Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeds in a reseed

Options
  • 01-06-2021 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

Sowed down 6 acres last September and it has now been taken over by chickweed. Contractor that sowed it was looking at it today and he said that due to the clover being in it he wouldn't recommend spraying it. Is there any spray that can be got at the moment that won't have an effect on the clover? Would it be best to just spray it and take the loss on the clover or will the chickweed disappear over time and a few tight grazings? Sheep only. So the clover is fairly important.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Will the chick weed not go once it’s mowed ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭DJ98

_Brian wrote: »

It not going to be mowed, it's just grazing ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Forget about the clover and spray with something good. Used pastor trio here this spring for a similar issue with a reseed. The clover can be stitched in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

_Brian wrote: »

Yes it will. Topping does same.

Completely edible plant. Top and graze and it'll be gone.

DJ98 wrote: »
    Sowed down 6 acres last September and it has now been taken over by chickweed. Contractor that sowed it was looking at it today and he said that due to the clover being in it he wouldn't recommend spraying it. Is there any spray that can be got at the moment that won't have an effect on the clover? Would it be best to just spray it and take the loss on the clover or will the chickweed disappear over time and a few tight grazings? Sheep only. So the clover is fairly important.
    How many times has it been grazed since it was sown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭DJ98

How many times has it been grazed since it was sown?

2 grazings with ewes and lambs, going back for a 3rd this week, seems to be getting worse though

DJ98 wrote: »
    2 grazings with ewes and lambs, going back for a 3rd this week, seems to be getting worse though

Dairy neighbour had a chickweed problem in a reseed and grazed it out tight during the winter with sheep.

If you think it's harm though and you're not getting anywhere, you may spray.

It's usually a thing you'd see in a reseed or else dairy silage ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Can anyone tell me whats this weed coming in my reseeded ground.

Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Advertisement

Not Charlock, that always has slightly bristly, pustular leaves. Kale looks right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Bui or charlock is fairly closely related to rape and kale anyway ... So I assume you'd treat them the same ... Do you know where the seed came from ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

It was a high density verity be a well known crowd, not sure can I name them hear or not.

Advertisement