Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden/Harris Presidency Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

I think you'll find that you are wrong. They are CBP agents.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I am wrong, thanks. I thought I had read Texas BP, but I am wrong.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So the "cyber ninjas" have finished their "audit". After spending circa $6 million a d it turns out Trump has lost Arizona AGAIN 🤣🤣🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,148 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mild respect given for having the honesty to admit their (sham) recount surfaced an even greater victory for Biden. A mere 99 votes for sure, but still.

• Advertisement

"The man is sinking:

One year into a four year term, and you post results from one state. Satisfaction numbers for US presidents are always fluid and will rise and fall daily depending on the news that day.

Don't get to excited yet, it was a small poll of over just 800 people, if it's still as low in six months then he has something to worry about, for now it's a nothing burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Has there been any mention that the Hunter Biden Laptop story has been further corroborated by a Policito journalist in a new book *confirming* the emails from Hunter Biden's laptop about Joe Biden's business deals in China & Ukraine are genuine.

People complaining about pre-election censorship by Google in Russia cheered Big Tech's censoring this reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Who cares? So a 50-year old man had or had not some e-mails on a laptop that might or might not have suggested that he might or might not get involved in a business deal with some Chinese lads? Big deal!

It ceased to have any relevance once Roody and his gang of crooks took it on as a club to try and beat Joe Biden with after any vestige of evidentiary value was destroyed by their involvement. Some fella now writing a book to make money and this being 'reported' by Politico is just pathetic at this stage.

Move On! The 2020 election and all the shite trotted out during it is sooo over! Next elections in 2022 are where sensible folks are focusing.

Actually the emails relate directly to how Joe Biden used and abused his power as VP with the responsibility for Ukraine in his portfolio to benefit a company that was paying his son Hunter $50,000 per month even though he had no experience in this industry other than access to his father the vice president who had significant power over Ukraine. The emails that the NY post published revealed that Joe Biden was meeting with company executives and that Hunter was promising them that he would do favours for them.

The second tranche of emails revealed how Hunter Biden was pursuing business deals in China with very likely included a profit participation by Joe Biden including a quote "10 held by H for the big guy" raising serious questions about the presidential front runner three weeks in a run up to the election.

Third issue is the fact that Big Tech and corporate media censored a true story in a run up an election so that their preferred candidate would win. But lets move on nothing to see here just like the Russia Gate conspiracy theory that was peddled for four years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Mixed feelings on this. The media clearly went to bat for Biden and buried the story as they were worried about Trump winning, but nonetheless in the grand scheme of things compared to Trump and his all awful family, its relatively harmless. I'd be more annoyed with the media than Biden tbh.

I think most people unless in an MSNBC echo chamber 24/7 probably knew Hunter was dodgy anyhow so it is what it is.

Its a waste of time really now worrying about it .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Polls, for most of the last 50 years tend to see flat lining or declining support.

Polling science is reasonably robust, 800 people is enough.

It's not set in stone but they will be worried

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Texas has sent about 500DPS troopers down that way. It was to the point that they overloaded the local lodging and a request was put out by the county sheriff for board. There was an overwhelming response. https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2021/09/22/people-living-near-the-border-open-their-homes-to-law-enforcement-assisting-with-haitian-migrant-surge/%3foutputType=amp

You probably mixed the two up.

It has been observed that the use of reins which seems to have done no more harm than to pride seems to be causing more of a furore than the news of killing ten innocents in a drone strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think you know well the significance of the imagery of what was going on in that incident with the patrol agent on horseback.

Which drone strike are you talking about?

This one?

U.S. drone strike kills 30 pine nut farm workers in Afghanistan

Or this one?

A Wedding That Became a Funeral

US Drone Attack on Marriage Procession in Yemen

It's probably the one from Afghanistan recently you are referring to. America has long been culpable in the deaths of civilians in areas where it's military behaves like it is on a training exercise.

Do you think the people feeling sorry for the Afghans now will change their mind next time the military lobbyists get their way. We've also seen just how concerned people are about the Afghan civilians with the reaction in many states at the idea of refugees from Afghanistan being relocated there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm not entirely sure what the sitting president's popularity in a state he lost in the election anyway has to do with anything. Trying to bring in the fact its an important primary state when its a) a sitting president and b) not restricted to democrats seems particularly desperate.

Biden has had a rough month. He will have more of them no doubt, but there is nothing particularly to worry about for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If the democrats can get their ducks in a row and pass both the infrastructure bills which yes include traditional infrastructure but the other type then the rough month may pass because September 2021 isn’t the time to panic, but if it’s bad in September 2022 then yes panic stations are warranted.

IF the Dems can get their ducks in a row, even if they use the Senate filibuster just once, they must focus on Voting Rights above all else, before their voters are legislated out of their rights to vote in all those Red states that are queueing up to disenfranchise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Josephfromdowntheroad

Democrats need to get their house in order, manchin going rogue isn't helping things, his recent comments about waiting untill 2022 for infrastructure bills is not what this administration want to hear.

It will be a Bloodbath in the midterms if no infrastructure bill is passed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Yes, I am aware of why some people are complaining about the imagery. I also think it is utterly irrelevant. "Imagery" arguments are used when rational arguments like "should the officer have forced the migrant to return across the border instead of letting him remain on US soil" do not want to be addressed. I'm sure there would be similar imagery arguments had he used pepper sprays, bean-bag shotgun rounds, or a baton. What would have been a less-image-evoking method and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Biden owes that border Patrol officer a big apology for throwing him under the fking bus

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

What did Biden do that he owes him an apology?

he ran with the fake news about border guards whipping people , as that didnt happen he owes that particular officer a big apology.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

So do most politicians (both sides), reporters and news anchors in America! And I agree, I could see straight away that it was the horse reins not a whip but to just blame Biden for this is disingenuous.

Im not blaming him "for it" I can blame him for not apologising after the information is clear.

This level of being offended is all very snowflakey. Do you need a safe space?

Did Biden name the guy? Was it Biden who took the photo and published it?

I dont get your snowflake comment, It is possible to have an opinion about a President owning his words with a randomer trying to mind read me

An interesting day in the Senate Armed Services Committee yesterday. Following extensive questioning, a number of fake news stories, propagated by the GQP were lanced by Milley & Mc Kensie. 

Firstly, the whole Milley committing 'treason' BS was dealt with: Milley's phone calls to China were entirely within the scope of his role and had involved many others including Sec Def and Mark Meadows, Trump's own chief of staff. 

Secondly, Milley and Mc Kensie had advised Biden to keep the 2,500 troops (the level to which Trump had reduced them) in place in Afghanistan indefinitely. GQP propaganda had painted a picture of Biden ignoring them, i.e. not listening to them. In fact, the Generals clearly said that Biden had listened very carefully to their military advice, but in the end he had decided that the military view was untenable as a) if the US didn't leave, the Taliban would re-launch its attacks on US troops and then b) the military would be back in looking for more troops as 2,500 simply would be entirely insufficient to make any impact and would incur many more casualties from a resurgent Taliban & resultant civil war. The military would have needed a re-insertion of 2,000 then 5,000 then 10-15,000 more US troops at the very least, and another 5 or 10 or 20 years of war. This military scenario was built on Biden's own experience of how the military had hoodwinked Obama over the years when the military axis, coupled with Hillary Clinton, sought 30 and 40,000 troops to be put into Afghanistan in the 1st Obama term. Biden is also the 1st President in decades whose own child (Beau) went to serve on the front-line, leaving him far more reticent to put more young lives in danger to support a gargantuan military-industrial complex who were only interested in making fortunes on the backs of those dead and injured soldiers.

Clearly the Afghanistan withdrawal was messy and strategic mistakes were made over many years. The final withdrawal was rushed and clearly caught everyone napping, by a failed & corrupt Afghan Government and senior military collapsing like a wet sheet.

All that said, the recently stated strategy of reliance on the 'over the horizon capability' to deal with terrorism on Afghan soil that might impact the US and the West down the road MUST be seriously examined to ensure that war crimes such as that committed in the recent slaughter of the 10 civilians, including 7 children in Kabul is never repeated. Milley and the Military, as well as those in the CIA must be held to account for blatant criminality abroad in the same way as law enforcement are being held to account for their criminal behaviour in the U.S., such as in the case of Derek Chauvin and his mates in the horrible murder of George Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Milley in justifying his actions shocker. If you buy that line, I've got some beach front property in AZ to sell you. Apparently the debacle in Afghanistan was no-one's fault, so that's grand so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is anyone else starting to worry about the Republicans' nixing any attempt at raising the debt ceiling? Sure, it was raised back when they controlled Congress while Obama was in office after loads of brinkmanship, but they didn't have the Qlan to pander to back then - but then again, they were instead pandering to their predecessors in the Tea Party.

Advertisement