Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Proposed VRT changes on EV's

Options
  • 03-10-2021 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I ordered my e2008 last May, car is now in production and it should be with me in late Oct. Heard on the radio during the week that the structure of the EV grant could change in the upcoming budget, potentially adding 2k to the VRT on my new car. Anybody else got an EV due in the coming weeks, any insight into potential changes..

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Speculation and rumour. Cant work anything out until the numbers are announced.

Although, It will be the new year before any changes are implemented, Getting the car in Oct you'll have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭gary29428

Great, good to have somebody on here in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,179 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes VRT changes would usually come in to play on 1st Janaury following the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It would be madness to take away the grant just as it is starting to have its impact. So I fully expect it to be gone by Jan 1st :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭eagerv

Cannot see any changes early next year, hope I am not wrong. For once I agree with SIMI, would be crazy with so many ordering/planning now for the new year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

any insight into potential changes

The only real insight we have is the report that the governments working group has produced.

Its summary said...

"The generous suite of EV supports already in place in Ireland should be retained until at least end-2022. Additional measures to further incentivise EVs and/or disincentivise fossil fuelled vehicles will also be necessary. Cost-effective, targeted policy supports should continue to be developed and strengthened over the coming years"

Specifically around VRT it said

"Continue the current levels of VRT relief for EVs to end 2022 – funding permitting."

"Analyse and develop proposals regarding further capacity of the tax system, in particular VRT, to incentivise EVs and disincentivise ICE vehicles."

On the grant

"Retain the purchase grant scheme for EVs until the end of 2022 and thereafter review suitability – funding permitting."

Whether the minister takes all that on board or not is anyones guess but I personally dont think they will scupper EV uptake by making them more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Fingers crossed they leave it in place.

Suddenly adding 5,000 euro to the cost of the new car we're looking at would seriously make me consider just going for one more petrol.

Advertisement