Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opening car door from inside when locked?

• 01-10-2021 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Can you open your car door from the inside if the car is locked?

Sit in your car, make sure the car is turned off, lock it with the remote key fob. Now try and get out without using the key fob.

Of our 2 cars I can open the doors of a Mitsubishi Outlander from the inside if locked with the remote key but our Hyundai Ioniq keeps you prisoner. This seems dangerous and I must be missing something that allows someone to exit the car if locked in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

Double locking won't allow the doors from being opened from the inside. Maybe the Mitzi doesn't have double locking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,951 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

How is it dangerous if you have the fob? You wouldn't lock yourself into a room and declare it to be dangerous because you can't get out without using the key. Perhaps a better experiment would be to get an another person to lock you in the vehicle and see if you can get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm guessing there is an "unlock" button on the door or in the center console

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Thats really the question but needs 2 people to try it. If you leave someone sitting in the car and absentmindedly lock the car as you walk off then they can’t get out of some cars. This is the part that seems dangerous. And yes I know it shouldn’t happen but lots of things shouldn’t happen but do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Most modern cars do that.

On any VW product when you turn off the engine and open the drivers door you get a message on the dash saying "check safelock" to remind you that the car has deadlocks.

When you get out of the car and press lock on the keyfob the inner door handles wont work but if you press lock twice in quick succession then they will work from the inside but not the outside, although i've no idea why you'd want that really.

I don't think it's really a danger, it's up to the operator to know how to use it and you shouldn't really be locking people in the car, particularly if you don't fully understand how the locks work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

As others have said, it's an intentional feature called double locking (or deadlocking, depending on the manufacturer). It's basically an extra layer of security, which means you can, for instance, leave your windows ajar on a hot day and not have to worry about someone snaking an arm in and opening the doors from the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Surprisingly still an optional extra on VW, Skoda, Audi etc Irish spec.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's a danger if there is anything wrong with the electrics or electronics.

Depending on the car you may be able to disable deadlock by removing a relay or fuse.

The disadvantage is that you have to lock each door manually. Some doors have smarts in them so may have to pair the door with the car again with some secret key turning combo (not sure but if I ever need to do that but I'd have the windows and doors physically open just in case it decided to stay locked )

The advantage is that something like a bad solder joint in your door won't stop you locking or unlocking the door which is really annoying when you are in a rush or trapped in a burning vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So the driver forgetting that they have left someone in the car is the manufactures fault! It's a feature of cars for at least 20 years and only now is it a safety issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Sure, someone's abject stupidity is always someone else's fault.

People that stupid never take personal responsibility for what they do 😜

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Deadlocks were a thing on executive cars back in the 1980's. It's always been a safety issue.

IIRC there was a woman caught inside a Mercedes because the door wouldn't open. Fire killed her. Ireland can't remember when but it was a long time ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So we've had them since the 80s and there's maybe 1 case you know of. Sounds like they aren't that big a safety issue after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Force of habit can cause a person to lock people into a car. And that does not necessarily make you a stupid person.

For example, I am usually alone in the car. When I get petrol, I automatically lock the car when I go into the shop to pay for it. I have also done this a few times when there is a person in the car.

Not a comfortable feeling for the person left in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

On my current car (Skoda Superb), once you lock the car with the fob, it's automatically deadlocked.

I have to say, I'm more comfortable with the implementation on most of my previous cars, where you simply had to had to press the button on the fob twice to activate the deadlock. You end up with the same level of security, but with more control over it for minimal extra effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is pros and cons. The pro is that it reduces the chance of someone robbing your valuables or car. It's adjustable on some cars such as pressing lock twice. Main thing it stops someone bending door out at top and fishing or unlocking cars. This is very common to steal valuables, it does not break the window glass and can be done with practice with zero tools using knees and force. They often try dozens of cars in an estate in a row, first checking are they unlocked, (very common) and then looking in windows for valuables or coats on seats. They then try to open quietly often by bending out top of door.

Sometimes cars also lock doors above a certain speed, say 20km/h partly to prevent randomers opening doors at traffic lights and stealing handbags from passenger seats.

In one model of BMW there was a water sensor in case car drove into a river. It would automatically unlock the doors and open the window, but opened window on wrong side due to eu/UK differences. There was a recall or software update. Sometimes these safety devices can be mis used by thieves such as hitting bumper to trigger airbags, which also unlocks the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

did this at an under 12 boys GAA game a few years back

Got to the pitch, got out, emptied the boot and then locked the car.

Went to the pitch and started warming up the lads, someone asked me where my lad and a couple of others were

Looked around for them couldn't see them

I had locked 3 of them in the car, and they couldn't get out

The fact the alarm was going off and I didn't notice that either , is a double whammy

Anyway we won the game and their parents didn't sue me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just tried it on my 2012 octavia.

as at least one other poster has mentioned, one press of the lock button on the fob double locks the door; two presses single locks it (i.e. one pull on the inner door handle to unlock it, second pull to open it).

Advertisement