Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 officially saw a record number of $1 billion weather and climate disasters.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,264 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There are ocean temperatures in the Arctic circle today of more than 10c and that’s with the latent heat of ice sucking up a lot of heat energy

in 50 years time we realistically could see SSTs in Northern Europe close to 27c in summertime

definitely not guaranteed but also far from impossible

I mean this year, there was a Siberian town that recorded 38c max temperature,

your scoffing at these projections will not age well. Although I can see you coming on here in 49 years time arguing that the data is unreliable and it only really got up 26.95c ssts….

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Where exactly is Northern Europe? Where could we see these SSTs? You know the Artcic circle starts at northern Iceland, so there across to Norway easily makes it above 10 degrees with the North Atlantic Drift. Nothing of note there.

Siberia is a massive landmass which stretches well south of the Arctic circle, so mentioning the name in relation to heat is not that spectacular. Ojmjakon, the coldest village on Earth, gets up to 29 or more every July, sometimes topping 30.

The ACE index, that you choose to measure if cyclones are getting stronger , has been showing more and more of an upward trend as time passes

you’re running out of doubt to emphasize.

it’s much easier to be on the winning side of a ‘debate’ when pretty much all of the data supports my argument

you’re left clinging to decades old media articles that were sub par and didn’t stand the test of time. I don’t base my opinion on the worst evidence, I support the best evidence. All of the best available research supports my position. It’s not a coincidence, it’s because I base my position on the best available evidence. What do you base your position on???

iceland has already had SSTs exceeding 20c. You piled on to scoff at the idea of Northern Europe having a SST of above 27c.

Not sure who that's aimed at but I'll bite. We've been through tropical cyclones a few weeks ago and it has been shown that better technology and sampling methods have generated false increasing trends.

• Advertisement

Where will get 27 "in the next 30-50 years", as alleged by that Dutch scientist?

Top 20 daily maxima at Verkhoyansk, Siberia, 1895-2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

you’re left clinging to decades old media articles that were sub par and didn’t stand the test of time.

'Cause the new media articles are par for the course and of course now more scientific in your opinion as long as they don't have a red-top (i.e. echo your political POV).

I notice how you didn't remark anything much about what euronews.green have to say. Hurricanes in Europe and northern waters reaching 27c - exactly the type of hype and click you'd expect from your scorned upon Daily Mirror.

You may wax lyrical about how fossil fuel companies are funding doubt about climate change - they're idiots for wasting money like that when you have the likes of Guardian, Euronews.green and a large cabal of left leaning papers doing as much credibility damage as any red-top and oil company PR campaign.

With regards to your comment, you could easily be back on here in 2050 writing "you’re left clinging to decades old media articles that were sub par and didn’t stand the test of time" when that euronews.green article gets brought back up to show how the predictions were wrong - yet again. I certainly hope we both have good enough health to carry us through to see that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Funny how outlandish claims are accepted when 'reported' in the Guardian, but tut tutted at when posted in the Mirror.

Watched this interesting vid last night:

Bit by bit, the suggestion that global warming will result in colder winters is being sold.

Really makes you wonder what caused colder winters in the past, because this is never addressed.

What I found most interesting about this video was the suggestion that it isn't so much SSW events that can lead to cold winters, but stratospheric elongation, which seems to be a new 'finding'.

New Moon

• Advertisement

In other words, the ACE index was your preferred method of downplaying climate change, but as soon as the trend doesn't fit your narrative anymore, you decide that it's not a reliable index anymore

Note that I never fully accepted ACE because it only looks at limited characteristics of cyclones and understates the impact of larger storms

"Marine heatwaves have already become more long-lasting, frequent, intense and extensive than in the past,” says lead study author Thomas Frölicher, a climatologist at the University of Bern in Switzerland. He adds that these changes are already well outside what could be expected on the basis of natural swings in Earth’s climate: the study’s analysis determined that 87% of heatwaves in the ocean are the result of human-induced global warming."

We don't know, but there are a huge increase in the number of marine heatwaves that have been recorded and this is being attributed to Climate change

Who'd have thought that allowing the equivalent energy of 5 Hiroshima bombs a second to accumulate in the atmosphere and oceans for decades would lead to consequences?

From that: Headline:

Fevers are plaguing the oceans — and climate change is making them worse

Fairly clear statement of fact. However, read on...

But because atmospheric blocking relies on so many factors, it’s a complex phenomenon to recreate in a numerical model. “It depends on so many aspects of the climate system that it’s really hard to get it right,” Rodrigues says.

Teasing apart the climatic conditions that lead to a marine heatwave is a painstaking process, says Robert Schlegel, a data scientist at Sorbonne University’s Villefranche Sea Institute in France. Schlegel is among the researchers turning to statistical and machine-learning methods to try to understand the main causes of the ocean’s heatwaves.

These deeper events pose a unique challenge to climate scientists. Almost all of the current understanding of marine heatwaves is restricted to what happens in the surface ocean, where researchers can use satellite instruments to map the temperature and track events in near-real time. But beneath the surface is a world of complex currents. “We can see and define the heatwave on the surface,” says Sofia Darmaraki, a physical oceanographer at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Canada. “But the surface is just the tip of the iceberg of the marine heatwave.”

There are relatively few observational networks tracking conditions beneath the surface. Floats and buoys provide data in some regions, but they are completely missing in others. Understanding how subsurface heat anomalies develop, persist and evolve is one of the biggest open questions in marine-heatwave research. And because the vast majority of the ocean’s inhabitants reside below the surface, this is a critical frontier for scientists to explore, Scannell says. “We haven’t really fully understood how the subsurface marine heatwaves impact the ecosystems.

The mirror is actually a left wing tabloid and would be similar politically to the likes of the Guardian, my issue is with tabloids is that their stories are often lazy paraphrases and summaries of complex stories

I don't usually cite any newspapers when discussing science. I cite high quality scientific journals the vast majority of the time, and only quote newspapers for current events or political stories

Its your side who constantly bring up the media reporting as if bad reporting means the science is not valid.

And yes, the fossil fuel companies have spent billions on misinformation campaigns. According to this study in America alone, almost a billion dollars a year was being funnelled into proxy groups aimed at lobbying and influencing the public discourse surrounding climate change

https://www.drexel.edu/~/media/Files/now/pdfs/Institutionalizing%20Delay%20-%20Climatic%20Change.ashx

Nowhere in this video or in the paper it's based on, does any scientist say that this kind of distortion of the polar vortex never happened before, the findings are that it takes specific conditions for this to occur, and a weakened jet stream caused by arctic amplification allows these conditions to occur more commonly than they would if a weakened jet stream was a more rare event.

Wow, you really really missed the point of that article. It wasn't that science is hard and there's always more to learn, it was that we have observed that there are more than double the number of marine heatwaves compared with historical records, and that our models predict that if we allow warming to increase, then these events could become more than 40 times more frequent. Forecasting where and when they will occur is not possible yet, but they're working on improving that

'Arctic amplification' must have been a more common occurrence in the past, both in pre industrial and post industrial times, given that Europe and I'm sure N. America, experienced far more brutal winters, and on a more frequent basis, than in the present day.

But an interesting article:

"But the cooling has been far from ubiquitous and the Arctic-midlatitude link has been difficult to detect in simulations by global computer models. Instead, the models point more strongly toward the gradual, longer-term trend of milder midlatitude winters that one would expect in a human-warmed climate. (A separate line of research is addressing extremes during the summer, such as the unprecedented heat wave that struck the Pacific Northwest in June; see below.)"

Arctic climate change may not be making winter jet stream weird after all - USA24 - Global Climate Change News Portal

I'm pretty sure I posted that study they refer too, or at least one similar, on here a while back, which you ignored.

New Moon

Only 40 years of very limited observations. No idea if similar patterns occurred in the early 20th century warming.

No mention of natural oscillations, such as the positive PDO.

Mean winter CET temps from the UK Met Office, centered on the 20th century average (4.172c)

A hell of a lot of 'Arctic amplification' going on there in yester years.

Data from here:

New Moon

• Advertisement

Clown world.

Ireland starts importing peat following wind-up of domestic production (irishtimes.com)

"According to Growing Media Ireland (GMI), the industry body, Saturday’s large shipment of peat completed a 3,000km journey to reach its destination, compared with an average distance of about 10km when sourced from a Westmeath bog".

“This is the first time this country has had to import horticultural peat with many scheduled shipments from the Baltic states and other EU countries expected over the coming weeks and months to supply Ireland’s horticultural sector,” GMI said.

The material is used in the production of foodstuffs, notably mushrooms, soft fruits and vegetables. Prices are now expected to increase as a result of growers’ reliance on imported material and be “inevitably passed on to consumers”, the body said".

New Moon

Clown world indeed. We've also been warned about the potential for blackouts this winter as our ever increasing reliance on unreliable wind power takes hold. Anyone wholly dependant on electricity for heating will be up the swanny if we get a blocking high this winter bringing bitterly cold days and nights and the turbines won't turn.

Anyone lucky enough to afford the carbon taxed to oblivion bag of coal will survive - that is if Minister Eamon Ryan is awake to tax it again on October 12th.

So the very small risk that there might be temporary electricity blackouts in Ireland this winter gets you all bothered, but the very real threat of permanent climate change consequences is just scaremongering

Do you know what causes the most electricity blackouts? It’s storms knocking out our infrastructure. Climate change will make damaging storms more frequent and more powerful, and the worse we let it get, the worse those impacts will be.

If Arctic Amplification is weakening the jetstream, how can we get stronger and more frequent storms?

When storms knock down the infrastructure there is still power in them there wires.

When the turbines won't turn, there's nothing.

You are ignoring the point completely.

And storms are not getting stronger and more frequent over Ireland as you claim. This is a complete inversion of observable and statistical fact.

New Moon

On a less series point, I recall that blackouts were a regular occurrence during actual winter storms back in the 90s. Added to the drama and you got to see those big power flashes, lightning etc with more clarity.

New Moon

This is a false dichotomy. Strength of storms does not depend on the strength of the jet stream.

The strength or weakness of the jet stream is not the primary factor in how powerful a storm is, but the position of the jet stream in relation to other air masses can cause storms to form or strengthen

Also, I didn't say we would get more frequent storms, I said stronger storms would be more frequent. The scientific evidence is getting stronger every day that climate change will make storms more intense, rather than more frequent. And the intensity of the storm is more than just the max wind speed, or lowest pressure, it's also the size of the wind field, the amount of rain it brings and the length of time it spends over populated areas.

So storms are even more dangerous than brownouts then. More risk of electrocution

What do you think is the likelyhood of power outages this winter. Genuine question?

And, if there are no supply driven power outages this winter, will you admit that wind turbines are perfectly adequate and that you've been completely wrong to be worried about the security of our power supply?

• Advertisement

I think you're waffling a bit there. The strength of extratropical storms is primarily influenced by forcing from the jet stream, which itself is caused by the difference in airmasses (i.e. the relative position of airmasses).

It follows that it is wrong to say that stronger storms will become more frequent if the jet stream becomes weaker. What evidence do you have that storms are spending more time over populated areas, have larger windfields, etc.? I think you're mixing up you ideas on tropical (barotropic) storms and extratropical (baroclinic) storms.

Advertisement