Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-British Xenophobia and Hatred in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Cool story bro, have you got a blog I could read more of your stunning insights on?

There is definitely elements of nastiness between Ireland and England and it goes both ways on an interpersonal level. It’s usually mild slagging, but it can cross the line.

However, the biggest trap I would avoid falling into is letting the English populist right turn any criticism of them into “anglophobia”. A lot of people (including probably more than half of England at this stage) are very critical of their insane policies at the moment, which are steeped in right wing nationalism and jingoism and have gone out of their way to destabilise Northern Ireland.

Criticism of that is absolutely not anglophobia and I think there’s definitely a spin effort now to go into “oh poor little old us. What have we ever done. I know we may have said horrible things, but now we are being upset by criticism.”

They are doing the same with accusing the EU of being mean or aggressive to them, despite the fact that they ranted and raved, accused it of all sorts of crazy stuff, made disgusting comparisons to the third reich and so on and made regular threats to destroy it.

However, it’s the EU that’s being a nasty apparently 😂

There’s also a regular line trotted out that they’ve been bullied by Ireland - basically, by standing our ground and daring to exist, we have gotten in the way of a smooth Brexit and thus we aggressively bullied them?!

Spin, deflect, spin and claim to be the innocent victim. That’s nothing new.

we've already had "It doesn't exist", "It's all them" and "we're the real victims here" and we are barely on to the second page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭hawley

They don't have a populist right wing government, so I don't know where you're getting this from. If they allow the EU to dictate where the customs border in NI is, they're going to lose Northern Ireland in the long term. They've had a lot of minorities at high levels in their governance recently, Dominic Raab, Priti Patel, Rishi Sunak, Sajid Javid; so the idea that their government is racist is ridiculous.

They can be populist and right wing without being racist.

Priti was threatening Ireland with starvation a while back. If I recall correctly.

Hmm, I didn’t say racist. I said populist and right wing. They’re not the same thing. Please don’t put words in my mouth.

Also this is probably the most populist and right wing government the U.K. has had in modern history.

They got into power using triggers like xenophobia and it was blatant.

You’re talking about a government that had “go home vans” and use extremely jingoistic messaging at all times. It’s also continuously engaged in divisive populism around class division and so on.

It’s a government quite literally led by a populist tabloid journalist ffs.

Is Patel not right wing? She openly supported the reintroduction of the death penalty (during a TV debate a few years ago) and is extremely anti-immigration.

If you want to pretend it’s not populist and right wing, I really don’t know what the point in even having this discussion is. You might as well be saying water isn’t wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

If it does exist its all online. In real life there is unhealthy obsession with the english. From buying their newspapers to watching their tv to planeloads of idiots flying over there every weekend. Its almost like they want to be english. Oh wait............

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Of course we can sneer at their politicians ffs. They inflicted Brexit on their people and lied their whole way through both the voting for it and the negotiations with Europe and continue to lie and trying to renegotiate. That is not racism last time I looked.

If fact if you look at the commenters on that rag the daily mail you'll see a lot more racism from English commenters.

Are there racist Irish people? For sure..all ethnicities have racists. But it doesn't mean we're all racist.

It seems to be the normal thing now if you don't like someone's opinion to scream racist at them instead of discussing it like adults.

What populist policies have they enacted(apart from Brexit)?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Windowsnut

In reality, the OP statement is quite the contrary. From the comments section in the Daily Mail and Express particularly on Brexit articles involving Irish politicians, the anti-Irish racism and hatred of Ireland is very much alive, well and deep routed in the UK.

The unmoderated slurs and name calling against Irish politicians and Irish people is quite simply unchecked hate speech at times and goes completely unchecked by the UK media outlets and regulators.

Yep. I was fairly shocked to see that because in my time there I had none of it. But we are talking about online.

Also the hatred for other parts of the EU and the Germans and french in particular.

There was a thread started on Boards today where Boris Johnson was called a P**ck in the very first post. Is that ok?

A vast array of public service and welfare cuts, fanned along by a campaign against notional scroungers, which has caused massive dependence on food banks and caused genuinely grinding poverty.

Unprecedentedly aggressive immigration policies, which included deporting long term residents from the former British empire who had rights to live there.

Ramming though policies that are causing supply chain chaos and huge damage to the economy, and denying realty because they clash with a populist dogma. That is absolutely shocking. It’s not how normal Tory governments would have behaved either. It’s government by the tabloids.

That's perfectly ok. He is called a prick in England as well?

Why this obsession with defending a politician in another country. Someone who is, by necessity, antagonistic to Ireland's desires in Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

I cant recall any Irish people I know hating the British.

I'll be posting inline commentary that doesn't upset the OP for the rest of this thread.

Varadkar should don his red pointy hat, grab his fishing road and jump back onto his toadstool with all the other leprechauns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

How many virtue points did you receive for this post?

Macron's poodle. ( this about Vradkar).

Getting the hits in for the Paddies and the French.

Sure you can’t have a rational discussion on these threads anymore. It’s just attack, attack, attack and dogmatic posters and when they don’t get agreement, it’s straw men and ad hominem tactics.

Boards seems to be gone the way of Twitter these days. I can see myself abandoning the platform tbh. It’s really gone to hell in a hand basket and I’ve better things to be doing than raising my blood pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Johnson is a prick. I'm pretty sure he's been called worse by his own people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Not to mention floating nonsense policies like bringing back imperial weights and measures, indoctrinating school kids to sing a "patriotic" song every morning, and forcing various buildings to fly union jacks above them at all times. All of which are carefully designed to enflame culture wars and distract from the economic chaos their policies are causing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Yes. He is a prize prick. The pricks prick. Fathered how many kids by how many women, broke how many promises to the British people? Doesn't want Scottish first minister involved in meetings in Scotland. Prick is quite mild abuse for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

There is certainly an air of anti-Britishness that is common throughout Irish society. I guess until recently we didn't do far-right politics, but that void was filled with the norm that it was OK to hate the English. Not just slag them off, but proper hatred.

It is a sign of a weak immature society that we harp on and on and on about events more than 100 years ago. I guess some people need to fill a void.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

There has always been the anti-English crap from Celtic supporter types, but since Brexit there has been a sneering condescension from our media too. By media I mean broadsheet, non-tabloid, respected media.

We have constant negativity towards Britain, but uncritical acceptance of ANYTHING the EU does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Perfidious Albion sums it in a nice package tbh. One of their MPs even boasted and threatened to push for perfidious albion on speed over brexit negotiations, ever since 2016 their entire foreign policy startegy has been to act in bad faith at every oppurtunity. This blithe attitude and arrogance coupled with the majority of them being completely clueless of our shared history while egging on and supporting a politician who threatens to starve us.... yeah theres absolutely no reasons for us to have a negative view of their government, politicians and ruling class.

Advertisement