Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dynamic speed limits are set to be introduced on the M50!

• 23-09-2021 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Apologies if a thread already exists, I find the thread search function very user-unfriendly.

New dynamic speed limits are set to be introduced on the M50 which can be raised or lowered as operators see fit, ie, during accidents, heavy traffic or any other incidents. This is wonderful news and will hopefully actually decrease overall journey times and reduce the accordion effect. Thankfully I rarely have to use the M50 and I never use it for commuting.

One worry I have is that a person might be a diligent observer of speed limits and the limit changes just as the person passes the sign and the Gardaí catch those people out between the sign that just changed and the next visible sign.

Hopefully these will be rigidly enforced with average speed cameras, unless everyone else is on board, the new concept will be redundant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Too many people don't know or don't follow motorway rules anyway so I don't see this being any different.

Weren't these proposed to be introduced about 5 years ago too?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

I think they are being implemented now though. They need to be coupled with average speed cameras though, otherwise it's useless.

The M50 isn't that long a stretch, 45 km if memory serves. If people rigidly stuck to 60 km/h during rush hours, then you would have a GUARANTEED 45 minute journey from where it begins at the end of the port tunnel to Bray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

No one seems to follow these on UK motorways, says there’s a lane closure and they’ve dropped the limit to 50, people will tail gate you and flash you if you stick to the limit. Even when there’s signs for cameras. People seem to think it’s their god given right to go at 70/120 on the motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭handpref

Sums it up really- add in no Garda enforcement and your back to square one- roads policing here isn’t taken seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are new digital signs being erected between the ballmun and blanchardstown exits, i presume they're the first of these being installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭zg3409

These signs have been testing recently. From what I read elsewhere they will be introduced on the blancharstown section first and more areas later.

Initially there will be no law against breaking the suggested speed but later like January 2022, it will be an offence to break the speed.

There does not seem to be any plan to install average speed cameras. In the last 1 year mobile speed camera vans are regularly near the toll bridge and dundrum. Presumably these will continue and enforce the variable limit

As suggested lots of people will ignore the speeds, and enforcement will be rare. Hopefully they will show a big X when s lane is blocked to encourage people to not use it and move over to unblocked lanes before they reach the crash. The intention is to speed up average trip times at peak rush hours and during accidents, by preventing stop, go, but I really think average speed cameras will be needed to make this happen. At the moment the old signs just say crash ahead, but don't tell you which lane to use, which is a bit pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That apparently is the busiest stretch of the M50.

Advertisement