Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven and Hob wiring options

Options
  • 15-09-2021 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Greetings!

I know enough to know I don't know enough, hence my question.

My son's new second hand house has a cooker fed by a 6sq cable. He's looking at getting a cooker with a induction hob. From my reading of the installation manual for proposed new cooker, it seems the cooker has intelligence to not have everything drawing maximum current at the same time. If he was to go for a separate oven and hob setup, would it be usual to use the same cooker switch, and daisy chain (or 2 cables back to the switch) the two pieces of equipment off the existing switch, or would one usually run a separate (6sq) cable back to the board? I completely understand the 'how long is a piece of string' nature of the question, but I'm just talking generalities here, given that this suggested 'intelligence' is unlikely to work across separate devices.

If nothing else, it'll generate interesting discussion. Thanks everyone.

BTW, I wouldn't dream of touching it, so no concerns there (although I reckon given the right answers, I'd have no bother).

Comments

Depends on the load. My induction job draws 7.6kW at peak so it is on a dedicated circuit.

They should get an electrician involved. If it’s not like-for-like replacement it’s risky. Even making a junction at that kind of load is risky from a fire safety point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Sorry folks, but to be clear, the thrust of the question is really about running an oven and induction hob off the one 6sq feed from the board. And again, I'm asking for real life experience of properly experienced and qualified people (like you). I suspect just adding the two rating plates together is easy but wrong or nearly wrong, if you get me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The starting point would be looking at what is written on the rating plates. What do they say?

This can often be a judgement call but as induction hobs tend to have high ratings you may be in trouble here.

Yeah, get that ok. The cooker as a whole unit is the first choice. I just happened to mention that bending down to the bottom oven gets to be a pain after a while and they're really into their baking. So a hob and separate oven are a pipe dream, just getting some thoughts together in my head for making sure they go the right route. By the sounds of it, trying to run both off the 6sq will be problematic (there's no rating plates to look at yet, but a sneaky visit to powercity might solve that 😈). This means that I'll have to warn them that a degree of rewiring will be necessary. Its not about cost (primarily) but more about the disruption and subsequent redecoration that might ensue.

BTW, my second post was written as an addendum to my first and when I wrote it, no answers had been posted, so Convolved's post looks like I answered it, whereas I hadn't seen it till now. So, sorry Convolved if it looks like I was dismissing your answer.

Thanks to you both. As usual, come here and get great help. When my daughter got her house a few years ago, with great help on here, I was able to make sensible suggestions as to what she should consider when getting in an electrician. Which ultimately became a complete rewire and moving of the meter. Aahh, they love their Dad and his unsolicited help 😂.

What the hell is happening here? my posts are all over the place and duplicated....

• Advertisement

refresh the page or log out & in again. They don't appear to be duplicated to me.

hahaha, answered BOTH my questions! Yep, that fixed it. Never had to do that in the old version. Thanks, for the second time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I have an oven and induction hob off the one 32A cooker circuit. It has never given any problems. Diversity allows for up to 15kW of cooking loads on a 32A circuit without issue as a general rule.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Unlike other countries there is no guidance for this in the Irish rules.

My suggestion would be to employ the services of a good REC and follow their advice.

Sometimes it is easy to install another circuit, if so I would definitely do this.

Advertisement