Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buy unseen?

Options
  • 23-08-2021 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

Interested in buying a 2019 car from a franchise dealer. Problem is, I'm in the far northwest and the car in the far southeast.

Would it be a bad idea to buy unseen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Done it before, worked out perfect with no surprises. My advise would be to ask them to either photograph/video the areas of the car that would be most concerning to you on purchase, for example detail covered of kerbed alloys or well worn drivers seat or steering wheel. Ask seller to show any scrapes or damage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

You could ask an independent Engineer to view it for you. I was interested in a private sale, found somebody through https://www.iaea-online.org/find-an-engineer/

He charged €180 for a full review, which would have given me peace of mind. (car was sold before he went to view it)

Cheers,

Pa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

If you haven't test driven the model of car in question then there is a risk you might not like the car when it comes.

A real dose imo.

I've known a few people do it though and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Would you need to be present in the showroom in order to sign the logbook or is that even necessary? If it were me I would need to view and drive the car before parting with my cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Well, wasn't I the fool.

Car got first service at 45k km.

Engine fault warning light on second time I started it up.

Tyres four different makes.

What next.

Jesus.

• Advertisement
    M

Sorry to hear that but did you look for a video/pics to see details on what tyres were on it, if they were going to concern you they should have been checked pre sale, I had mentioned above seeking a video of the alloys which would have shown the tyres.

How did you miss the service history, surely you would have wanted to check this pre sale? Are you sure it hasn't been serviced and not recorded in the book, a lot now is done digitally and record is at dealers along with printouts of the jobs done. What exactly did you check pre purchase if anything?

Engine warning light could be literally anything, hopefully it's only something small, what warranty is with the car? 4 Premium tyres would not be the end of the world if you had to buy them if everything else was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I would not buy a car unseen in Ireland.... i have in the UK....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭User1998

They sent me a video but couldn't see any detail close up of tyres. I asked and they said they would put new ones on if needed. Can't understand how four different makes got fitted. Bound to affect braking.

I sent numerous emails to numerous dealers before I decided on that car, including asking about service history. Looking back down the conversation I now see I didn't ask that company that particular question. Main worry here is any effect on warranty.

I checked the oil level and it is above Max. Bringing car into local Peugeot dealer in the morning.

I'm considering that but it is the nuclear option. Have insurance changed over and there is the finance issue.

• Advertisement
    M

Very poor dealer by the sounds of it, do you know if the car was part of a used car scheme for that particular brand wherebye additional checks and warranty are supposed to be offered rather than a 3 month engine and gearbox type warranty. Mixing tyres could be a sign of the dealer putting part warn tyres on the car (you should see what manuafacturing dates are on them, this will be on the sidewall).

For example Peugeot appear to have a used car scheme for their brand..

Used vehicles offered by your local Peugeot dealer undergo rigorous individual inspections before they are released for sale, and come with a warranty, offering you more peace of mind.

https://www.peugeot.ie/range/used-cars.html

I'd threaten the nuclear option and see how it goes, think out first exactly what you want to be fixed at a minimum if they can resolve it. The finance also has a cooling off period of 10 days once you didn't sign the waiver on the agreement.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/loans_and_credit/hire_purchase.html

It was a main dealer but not Peugeot.

I have it booked in to my local Peugeot dealer in the morning so I'll see how things go.

It was an electronic form. I looked back at it and the wavier is ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭sligopaul

Any update, where did you purchase and what Marquee was the selling garage

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a major additional risk. Why bother?

Still over-and-back, over-and-back. More issues have arisen and it's wearying. Only difference between these guys and Del Boy is they do it from behind a service desk and with an official stamp.

Peugeot are not interested in helping with this or other issues/queries I had. Suppose they've already got their money.

What issues have arisen? You may have to bring it back down to the dealer who sold you the car - you can provide the make and model and we may be able to help on potential issues.

I wouldn't worry too much about the tyres, there's no way that a car only received a service 45k there'd be no oil left in the car if that was the case it may just be missing a record?

All in all I'd take it to a trusted local mechanic if your keeping the car and see if you can get it sorted

Traction control and wheel spins all over the place due to the cheap tyres. In Peugeot garage with fault warnings twice in first week, once because seller overfilled oil when servicing. Brakes have only 4k miles left. No service or no service history possibly leading to voiding of warranty.

And all for the low low price of €32,000.

Cooling off period is untill Tuesday.

Do you have a screenshot or any emails showing that there would be a service history with the vehicle? If I was you I'd seriously consider taking a day off work and driving the car back down to where you bought it from and have a discussion with them about possibly returning the car due to these issues.

You can also notify the finance company that there is issues with the vehicle and they want to return it.

Alternatively if you want to keep the car you may be able to negiotate with them about getting the work done at a main peugeot dealer at their expense.

You won't get much luck with them by email or telephone as they can delay you and you'll run out of time with the cooling off period

Advertisement