Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New boiler for letting property

Options
  • 29-09-2021 4:54pm

The hot water suddenly went on my letting property, so my agent sent a gas installer to investigate. The old boiler is completely defunct and needs replacement. Going to cost me €2300, spread over payments taken during the following months of rent by my agent.

I look after my own tax affairs, and would assume this would by treated by Revenue as a repairs issue, and from my research this far I am fairly confident this would be the case rather than it being treated as a depreciating capital asset like, eg white goods.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Technically the fitting is a repair, the boiler is an asset to be depreciated over 8 years or so.

But personally, I'd just lump it all as a repair

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I lumped it in as a repair.

are you sure it’s just the boiler ? Might be worthwhile changing old rads.

It’s definitely the boiler, nothing right with it. They haven’t the heat on yet, but they have no hotel water.

If the property is pre-2006 you may qualify for a SEAI grant

• Advertisement

It’s not a pre 2006 build so definitely doesn’t qualify. It’s a well insulated property too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

do rentals?. And to qualify you need to jump through hoops that Jack up the price. Better off just going for a basic swap. But as I said check the rads. Might be worth changing them too

Advertisement