactly. A consistent theme that always ran through the Brexit debate was that the consequences are fine for other people. Once they affect me, that's when I have a problem with it. The Brexit voters are going to either concoct a good explanation for why they voted for fuel and food shortages or admit that they hadn't a clue what they were voting for. Of course, for some there'll always be some perfect, pure version of Brexit that they'll blame the Tories for betraying but this will be a vocal minority.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I get the impression too that Brexit has unravelled much quicker than they expected and the Protocol is working too well, hence the need to try and scupper it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

This has emerged more and more over the last 2 weeks as the Political problem the Tories have with Northern Ireland.

While there was fuel shortages at stations nationwide, Northern Ireland alone had none, same regards food shortages. The protocol's success and Northern Irelands lack of issues makes the Brexit related issues of the rest of the UK stark. It is as you say the control group, and doing fine.

So if Northern Ireland is highlighting whats going wrong, it becomes the issue Johnson has to deal with and drag it into the dirt with the rest of the UK.

But how do you say things are so bad in Northern Ireland we need to invoke Article 16 while there are no public examples that can be given? The DUP will always whinge, but without headlines on Newspapers no one in UK will see issues. And if article 16 is invoked, and the EU respond and tighten things quietly, people all across the UK will be asking what was worth this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A few unscheduled downtime episodes of the Fr-UK connector would be unfortunate.

• Advertisement

But how do you say things are so bad in Northern Ireland we need to invoke Article 16 while there are no public examples that can be given? The DUP will always whinge, but without headlines on Newspapers no one in UK will see issues. And if article 16 is invoked, and the EU respond and tighten things quietly, people all across the UK will be asking what was worth this?

You don't. You come up with a narrative about how unfair the protocol is (despite it being your idea), how it divides your country, how it's not what people voted for, etc. Nothing is going to be triggered. HM government is just continuing to play the victim card. They know full well what triggering Article 16 will entail.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The UK government have threatened with red lines, deadlines, no deal, WTO, hard border, and Article 16 dozens of times.

Not once has BoJo followed up on a threat, not a single time. It's all just to grab a headline and keep the masses placated.

One thing I disagree with is the "nothing is going to be triggered". UK likes to have its symbols that it waves in front of its brexity population. "Triggering" A16 is an easy symbol to do. You don't need to do very much after, you could do exactly everything you planned to do anyway - but you can go back to your people to show you've done something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

The UK triggered Article 50 TEU.

On that scale of brinksmanship-cum-hubris, Article 16 NIP is very small beer.

Particularly once you factor in the respective membership of the HOC then and now.

Sure but symbols have to be nice and simple. It's part of what makes them symbols. Blue passports and bendy bananas, sure but an article of a treaty that, at most a few thousand people here have read? I just don't see it. The UK is trying to negotiate bilateral trade deals and actually trying to end one they just negotiated is going to scupper that.

H. H. Asquith

No insults please. Post deleted.

H. H. Asquith

Well they did unilaterally extend the implementation dates. So they are not against testing the EU resolve.

As mentioned in Fash's post, triggering A16 is all PR and has very little real impact. Frost can slam the table in the HoL, Johnson can give a speech saying the UK has had enough and its time for the EU to accept the will of the people (ignored the will of people who effectively voted their approval of the deal in 2019 election).

And then nothing much will change, but all the journalists spend their time watching people go in and out of meetings. And that all the shortages etc will be over one the EU finally agree to a proper deal.

They only delayed the implementation of checks on goods entering Britain. As someone living here, I've no issue with that. HM government's track record of brand new IT systems does not exactly inspire confidence. This doesn't test the EU's resolve as far as I can tell.

Actually triggering A16 just creates more work for the man who won an 80-seat majority based on "getting Brexit done". Not a good look on top of the pandemic, the corruption and the sheer incompetence. Does he really want to go into the 2023 election in the middle of further negotiations with the EU? I doubt it.

H. H. Asquith

Actually he'd love to go into the next election with Brexit still being an issue - Labour wants brexit to go away as an issue - Johnson wants his culture war.

• Advertisement

I disagree. Labour isn't talking about Brexit and the UK has left. It's been exhausted as a source of political appeal.

Brexit has largely gone away as an issue. It's the Tories who've had to revive it in a desperate bid to look strong. I even saw David Frost issue a warning to Joe Biden the other day to stay out of the situation. It was like an ant issuing a warning to a descending boot.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement