Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CI Leisure Commission AGM

• 28-09-2021 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

Delighted to see that Cycling Ireland's Leisure Commission are holding an on-line AGM on October 17th. In advance of that, they have invited Leisure Members to submit feedback on every aspect of leisure cycling by October 5th. This will feed into the agenda for the AGM. If you are a member and haven't received the invite email, probably best to contact them at leisure@cyclingireland.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭mamax

Clubs have been dealing with the fallout of the price of leisure membership the last few years, it's way too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

problem is you cant make it that much cheaper, I'm almost of the opinion it needs to be a lot more and provide proper third party insurance medical benefits solicitor access etc etc

rather than trying to pretend they can deliver everything for 50 euro a year (or whatever it is)

although our club membership has fallen significantly over the last few years, the interest in competitive cycling has waned and CI are struggling to give people anything worthwhile that doesnt involve that IMHO

Post edited by ednwireland on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Way to high compared to what? What kind of cover do you expect for €50 or less?

The insurance is effectively useless, given the limits (€500 physio, €2000/2500 dental/medical and the peach of bunch €150/week for a max of 13 weeks) and the €250 excess. To access that you will have to deal with a claims handler who will probably melt your head with forms etc

A self employed person, especially someone doing physical work, would want to have proper cover independent of CI cover which won't be much good if one suffers a significant injury.

Proper cover costs proper money.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think it is the club membership that I find hard to justify, not the CI membership which does in fact give you beenfits (from various discounts to the training hub, etc.)

With the club, I get to go on club spins, etc but none of that incurs a cost. From what I can see, my entire club membership fee is directed towards racing, which I have no involvement in. I can't think of anything I've received from the club that was funded through my membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭jamesd

My club charges €20 membership per year, they use this really just to pay the CI club membership fees - I dont think €20 is too much to give the club - the only other spend they seem to have is donating some of the money to support a local cycling doing a cycle for charity.

• Advertisement

My club is €50 annually - something I need to discuss at the club's AGM I guess.

our club was 5 euro last year we reduced because of reduced activities. normally charge 20. like it said it just provides a float for the club league and paying affiliation fees atc.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Compared to other sports, cycling club membership fees really are very low. I consider what I pay very good value - I get access to leisure spins, off road, coaching and club races. All for €40. Considering all the other expenditure I have on cycling, the club fees are probably my best bang for buck each year.

For what it's worth I think a leisure license is a waste of money - limited competition is a much better deal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you're doing a load of sportives though, it covers the insurance/one day licence for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm a purely leisure cyclist. I've never done a sportive, or an organised event of any description. I did contemplate doing the grass routes grand Fondo, but it didn't work out for a variety of reasons.

I've never even contemplated paying a CI membership. I see exactly zero benefit in it for me

Post edited by cletus on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd suggest getting involved in the committee tbh. I know in my club, the Leisure sub-group do get funding and support for their activities, and in before times there were club only sportives (as well as an open one). Money also goes to the youths (who have free club membership) to support them. As well as the racing side of the club.

I've been involved in club committees in the past and somewhat regret it because of the politics. However, I'll raise my thoughts at our AGM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I agree with Macy, is there a leisure rep in your club? If there isn't one then the position should be created. I know all about club politics but sometimes you have to grit your teeth and get stuck in again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,996 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this.

i did a double take when i read that €50 was considered pricey. i'm not a member of a cycling club, so the main comparison i'd make would be with the woodturning chapter i'm a member of; it's €90 a year just to join (that combines club and national guild membership) and it's €6 entry to each monthly meet (when they happen - not for the last 18 months).

so to join and turn up at each event will cost a minimum of €162. i know they're very different beasts, but €50 is pittance compared to joining most clubs, i suspect

In fairness, to join a club involves joining the club (in my case for €50) and also CI which would be another €50.

I spent the best part of a decade on a committee running a field sport club. Our senior subs were over €300. For this our members got 6 months of matches and 2 training sessions a week. Our outgoings were pitch rental, national body subs and paying for coaches. Cycling clubs run on a fraction of this budget, for a longer portion of the year and people still give out about the subs. Pick another sport (say golf) and the comparison is even more stark.

Post edited by lissard on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I am only a leisure cyclist and not attached to any club .. i have leisure membership with Cycling Ireland for a couple of reasons ... Insurance side of things as a piece of mind, and also hoping that my sub helps keep CI running. Also hopefully some portion of the sub helps the future generations with support if they want to take cycling/racing seriously.

I haven't joined a local cycling club for a number of reasons, one being that whenever i do cross paths with them on a club spin, they don't even acknowledge you when you say Hi, plus 2 of the close call accidents i had in the last number of years have involved club cyclists coming out into my path from a side turning without even looking ...

Anyway, the cost of the CI leisure membership is quite low compared to other sports i'm involved in ... by quite a large margin

@Seth Brundle I take no credit, as I'm not involved with it, but the leisure group is probably the most active of the Adult side of the club.

On the wider point, I guess value for money is different from cost. However, I started out being involved in Triathlon. Cycling is unbelievably cheap compared to that (especially for racing, and no need to enter months in advance). Triathlon coaching fees were on top, whereas the coaching in my cycling club is free. I also have to pay the fees for a couple of field sports for my children both under 15 - they're more than my racing licence and club membership for each club.

@Seth Brundle I take no credit, as I'm not involved with it, but the leisure group is probably the most active of the Adult side of the club.

My gripe is more that the leisure cycling side of the club (from what I can see over the last number of years) appears to recieve no funding. The racing side of the club appears to use all of the funding. The club does not organise charity sportives or anything like that. The Saturday club spins effectively are a bunch of people who get together.

I wasn't disputing the cost of membership, merely moaning that in my case, it appears that club funding is focused in one area only and therefore, for me, doesn't represent value. This is somehting that needs to be addressed within the club. However, I still think the CI membership is value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭blackbox

Comparing it with a golf club that has to own and maintain a course and clubhouse is not valid.

I guess it depends whether any of the leisure side are looking for funding? There probably wasn't much spending on it until an active sub committee formed, and have driven things like couch to 50km, leisure challenges etc.

@blackbox Some clubs do have club houses. But again, any events/ races with bases do need rental paid, food paid for, there are CI club affiliation fees too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Plastik

I think both of you lads are in the same club.

problem is i dont know what leisure riders want form a club, I'm primarily a leisure rider and to be honest i cant think what CI can give me apart from maybe better insurance policies that cover me when cycling and gives me access to lawyers in the event of . outside of that what do people want.

much more definable goals when focused on racing and coaching etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

This is why I don'y have a CI membership. The health insurance I pay for is much more comprehensive than what the membership covers, and the liability insurance has a €500 excess. Having said that, I'm not in a club either, as I don't see what a club would offer me from a leisure point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Morris Garren

This is a perpetual issue- year after year the question is asked of 'leisure cyclists i.e. what do you want/need money/funding for? Perhaps clubs can justify spend on racing/coaching/youth etc, and sharing funds for social purposes. But leisure cycling? Can never understand this gripe

Same with GAA club, and the absolutely atrocious insurance costs associated with them.

If you want to be a racing member, with access to coaching, you should surely be paying extra for access to coaching. If you want to be a leisure member then you shouldn't have to subsidise racing cylists at all. Subsidising junior members / youth racing is all well and good, but subsidising the A4s and even limited competition folk and up shouldn't be part of the membership imo

• Advertisement

It's not just racing members that can (and do) access training though? A lot of clubs do skills sessions for group riding, intro to group riding, some even have it as a condition of joining a club. I would think most coaching is free/ internal rather than an additional cost, with clubs paying to coach the coach(es) in the most part?

I like the social aspect of group spins - I really bloody missed them over the various lockdowns especially remote working. I know of several "unofficial" groups that meet, even have kits etc - you'd wonder where they'd stand, legally, if something went wrong though.

Advertisement