Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Did anyone make a provisional application for hybrid course? Did LS come back to you on it?

I contacted the LS and they advised that they are not taking provisional applications, and that they recommend having all documents ready, and posting when you get results.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭vkfe1

I know me too, this is the stage i panic and start to question if i have enough topics. I'm doing:

• DOC
    • SOC
    • Vicarious
    • Product
    • Defamation
    • Nervous Shock
    • R V F and Nuisance (I think RVF will come up but sure doing Nuisance anyway cos' I've the fear 🙄)
    • Trespass to the Person
    • Passing off (as a back up)
    • Liability for Animals (i know it's come up like 4 times but it's one page of notes and easy to learn).

What about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

I was also told that they wouldn't accept my application until I had passed the exam so interested on this too as I see some people were told differently!

I'm not going to rush to get it in before the exams at this stage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

I was at the lecture and didn't get anything yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 EM95

Just a reminder that if you are sitting the exams in person you have to return the form by today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Lightup1

From my grid free movement of services came up in March 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭murray132

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭AA21

Anyone have an updated property grid

• Registered Users Posts: 38 T2020

Do you think would it be safe to leave out free movement of services seeing as it came up in March? I would much rather if I didnt have to cover it..

• Registered Users Posts: 36 FE1Rookies

Hey, by any chance does anyone have sample answers for constitutional? TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 orlaghs

PROPERTY

does anyone know what the essay Q on land registration was for the March 21 exam?

I'm thinking of preparing an essay on the mirror principle/s69 burdens in registered land but I know a Q in March was on this chapter, just not sure of the actual question!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

seems like everyone is getting different answers from the LS... i was told its okay to submit it before the deadline, then when results are out it will be considered

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

I was also told via email to submit it and then they would process it fully when my results came out. My friend last year submitted hers and then just paid the 840 when her results came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

yeah thats what i did also... i think either way is still accepted by the LS

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Creg12

Tort

Nov 200

critically discuss the liability of volunteers in the law of tort under legislation and case law.

Is this essentially essay on good Samaritans / rescuers?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Law101

Company

Would I get away with :

Corporate personality

Directors Duties

Restrictions & Qualifications

Dispositions of Companies Assets

Shareholder protection & Remedies

Corporate Borrowings

Examinership

Im not doing Ultra Vires, I think this came up last year, or receivership and winding up (think they came up too). So Im gambling on Examinership.

Anyone have anything I should add? Maybe Share transfer? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 38 orlaghs

I would include adv of incorporation maybe? And share transfer also

I've also seen a few people flag receivership and liquidation over examinership so i'm going to gamble that way, and i'm also leaving out ultra vires

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭coffeeandlaw

Anyone have the March company script?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

Yeah as said above, it is always the same essay so I would say it will be fine to leave out

"According to the Property Registration Authority, 

"By international comparison, Ireland has a very extensive and well-developed system of land registration. Since the foundation of the Land Registry in 1892, there has been a gradual, ongoing and continuous programme of movement away from the older and limited system of recording Deeds (in the Registry of Deeds), to the more modern, ‘exible and comprehensive ’title registrationT system provided through the Land Registry."

Considering the above statement, describe and discuss the system for recording property transactions in Ireland."

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭AA21

Tort:

I am doing

Doc/Soc

Passing Off

Tresspass to the person

Rylands v Fletcher

Defamation

Passing off

Vicarious Liability

Products Liability

What else should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 FE1Rookies

• Registered Users Posts: 33 13545327

Constitutional Law HOT TOPICS

Property Rights;

Freedom of Expression;

Non-Delegation;

Any topic with a recent Supreme Court Case.

Get Studying Peeps !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

• Registered Users Posts: 33 13545327

More of an un-educated opinion 😂

No, I was chatting to somebody in higher places although with all predictions they tend to be educated guesses.

Constitution examiner tends to ask very recent cases and the three topics I mentioned do come up frequently so it may not be a bad opinion.

Obviously study more topics to cover yourself but this is a useful guide. I've done all the major topics which are predictable considering the wide variation and I'm going to use the "recent cases" as fillers for topics ; because there's 42 topics and sub-topics in total and there isn't enough time in the 21st century to fully revise everything !

Do as you may, but I'm hardly wrong !

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

I know where you’re coming from! They’re all pretty important topics you mentioned… just thought you heard something more! I’ve them all covered! I’d be shocked if family/children didn’t come up! Think it’s due!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭AA247

Hey sorry if this was already asked but could someone write in what came up specifically in the last company exam please?

Question 1

“Following the enactment of the Companies Act 2014, the doctrine of ultra vires has been abolished for LTDs, to which Parts 2 to 15 apply, but remains in place for DACs, PLCs, CLGs and UCs”.

You are required to discuss and explain this statement. Support your answer with appropriate reference to relevant caselaw and statutory provisions.

Question 2

Jackie’s business has failed. For the last 6 years, Jackie operated a florist shop from a unit in a shopping centre outside of Dublin. The business was conducted through her company which is now called Smell That DAC (the “Company) of which Jackie was the sole shareholder and one of two directors, the other director being Jackie’s former fiance, Ted. Jackie contacted Ted to tell him the company was insolvent and they agreed to hold a directors’ meeting with a view to putting the Company into creditors’ voluntary winding up. On meeting with Jackie and Ted, you elicit the following information:

-      The Company now owes 500,000 in back rent and taxes. The Company has struggled through the recession, as people have had less disposable income to spend on flowers. The final straw has been an increase in rent on the shop unit the Company rents, which was increased from "20,000 to "40,000 per month.

-      The Revenue Commissioners have not been paid VAT on sales or PRSI or PAYE due on Jackie’s salary from the Company for three months.

-      In addition, the Revenue Commissioners have issued an assessment for "50,000 in relation to back tax owed to them which the Company cannot afford to pay. The circumstances in which this has become due were that Jackie had hired a teenage girl to work a few hours on a Saturday morning, paying her cash in hand. When this was discovered by the Revenue Commissioners, they claimed for lost PRSI and PAYE tax on the girl’s earnings over a two-year period.

-      The Company’s books and records have been maintained by a local book-keeper to an acceptable standard, however, on the way to delivering the books and records to the book-keeper for the last 12 month period, Jackie’s car was stolen and the books and records destroyed when joy-rider thieves set fire to the car.

-      Ted, the Company’s second director, has not been active in the business of the Company. He agreed to be a director whilst engaged to Jackie because every company needs two directors, but he has not been active in the Company’s business, apart from signing accounts and forms when asked to do so. Although they have since split up, the break-up was amicable but Ted only agreed to stay on until é Jackie could find someone else to become a director.

-      The liquidator has been looking to meet with them both but to date, while Jackie has met with him, Ted has not, having left a message with the liquidator’s office to say “there is nothing I can help you with”.

You are required to advise both Jackie and Ted on the likelihood that they will be restricted under section 719 of the Companies Act 2014, and in particular on the defences available to them.

Support your answer with appropriate reference to relevant caselaw and statutory provisions.

Question 3

Paul is a director of Cars4All Limited (the “Company”) which operates a new-car sales business in South County Dublin. Paul is not a shareholder in the Company, which is owned by a family consortium headed-up by Simon, although Paul has worked in the Company for 10 years; fjrst as a car salesman, before being promoted on a number of occasions, until finally being appointed a director of the Company with responsibility for sales. There are three other directors (all family members, making four directors in total).

Simon, the majority shareholder and Managing Director of the Company approaches you for advice. 't has come to his knowledge that Paul has been operating privately a business on the side for the last two years selling second-hand cars through a website fronted by his wife, Pauline. Specifically, Simon has heard that: Pauline has been buying second-hand cars from the Company )these are cars which have been traded-in by customers of the Company against the purchase price of a new cark_ Paul has facilitated the sale of those second-hand cars at a discounted price before selling them on for a significant profit on their website_ and Paul has been using the Company’s garage-workshop to service the cars late at night and on Sundays when the garage-workshop is closed. He has also used spare parts belonging to the Company but has not reimbursed the Company for these.

You are required to advise Simon on the following:

a) whether you believe there have been any breaches of the duties owed to the Company by its director, Paul, under Part 5 of the Companies Act 2014; and

b) the remedies that are available to the Company arising from any breach of duties.

In your answer you must cite all relevant case and statute law and attempt to apply these to the facts provided above.

Question 4

“The causes of crystallisation of a floating charge are now well settled in Irish case law”.

You are required to discuss this statement. Support your answer with appropriate reference to relevant caselaw and statutory provisions.

Question 5

“Generally speaking this principle [i.e. that a company is a legal entity distinct from its members] and the statutory rules of company law in which the principle is implicit apply to the relationship between holding companies and subsidiaries and to transactions between them and third parties” - Re Frederick Inns Ltd [1991] ILRM 572 (HC) at 587 (Lardner J)

You are required to discuss this application of the principle of separate corporate personality in the specific context of holding companies and subsidiaries. Support your answer with appropriate reference to relevant caselaw and statutory provisions.

Question 6

Irish BooHs Limited (the “Company”) is an on-line wine shop operating from an industrial estate in West Dublin. The Company has a term loan and overdraft from Big Bank plc (the Bank) secured by a mortgage debenture incorporating a first charge over its premises. Its borrowings are also secured by a separate fixed charge over its book debts. Book debts are paid into a separate account which the Bank can freeze at its discretion. Both charges were created in 2016.

Due to poor turnover, the Company stopped repaying its loans to the Bank which then appointed a receiver. Last month the directors placed the Company into creditors’ voluntary liquidation. Following her appointment, the Company’s liquidator inspected the security which the Bank holds for its loans to the Company. The liquidator tells you that:

a) through an oversight, the mortgage debenture in favour of the Bank comprising the fixed charge over its premises which contained the power to appoint the receiver was not registered in the Companies Registration Offjce under section 409 of the Companies Act 2014; and

b) the charge over the book debts was registered under section 409; however, the charge created over a bank account into which book debts was paid was not registered under section 409 and the liquidator tells you that the Revenue Commissioners are claiming priority of the amounts due to them ahead of sum due to the bank.

You are required to advise the liquidator on the enforceability of the security described in a) and b) which must be clearly distinguished in your answer as both parts carry equal marks.

Support your answer with appropriate reference to relevant caselaw and statutory provisions.

Question 7

“A statutory predecessor of section 31 of the Companies Act 2014 has been described as giving rise to a statutory contract of the most sacred character”

You are required to discuss this statement, explaining the nature and effect of section 31 of the Companies Act 2014. Support your answer with appropriate reference to relevant caselaw and statutory provisions.

Question 8

Harry is an insolvency practitioner and was recently appointed by Big Bank plc (the Bank) to be receiver to Totally PC Coffee Limited (the “Company”) on foot of a debenture the Company had given to the Bank to secure its borrowings. The Bank is owed over 2,000,000 by the Company and the Company’s principal asset is a unit in an industrial estate in North County Dublin where it mixes, packages and distributes coffee beans sourced from a fair-trade plantation in Brazil. The unit was acquired by the Company for "2,500,000 in 2007.

Harry believes that the premises is currently worth in the region of 1,500,000 and has a firm offer for that amount. There is another interested party who has said to Harry that he might be prepared to offer 1,900,000 in another three months when he can raise the cash. Harry is also receiving telephone calls on a daily basis from Richard, the managing director and sole shareholder in the Company, asking Harry to make sure he gets the best price for the property. Harry is aware that Richard gave a personal guarantee to the Bank and is aware that if there is a shortfall between the price received for the property and the amount owing to the Bank, he as guarantor will be liable in that amount.

You are required to advise Harry on his duties as a receiver having particular regard to the duties owed to the Company and also whether he owes any separate duties to a guarantor. Support your answer with appropriate reference to relevant caselaw and statutory provisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭AA247

Advertisement