Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget 2022 fuel tax to rise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RingSting

Would you stop ,

If they need want more tax they will increases the road tax on EVs.

Job done, no collecting mileage data or special circuits 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

This 2c increase is just a drop in the ocean. Last year at the beginning of lockdown diesel in my local garage cost €1.25/l. Last weekend I paid €1.49/l in the same garage. Now it doesn’t help but it’s still shy of where we were at one stage when it was up to €1.70/l (2015?).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Car tax could be very simple at say 410 per registered vehicle. An average of all cars and annual tax take.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭jmreire

Don't be putting ideas in their heads.......yeah, a flat tax of €410 per annum per car......grand, until they decide that some cars dont qualify and off we go on the vehicle tax merry go round again. They have a very inventive civil service, and I'm pretty sure that there is a special department just for increasing tax take. EVs will not present any real problems for them. But one thing you can be sure of, EVs will be taxed, its just a matter of how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

They would be more likely to make you pay for it, like if you get night storage heating.

But I dont see that as a viable option anyway at the minute because you can just plug a granny charger into a normal socket and bypass it. The most likely will be that the car reports the electricity used, or the NCT reports the mileage and you get taxed based on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Or just introduce a higher annual motor tax for EVs.

Friend of mine was telling me at that they are going to make granny chargers illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

For EVs it would make sense for government make owners declare mileage each time they tax car, and verify during NCT. This way there could be a per km fuel replacement tax. The gauges on cars can be electronically altered, and there was a guy on an Irish website offering the service with the name "Big Miles" and many dodgy dealers and private sales already fiddle this, particularly UK imports. But drivers can and do use green diesel to avoid fuel taxes. Garda or customs spot checks could check displayed mileage versus deceleration, and you could be made redeclare every 10,000 km regardless of time since car was last taxed to stop people annually clocking car just before they declare the mileage while taxing car. I know many people clocking cars do so just before cars first nct where the mileage is recorded for all to see.

However it would be fairest way but it would penalise country drivers and those with long commutes, but fuel taxes already do that, and it would encourage people to live closer to work and not clog the roads. Congestion charges would be better forcing cars out of city centres particularly at rush hours, bit it's said the M50 per junction electronic toll is politically impossible, and would drive cars to busier more unsafe non motorway roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

A quote from a man who works for UK car manufacturer in strategy

"kWhr/100km is going to be the all-important new metric. Just because it doesn't have a tailpipe doesn't mean they can't tax based on efficiency"

• Advertisement

Its no more ridiculous than the crap your spouting about special charging circuits and the guards checking mileage 🤣

So based on that each specific EV would get a "co2" type rating based on efficiency at say 100km/h, and so bigger less efficient cars would pay more, but it would still be a fixed annual cost, and no there would be no incentive to drive less like petrol taxes, where those that drive a lot feel it in their wallet weekly.

To raise the equivalent takes of petrol, it would be a high annual fixed motor tax. I could see a mix of both, a "cc" based tax depending on weight of car, maybe motor power, and overall efficiency at say 100km/h, but there needs to be some consumption based tax, as taxes on home electricity are low and it's hard to separate home usage from EV car usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Agreed

Is this part of the reason for the mass rollout of smart meters?

Will they simply be able to tax a car charger at higher rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It'll make hydrogen powered cars like the Honda Clarity look attractive.

And how will this one work for people generating their own power, from roof panels?

No, smart meters just measure the house consumption and don't know if it's a kettle or a shower or a car.

The main reasons for smart meters

1-no need to go to read meters again

2- They can cut you off remotely if you don't pay

3-Variable time based pricing, long term to encourage people to not consume at peak times. This will be in theory automatic on new appliances in the future but not yet real except for some EV chargers in UK. This may also prevent grid overloads in emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The cheap tariff comes in at 11 pm. You would want to be quite brave, and be noise immune, to have all high electricity consumption devices come on and run while you go to bed and sleep. A fair number of house fires are started by aplliance malfunctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It comes in at 12.00 - 9.00 during summer.

We have everything timed to come on overnight, from the EV to the dishwasher, to the dryer.

You can set the washing machine to come on in the morning before the 8am/9am deadline when you are awake. It also has the benefit the washing is not sitting damp half the night. Note night rates meters clocks are sometimes off by a few minutes, check yours. Washing machines etc use most of the energy at the start heating the water so even if you stray over to day rate most of the cost is still night rate. That said I never really bothered. We did have instant electric showers in the mornings which were powered by discount night rate electricity. You can also get timers for immersions to turn them off during the day and heat at night rates. Condensing dryers are much cheaper to run and worth changing to if you use them regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, ours is 10/11.52 - 7/8.52 as opposed to 11/12.00 - 8/9.00

I use the timers to set the various items to come on at specific times during the window. EG I dont run the washing machine and dishwasher at the same time to avoid any flooding risk. Dryer generally set to run alone due to fire/heat risk etc.

• Advertisement

Well nobody knows yet, apart from maybe ringsting, since he knows everything.

But if the tax was based on a usage reading from the car, then it doesnt matter where the electricity came from when it comes to taxing the consumption.

And one thing is for sure in Ireland. They are good at figuring out ways to tax us up to our eyeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

It would be desperate charging tax on kWh/100km on EVs. Punishment for buying the cleanest car possible even if most the energy is via renewables?? (Projecting forwards)

The gap between them is just so tight as well.

I'd say a flat tax would be a better approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,646 ✭✭✭billyhead

Sure it doesn't matter if they raise car tax in the budget. Half the cars I see in my estate aren't taxed anyway so there's plenty of people driving without valid tax.

When you go to renew your motor tax you are forced to pay back tax unless car was declared off the road in advance or if car was recently sold, even to partner. Selling a car to a partner costs a euro for a stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Apparently you don't even need a stamp, it is Freepost 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

So .. the car isn't due an NCT for the first 4 years... How is it calculated during this time period .

It would be self declaration each year at motor tax renewal time. When you go to sell car you might need to write mileage on sales form when sending to Shannon. I'm not saying it's ideal, but it could work, and it's somewhat fair. There are issues with other tax collection systems, property tax self valuation, water charges, ESB/gas and renewables, TV licence, self declaration income tax, but they work more or less.

So what do folk think around impact on 2nd hand ICE car prices with this news? They’re artificially high right now due to massive supply issues- personally I’m saving up for a new EV because I’m pretty much convinced that between fuel and the promised tolls and congestion charges the daily running costs of ICE cars will make them a tipping point to go EV - I mean the Greens are sharing power- it’s not a pleasant feeling and we’ve been here in the past with their tax everything approach and no imagination or proper supported stimulus to change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Well electricity prices have risen faster than petrol/diesel prices in the past few weeks, and the Government can't even guarantee we're going to have electricity for the next 3-4 Christmases, so the promised savings may not materialise, and of course you have the inconvenience of EV (range and re-charging times) over ICE. And if the reports are to be believed, then popular EVs like the Volkswagens, are going to rise by up to €5,000 but ICE equivalent will only rise by €1,200, and it's not as if EVs aren't a lot more expensive over the ICE equivalent as things stand despite all the taxpayers' money spent on cars that aren't that eco-friendly and are nowhere near as convenient as petrol and diesel.

But probably best to make a decision after the budget for sure.

Advertisement