Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AA rescue plus

Options
  • 27-09-2021 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

I've had rescue plus as my miles is above average and would do good bit of late night driving so always wanted the ability if I broke down late at night say in Dublin, that I could get back down the country home.

AA policy up for renewal. Its €189 although I haggled them down to €144 last year. Who else is offering the same as AA rescue plus. The breakdown with the insurance companies is not the same. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What are the advantages of it over the insurance companies' breakdown cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

What car do you drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

I guess it's more comprehensive, the aa are trained mechanics so if you break down more chance getting back on the road. I do lot of driving so it means I will get towed back home to my own garage. Also the 4c per litre off circle k helps offset the cost albeit it doesn't really feel like a saving each week. I guess it is quite preemptive but I broke down 3 or 4 yrs ago way down the country and would been very glad of it then. There doesn't seem to be much or any competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

It depends, often you may be paying for this option with own insurance, possibly 30 euro a year.

The insurance companies only have a few token vans providing cover, in most areas they will ring local towtruck who may have no interest in fixing anything. I think in general AA is crazy money to pay for generally nothing provided each year. You can ring AA with no cover, or ring other breakdown. If you generally don't run out of fuel, don't get punctures or can fix yourself, drive a relatively new car and service it, then the chances of saving money by being AA member is nil. Better to throw 50 euro a year into your emergency recovery fund, and get yourself a spare wheel and or compressor, and jump leads. A towtruck across the country might cost you 400 to 600 euro, if you rang and haggled, assuming it was that bad.

Yeah I normally remove the €30 breakdown off my normal insurance policy. But your point is valid. I assumed in say rural ireland its just a normal breakdown person that comes out rather than an actual mechanic who will fix. They quote 8 out of 10 ppl can be fixed but Id say thats cuz 8 out of 10 ppl breakdown with flat tyres lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I get breakdown with my skoda servicing and the service itself is less than €189

Not sure how good it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Here are top ten reasons according to AA

https://www.theaa.ie/aa/aa-membership/members-advice/top-ten-breakdown-causes.aspx

That's what i was going to say/ shill.

You get breakdown assist with any VW group service, a Skoda oil service is only €159, Audi is €199 and the rest in the middle.

It's provided by Allianz, Europe wide cover. They'll be with you within 90 mins, covers you for flat batterys or punctures, even if your car is at home. Will cover breakdows away from home, repair at the roadside or tow away to the nearest dealer.

Also covers you for 3 days courtesy vehicle if yours has to be towed away and offers really bizarre coverage like repatriation of you and your car if it breaks down abroad, will put you up in a hotel if your break down at a time that a courtesy car cannot be procured.

It's just like buying a years roadside assistance with a free oil change, 100 point inspection, wash and vaccum.

Didn't know about that tbh. It must be very poorly advertised. That only a recent thing cuz all my years when using main dealers and never once was told about it tbh. Id say its the normal get you at side of the road but not the long tow but still good if it's free

It's out around a decade. Very good service and i agree, not advertised enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I only found out about it after I’d got it.

Advertisement