Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

should I buy it ?

Options
  • 29-09-2021 8:43pm

hi all, ,looking for. a new bike, currently have a very good spec carbon race bike, looking for something different, but have a difficult time trying to find something available etc, just like everyone. spotted this, https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/intl_en/roadmachine-x-two.html anyone any opinion good or bad, need to ride all year round, down country roads, lane etc, not sure I want to spend that much, but 3k doesn't really get a whole lot these days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

It wouldn’t be for me.

I cant see how or why it costs €5k.

But it might be right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It looks deadly but... What is it? Is it a gravel bike?

I'm currently using a carbon cyclocross bike as a do it all trainer on and off road so I definitely understand where you're coming from but it is a feic of a lot of money.

On the other hand, if I ever want to have one I need brave lads like yourself to buy them, mind them and then sell them to me! :)

So yeah, if you're a 56, go for it and we'll talk in 2023. Otherwise, you'd have as much fun and functionality out of a carbon cx bike for 2 grand imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like the conversion rate brings it to €4.5k. not that much cheaper than €5k...

Wireless, electronic gearing will cost you a pretty penny, a BMC with it a small fortune. They make lovely bikes but I'm not a fan of that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

It’s Rival Axs 12-speed though, not the new di2.

That stuff is weighty.

Listed weight for the bike is 1kg I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ah it's electronic alright, that new Rival axs etap, which is inexplicably heavy. Reportedly 3.2+ kg for just the groupset. 🙄.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the slightly more expensive version is reviewed here (force XPLR groupset)

https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/bmc-roadmachine-x-one-2022-first-ride-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

It's only rated to take 33c tyres which I don't think is wide enough for gravel/off-road use. That's the same as my Specialized Roubaix, which I wouldn't dream of taking off-road. I also don't see much point of electronic shifting on a x1 setup, the cable works just fine and is much lighter.

good points, electronic 1x is a bit overkill, I’ve had a few cx bikes, the 1x is grand, wouldn’t be going off-road as such, just a bit of poorly surfaced back roads, and some canal paths

Advertisement