Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parkrun, lap two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Great to be back we had 81 this morning in lees road and 10 volunteers feels like normality has returned at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Butterbeans

It seems to get longer with each lap. Kilkenny is a great parkrun but it's tough, that hill 3 times is killer! My dad and sister ran it this morning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

All good around Cork this morning - https://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2021/09/cautious-return-to-5k-parkruns-in-cork.html

I was going to add the new (kind of) parkrun at Mallow Castle to the gps tracks thread but can't see how to add a link with this new version of boards. Anyway here's a pic of the start/finish area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Second week of the Den Haag park run took place this morning around Zuiderpark for those who like coffee shops & sexy windows!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

I ran Russborough yesterday, it was so amazing to be back. The first time I ran amongst other people in well over a year. Met Wubble Wubble there, enjoyed that.

Was surprised at the numbers. It got 99, and although it is double their average I had expected many more. It being one of the closest to Dublin, and Naas not on.

Anyway, welcome back everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭Speak Now

At Kilkenny there are 164 in the official results but easily well over 200 there. Those without barcodes were advised not to enter the funnel at the finish. Very well organised I must say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That's not normal parkrun policy, they want the numbers of parkrunners recorded even if they don't have barcodes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Seems very odd alright. Getting a position token was always a good way to know roughly what time you had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Went to the Porch Fields parkrun in Trim in the end. My guess was just over 200 entered. 193 finished according to the results but there were a few happy with 1 lap done and skipped off.

Planned for a nice slow 2 laps with the family pushing the buggy. Our two boys were two of the youngest there and I think 5 k is a bit much for them to run so was planning on walking a bit. We stood towards the back for the start. And that's how we went for the first half Km chatting away as we jogged. The youngest then got a stitch so I waited back with him as we jogged super slow and finally walked a bit. He was determined to finish it though and after the first lap he was running properly again finishing much quicker than he had started. The eldest fella went ahead with mammy. He got a bit carried away trying to catch people. After pestering her a bit she told him he could run 2 or 3 people ahead of her but that was it, he was gone after the first lap and then too far to call back. She was straining to watch the little fella weaving in and out of all the giants but managed to keep sight of him on and off over the last lap. He finished in around 29 minutes and was waiting at the finish line when I came in 8 minutes later. As we headed off his fresh face soon turned pale before he threw up his breakfast. We had told him it wasn't a race and to take it easy. Lesson learned? Probably not. He was still delighted with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭donaghs

All the Dublin parkruns seems to be starting on the 25th? Its kind of ridiculous that its taking so long to get parkrun going again. Such a safe healthy outdoors activity. When you can have pints in a pub and watch a game in croke park on the same day.

What are the nearest parkruns to Dublin which are open? Trim, Navan, Naas, Russborough.

• Advertisement

Russborough is off next Saturday, some other group have use of the grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Most look like they're starting back on the 25th in Dublin but some haven't made a decision yet and of course, they'll all need to volunteers to start back. After 19 months with no parkrun, people may have found new interests to do on a Saturday morning so time will tell..

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

With the change in government guidelines we are delighted to announce that all 5k parkrun events can reopen across Ireland from Saturday 25 September.

Some good news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Did Naas on Saturday. Flat, fast, no sharp corners or pinch points. Great place to run a fast time, if you're in shape. Fastest time for me since my parkrun PB in June '19 at Darndale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sept 25th, start your engines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Great to be back. Spent the whole run trying to slow my pace a bit. The crowd really drags you along with them compared to running alone

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I did St Anne's this morning, was ran very well even hand in hand with the bigger market which I was thinking could be an issue.

Similar in Corkagh, there's a new market set up at the Start/Finish area. I had the same thoughts, but it worked out really well. All the stall holders had their cars and vans out of there by 9.

So great to be back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Post pandemic PB for me today, and not a huge distance off my course PB from that event from 6 years ago. Giving me visions of being able to get close to that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

Great to be back, tymons new route is a bit up and down with the double buggy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Another new route? How many routes have they had now? At least 4 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah think there's works on in the park.

I was counting, think it was my 5th routing up there? But could be 4..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Delighted to do my 2nd parkrun, 18 months after the first!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Probably 5 given that the previous route has been run both forwards and backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Finally got to do my 100rd parkrun in Donabate, 18 months after doing my 99th. Could have done it before it all kicked off, but I wanted to do it with herself and her work schedule meant a delay. A running buddy holding my Laura Lynn challenge t-shirt, was doing his 300th.

Great to see everyone back, loads of old faces and quite a few new ones, who hopefully will keep it up. Will be hitting the parkrun tourism road again and try to visit a some more runs around the country. Big thank you to a friend for getting us the t-shirts, we weren't the only milestoners there, so hopefully our balloons and t-shirts added to the occasion.

Oh and don't forget to volunteer every now and again 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Does anyone know if the virtual volunteer app doesn't work with certain phones? I was trying to use it Saturday but the camera is very zoomed in when I go into the app and won't read the barcodes.. I tried zooming out obviously and checked the settings but can't see anything obvious. Its a Huawei phone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

No idea, tbh. I was timekeeping at the weekend. Did you scan your own barcode in first, to turn it into 'virtual volunteer' mode? Even on flight mode it does eat away at the battery. I was testing it then yesterday as a scanner with my own wristband at an awkward angle, seems to be a knack to it.

Post edited by The Black Oil on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

It was too zoomed in to even scan my own. And then holding it far away it just wouldn't focus. Camera works perfectly outside of the app. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Rossi7

I've only ran Tymon 6 times, on 4 different routes. Mile 2 might stop folk coming back to it until the works are finished 😀 fair paly to RayCun and the rest of the volunteers. Very well run given the new course and challenges #snotrockets

• Advertisement

There is a confirmed problem with the app and Huawei phones which results in the camera going nuts.

parkrun HQ know about it, but if you have the motivation it wouldn't do any harm to email them so they can see how many people are having issues with it.

Advertisement