Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Full page add?

Options
  • 04-10-2021 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi all,

we are looking to buy a home in Co. Donegal.

Rural property has seen price increases since working from home is more the norm.

We are after specific townlands and have been keeping a watching brief over the last few months.

I get the feeling that there may be people out there with run-down cottages or perhaps considering downsizing that are under no pressure to sell and may not have gone to the estate agent yet.

What do you think about taking out a full page add in the local paper seeking a property with an anonymous contact method?

It may unearth some hidden gems and potentially cut out a bidding war and estate agent fees.

Thoughts?

Ever done this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

Bit showy, I think.

Have you connections in the area? Talk to a few of the locals. Let it be known you’re looking. If that doesn’t yield results, then maybe a small ad in the local paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

€€€

It would potentially mark you as someone with money to burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Putting a full page advert in a localised paper , will likely Garner attention coupled with the sound of a cash register ringing in people's ears.

The primary challenges you face is people in the type of properties you seek are likely in properties that they can't downsize from . I did what your looking to do, 20 years ago, purchased a cottage in the Midlands, renovated substantially and whilst Idyllic, rural but not too much so, its value despite restoration, is such, I'd be lucky to afford a 1 bedroom apartment in my nearest town. I've a small manageable mortgage so my only upside would be, being mortgage free but would I wish to live in a box, with no Garden, absolutely not.

Alternatively there is possibility vacant properties like the type you seek, but again, these are likely Tied to a local family, reluctant to sell, being kept for a relative, perhaps tied to a farm etc. Finally derelict properties option ,whilst there was a time it was relatively easy to source labour, Materials etc, both are either in short supply or prices have quadrupled. Renovating, restoring a property is not for the faint hearted.

A close friend has in fact found a property in Longford but it requires complete restoration, he has a family of Trades people and a small connection to the area. I had terrible problems when I started my restoration project having no local connections or contacts in the building industry, so also factor this in.

Your best bet honestly, find a local auctioneer/s fully explain what your looking for, let them do the search, use more than one , it may take time, a couple of hit and misses but I honestly believe this is the best approach to finding the property you seek.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Have you been looking online only or are you up in Donegal? I think that in rural areas, local estate agents don’t always put properties up on Daft etc. It’s worth driving around looking for signs and/or looking in the windows of local estate agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You really need to build relationships with the local agents. They will know where the properties that might suit you and which might be available for sale are. They also know who is serious and who will just play along to get a valuation.

if you really were going to place a big ad you would best do it in conjunction with and on the basis of the advice of a local agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

you could make a film out of it.

Mysterious ad in paper, gets tongues wagging, fingers pointing, whispers....ends up in love.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Why not get an agent to work on your behalf?

Estate agents also work on behalf of buyers, but because buyers tend not to think its worth paying someone with massive knowledge of a local market, its not an often used service except at the higher end.

However in many countries a buying agent is quite normal. You are probably looking at a fee of €1500 - €2,000

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, from time to time, one does see "people are looking for properties in your area" leaflets from estate agents and "Similar wanted" signs on property "Sold" signs. You or An Post can deliver. It would likely be substantially cheaper.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think you overestimate the cost of ads in local papers!

But it'd be far more effective - be seen by more people while not looking insanely suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dubsey

Hi all,

Really appreciate the feedback.

The main point being made is giving off the impression that we are loaded, which we ain’t. But I can see that.

Both myself and the wife are from the area but you would be surprised that the local knowledge is VERY local, i.e. the same townland.

Just trying to think outside the box.

Thanks again,

D

• Advertisement
Advertisement