Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O Connels Bar

Options
  • 28-09-2021 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭

What's with the big steel structure that was installed at the front of Connels Bar in Eyre Square, it's out past the footpath on to the street is this permanent or a support for the renovation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd guess it's support for the renovation.

A couple of photos from the last week or so. As at today, the scaffolding has been brought around the corner at the front. Maybe someone with engineering knowledge can tell us what they see. (I have suspicions, but could be very wrong.)

Personally, I've not been walking past the building on that side of the street for some time.

I've heard stories that the entire inside has been gutted. Not sure whether to believe them or not: there was no sign of work being done before the recent re-inforcing.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Never liked this place for some reason. Its simply incomprehensible that the entire interior would be gutted as its on the Register of Protected Structures. Planning permisson would be required for the most minor alteration to the fabric of the structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭sgthighway

They are carrying out upgrades to the Foundations. Great to see work has commenced. Look forward to going back there.

Yeah they announced earlier in the year, that structural damage had been found.

Can't wait for the place to re-open. Love having a pint in there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The ceiling in the front bar is whats gives it this listing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Seems they are slated to re-open in November '21 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Had heard it was one best exampled of metal ceiling in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I thought it seemed like a weird time to start working or maybe it just became more cosnpicuous recently. I see the bar from my bus stop and it didn't seem much was happening until a time when a lot of other pubs were reopening.

Do hope they have managed to preserve that listed ceiling then. Is that the reason for the red metal; scaffolding structure as well as the more conventional stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

No, the red is paint. The RSJ's (the metal beams) are painted to slow-down / prevent rusting.

I was thinking that whatever the scaffolding that happens to be red seemed to be a stronger more robust type than what has been around the side and that it may be there to keep the ceiling intact. The colour wasn't the focus, just that it happens to be that colour. Otherwise seemed to have pretty much removed support for ceilings etc as far as i could see and therefore might be endangering a listed ceiling. Which is why that particular type of support had been introduced. May be there for other reasons I dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

The steel structure plus concrete weights look more like a system to support the upper structure of the building. Possibly issues with foundations or under pinning?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Looks like a cantilever set up while they're digging out the founds underneath front wall

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

A former member of staff told me the front of the building had started leaning out, an rsj problem hence the rsj and concrete weights system in place as a temporary foundation relief in place currently

Supporting the upper structure is going to have the knock on effect of protecting the listed ceiling. JUst would have thought that the ceiling itself may be something of a priority to be protected so good that it will be. hate to think of it being destroyed in the process or anything.

I was thinking earlier of remembering taht pub as a small, old men's type pub that mainly consisted of taht front room a couple of decades ago so was surprised when the idea of it being a protected building came up until the main focus of that protection was pointed out. It has changed pretty massively in the last couple of decades.

I have looked acrfoss the road and seen the building above the pub entrance and seen that it seems not to fit such a popular pub or something to taht effect. I take the bus from across the road from it. Was teh pub garden always part of it. I remember them throwing gigs in there before it got made up as the beer/pizza garden but can't think back to what there was when it was still the small one room pub. I think it has been able to expand backwards a bit anyway hasn't it? So was there a building behind it that has since been removed.

Advertisement