Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

With the Eddi even without BER that's a great price I've DM'd you if you could pass on the installers details?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭rgfuller

After reading about 1/2 this thread and a few others, I'm now ready to find a company to quote for a system for me, so to that end looking for recommendations (via pm) for any decent companies who work in West Dublin (Lucan). Thanks, and will post quotes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Agreed. This is a good price even without the BER.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Max Wattage as many have stated this preference, so hopefully 14 Panels (though I may not manage that many), if they will fit on my roof orientation(s) with likely 3 optimisers given the layouts, correctly sized inverter, immersion diverter and likely a 5kw battery.

Post edited by rgfuller on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Also got another quote which seems like alot better value. Guys didn't seem quiet as knowledgeable as other companies and weren't as clear on warranties for individual parts etc. but hard to look past the price if its going to produce similar to others for 3k less! Would welcome any feed back from you knowledgeable folks on the equipment proposed in terms of reliability and thoughts on value for money here!

Quote 4:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Get 3 references from former customers and call them. The price is good and know equipment. Make sure he has them in stock and registered with the SEAI as an installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

That's pretty good from what I've seen myself. Since it's hard to remember what everyone needs/want, your not going for a diverter then for the immersion? Fiscally, it's not a great move. €500 or so, which will take _a long time_ to pay back in terms of hot water, but many (myself included) see the convenience of it for 6-7 months of the year.

When looking 5-6 weeks ago, one of the quotes I got was 12x380 (4.56Kwp) with 5kw inverter, 5.2Kwhr battery with EDDI and that was for €7500. PM me if you need the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

Two quotes received, thanks to those that have PM'ed me installer details and to everyone that has posted in general.

Neither mentions BER certification

Quote 1: 3.42kW

9 380W Q-Cells Solar PV Panels/Modules 

3.0kW Ginlong Solis 4G Inverter

EDDI Smart Immersion

PV Protect / Shunt Switch

AC & DC Isolators 

AC & DC Cable

Renusol Roof Mounting Kit 

Quote Total € 5,504.24 

After €1,800 SEAI Grant € 3,704.24 

Quote 2: 2.8/3.2kw

Slightly vague in terms of information provided and totally ridiculous in terms of the output for a year!

7/8 TrinaSolar TallMax panels giving between a 2.8/3.2kw PV system

Eddi iBoost for Heating Hot Water

Solis inverter 

Ulholme 2.4kw Battery.

Quote                  € 8,000

Less Seai Ireland Grant  € 2,400 - this seems incorrect

Customer pays          € 5,600   

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Quote 2 - forget about anyone that can't put together a proper quote as good luck in the grant submission

Quote 1 - If there is any chance you could put up more panels now or in the future then refresh a quote with larger inverter, also out of interest get another quote with a battery setup just to see the difference, if it's only a couple of hundred then consider the battery setup

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The grant is lower as you need 4kwp to get the full 3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

Yes agree but just checked the the Seai info and 3.2kW plus battery the grant would be 2.7k.

Tbh it pretty much summed up the installer in terms of lack of detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Correct. But maybe installer was using the 2.8k (7 panels) for the grant calculation. Regardless what slave1 said is correct. Forget about quote 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Midlakelands

Hi all

As so many here are doing I am now shopping around for a solar/battery combination. I *think* I have a quote from a popular installer in enniskillen (I guessed the name so a pm to confirm it would be great!)) and it matches what many here have received. I am wondering if anyone has a picture of an installation with this or similar setup as I want to put it in my garage and I'd like to understand the space needed especially for the batteries. Regarding the panel installation I don't have a lot of space on the garage but I do have a perfect spot in the garden for a ground mounted system. Has anyone any recent quotes for this? Is it much more expensive than a roof system?

12 PANELS 340 WATT.4KW. JA SOLAR 25 YEARS GUARANTEE.

4.8 PLYON TEC .BATTERY .

5KW HYBRID SOLIS INVERTER.

EDDI WATER DIVERTER.

WI FI DONGLE.

PRICE 10500 EUROS

TOTAL 7500 EUROS (INC SEAI GRANT)

I am going to drop the Eddi as I have a heat pump already heating the water so I don't think it makes sense. If the ground mounted system isn't too much of an overhead I'll increase the number of panels as I think we would benefit

Its not bad, but you should look into the ground mount as you could add so many more panels.

Use the roof and the ground if possible.

No body ever said I have too many panels but many have said I have too few.

Also get the inverter upgraded to a 6kw as its will allow you to add more panels in the future. Very little difference in the price of the 5kw to 6kw Inverter.

No harm in getting it priced up.

Good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

+1 on the comment about the panels. It's 200-250 extra a panel as a part of the initial install, but if you have to call out the installers again, they'll charge you again for a 2nd "call out charge" before you even put a panel on the roof, so cheaper to get it them done upfront. Also, as panels are changing/improving all the time, it can be tricky I'd imagine to get the same type of panels in a few years. I'd even ditch other components like an EDDI or battery over short changing yourself on panels. Panels are effectively the engine of the whole thing. Not enough panels and everything else suffers.

Not sure I get the logic/connection about ditching the EDDI cause you have a heat pump. Sure - in winter when your running the heat pump and solar is poor anyway you'll have hot water via the heat pump. But in summer (say Apr-sept) isn't your heat pump turned off? It's those months that the EDDI is "worthwhile" (subjectively of course)

Not that I'm saying you should get one, only making sure that your thinking is what you think it is. (For your benefit)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Midlakelands

Hi all

So just after asking the question on the ground mounted system I received a quote for a 6.08 kW ground mounted system with a 5kW givenergy inverter and 5.2kW battery. For €8293 after the grant. This sounds pretty good to me. However, after the wonderful news this morning hat we may have blackouts this winter my concern has now shifted to performance of the system when off grid!

The givenergy system seems to have a max output of 2.6kW in backup mode but the solis seems to go much higher (provided I have enough batteries I presume) I just need to run the lights and router probably but I just like the idea that I could have up to 6kW (I think! I'm not clear on what the solis is capable of)

For the eddi I always presumed that leaving the heatpump on during the summer for just the hot water was more efficient than using the immersion (esp when both are being fed by solar) never thought of actually turning it off but maybe I should??

During a power failure the inverter will only put out the maximum the battery can achieve.

Good quality battery's can go up to 3.5kw. I have the BYD battery and it worked very well in a recent power failure. It ran a kettle, no problem with the TV and router.

Please note not all at the same time.

My setup is very straightforward, just a single socket underneath the inverter.

Very few systems will run when the grid is down. The inverter likes to see voltage there from the grid. The logic there is that you house can't tell a deliberate blackout from a tree knocking down a wire. Last thing you want is for your house to be pumping out 220v onto your local community circuit when some sod is up a pole thinking that the grid is "off" and he's then dealing with a live wire when he thought that it was safe. So virtually all the inverters don't work when the grid is down (as ironic as that sounds)

Some of them do have a 3 pin socket on the battery though, so you can often plug in an extention cord and run a few things off it. Should be fine for running the telly (100w) and a few other things.

Your right, you could do that with the heat pump in summer, turning off the heating and just using it to heat the water in the tank. Thing is though with heatpumps is that while they are efficient usually giving you 2-3Kw for every 1kw you put in, you still have to put that 1Kw in if you follow. With solar in the summer you will (invariably) have excess. The EDDI will only use excess production. The heatpump , which usually is on 24x7 (including nighttime) won't.

Question then is what you do with the excess. You could export to the grid and if we get a decent FIT, then that may offset that 1Kw or whatever your putting into the heat pump. Alternatively an EDDI will use up some of your excess into hotwater. Again, do not take that as "go get one". It depends on your situation, but I just wanted to give you the thought to process yourself. It might not be as clear cut as you thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Looking to get some feedback on 3No. quotes.

First

4kW system: 12 panels

4.8kW Solis Inverter

5.8kW Batteries

Eddi Immersion Diverter

Wiring, Isolation switches, Install, BER

My cost after grant €8,900

Second

4.7kW system: 12 panels

5kW Solis Inverter

5.12kW Batteries

Eddi Immersion Diverter

My cost after grant €9,955

Third

4.8kW system: 12 panels

5kW Solis Inverter

2.4kW Batteries

iBoost Immersion Diverter

2No. Optimisers

My cost after grant €7,158

Post edited by okane1 on

They aren't terrible quotes (we've all seen terrible ones) but yeah, of the three I reckon the 3rd one is the best.....ring around though, you might save 500-1000 on it. With 5Kwp in panels I'd probably go for a bigger battery, but that's very much down to your usage.

That's my thinking. Go with the smaller battery, monitor my usage and if I'm exporting a lot to the grid upgrade the battery myself down the road. Doing it this way I reckon it be the cheaper method and less money spending up front

The optimizers are needed as the panels will be split over 2 roofs with different aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheCredibleHulk

Could someone please PM me with the name of the Enniskillen installer? Thanks!

Yeah good strategy. Good few people recommend that as a good way to get a larger storage for good money as you get the grant money, and then can flog on the battery and put that money towards a DIY battery install (if you've the skills?). However, if your very likely though to go the bigger battery down the road, and your not comfortable doing a DIY setup, I'd probably just go for a bigger battery from the get go. Cheaper to get the capacity upfront.

Just on your comment on the optimisers, unless you have shading on the panels (like a chimney).....if your panels are on two separate roofs and both have unobstructed views of the sun you should be fine without optimizers.

Good thinking Batman. I think you have answered you own question then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

As just posted there by b_d, different aspects do not drive the need for optimisers, most modern inverters and MPPT which means they have two SEPARATE inputs so each of your roof will perform interdependent of each other e.g. right now my NE facing panels doing 0.3kW and my SW facers doing 1.2kW

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

@bullit_dodger I used the EnnisKillen Boys...

Some pictures (bear in mind I've since sold the batteries and built DIY).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement