Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse found guilty of professional misconduct

Options
  • 24-09-2021 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

I felt sorry for the fella after reading this story. Thought I'd post it here to see what others think.

First incident, someone escapes from his care and exposes themselves to a child, ok, not ideal... but perhaps hard to avoid if someone is intent on getting out?

Second part, someone else enters a competition to win a holiday somewhat fraudulently and he as a manager is being punished for presumably not coming down on them in a disciplinary process. Ouch.

Terrible to have his name dragged though the mud like this publicly, maybe there is more not being reported but it seems harsh treatment.

Where is his manager in all of this ensuring he follows the disciplinary procedure on his subordinates and that controls are in place to stop people escaping out of care. I guess in this instance the buck stops with this poor fella.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

@Tails142: Where is his manager in all of this ensuring he follows the disciplinary procedure on his subordinates and that controls are in place to stop people escaping out of care.

From the article:

Mr McGillycuddy also claimed that when questioned by his superiors, Mr Lynch said that DD was supervised.

Seems that not only did he not follow the procedures that were in place, but when his bosses did try to figure out what happened, he lied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Maybe he was supervised though when this was happening, I mean how is a single nurse meant to stop or restrain a person from doing this? Seems like an unfortunate incident that got out of control.

There is one of these houses down the road from me, Brothers of Charity, had a couple of older fellas in it sort of living independently/under supervision.

You would see some odd goings on from time to time but short of locking them in a padded room I don't know what the alternative really is.

And is this a managerial issue or a nursing fitness to practice issue? Seems weird to handle it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

He got demoted to staff nurse which should have happened without going to the nursing board.

He was probably a good nurse but not a good manager but was he give training, support, and staff to do his job.

Also who promoted him? and did anything happen to them and what has happened to his immediate manager? how did they deal with the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, to me sounds like he wasn't able for, or didn't want to try, the managerial side of things. And I don't think the case of the man going missing is the issue, it's the fact that it wasn't correctly reported on afterwards by the nurse, so failed to follow correct procedure (code of practice), ie: failed to do his job, or could also be made to sound like he covered up something. And then got caught lying. And has previous incidents. But we don't want people like this in managerial positions, so he was rightly demoted. I'd imagine he's getting turfed out now, and most likely lose his nursing licence (or whatever it's called). There's plenty more out there who could do with the same, and I'm sure there are plenty out there worrying a bit now.

Modern work is a CYA exercise anyway. Work to rule.

Advertisement