Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballistech Wexford - Unbelievable Customer Service

• 30-09-2021 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I had a hardly used cz 452 threaded by this company a few months ago and then purchased a moderator about a month later.

On fitting the moderator I noticed that there was just slight play in the thread until it tightened. Ok no problem.

When sighting it in, I couldn't get it to shoot straight. In fact it was all over the place and one bullet had clipped the end of the moderator.

I know about threading and even did some as part of my engineering apprenticeship when younger. I did hand threading and in a lathe. So I know exactly the processes of how this should be done and a bit of what could be wrong.

I knew for something to be this far out over the length of the moderator (80mm), that it would be visibly off center.

On inspecting the threading by Ballistech, It was perfect and I could even see where it had been in the lathe because of the 'chuck jaws' marks on the barrel. The threading looked perfectly central to the bore.

I had wanted the remains of the foresight left on in case I could put the little foresight back on at a later date. But this moderator came over the barrel for 3"/80mm when fitting. So I had to file it almost completely away and shape it to get the moderator to fit. This I did and all was good. The moderator thread looked perfect as you would expect.

So the inaccuracy was all a bit of a mystery and I videod it all and then got in touch with Josh who didnt really understand my distorted explanation. Suddenly I am passed to Don who said send the video. I had to film it again with my phone (smaller file size). Don couldn't understand what was happening, but told me to send it all back to him with the moderator.

Don receives it and couldn't understand why this was happening, but spent time investigating what was wrong even though his previous work was perfectly ok. He investigated using a process that only engineers would know about. He then discovered the strange problem.

The problem was the finished internal shape of the moderator (curved) where it butts up against the barrel when tightened. This in my case even though the foresight wasnt interfering with the fit and was clear. The last tightening of what was thousands of an inch was the problem as the internal moderator shape just caught what was left of the foresight. The foresight was catching the moderator at the top of the barrel. Whereas normally the moderator would fit flush flat on the barrel 360 degrees. It was probably stopping the moderator turn only a few more degrees to tighten and slightly tipping the moderator off center. The moderator aligns itself perfectly when it seats against the barrel. In my case because there was a little high point of about 3mm of the foresight at the top. This curve inside the moderator hit that just before seating at the end of the barrel.

This although simple would never have been discovered, because it is all hidden within the moderator which is covering the barrel by some 80mm. It would not have been discovered without an experienced and thorough investigation. Don showed me the discovery (photos) and put the gun back in his lathe and machined it more so the moderator would definitely fit and butt up against the barrel exactly.

Don's previous threading was faultless and this investigation into the mystery was beyond the call of duty and most likely time consuming. Let alone the extra machining and sending the gun back at his expense.

He wouldn't accept any payment and when I opened the box there was 2 boxes of bullets in there with my gun.

What do you say to that? In this day and age for a business to do all this for nothing is unreal and as rare as hens teeth. I can't thank him enough.

What I do say is that if you need any work done to your gun, then Ballistech is the business to take care of it for you.

I would also say, that if you want to purchase anything, then Ballistech is a number one gun shop to use where you can expect customer service you would be hard pushed to ever find anywhere. Even though I am the other end of the country to them, I would definitely use this gun shop in the future. Maybe you lads will as well I hope.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Paddyviking

Don & Josh run a first class business with first class service 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Scalachi

I would be far from a regular customer there, but for me, when I had an issue last year with something not even purchased from them, they went above and beyond to help me.

Every interaction with them has been positive in terms of service and cost, they certainly would get a recommendation from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

Had a buddy with an issue into them this week, great work according to my friend. Ive been in there once in the last 3 months for some cleaning bits. Great customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭JP22

Bought my rifle from them a few years back, excellent lads to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

"A happy customer tells ten people,an unhappy one tells a hundred."The above OP is why they will be a successful busisness.

Wishing Don and John every continued success.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not a shooter these days but I am always a fan of great customer service in any field. Well done on calling it out too, great to see it appreciated as well as offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭chris20

Got my new 457 from Don earlier this year, Couldn't recommend him any more ,absolute gentleman, I'm not local to the shop but it has become a regular online shop for me

Advertisement