Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Hi everyone, first post on here in a while but I've been lurking all year, this thread is honestly akin to a warm fire on a cold day!

I cannot believe how fast this year has gone, I've professional exams on the horizon which will be over in 4 weeks time, so that'll fly by and then it'll basically be Hallowe'en! I've decided to really throw myself into Christmas this year once the exams are out of the way so reading all of your posts has me exceptionally excited!

Christmas last year was a rough occasion to say the least due to Covid so I'm excited for a degree of 'normality' (a very subjective concept anyway!) this year, already planning out my Christmas menu.

Looking forward to checking back here in 4 weeks time when all exams are behind me and I'm on the one track road to Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Best of luck with the exams.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Best of luck in the exams @dobby896!! Looking forward to hearing what's on the Christmas menu 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

It been crazy buys with work, long hours, little to no weekends. I'm a bit of a zombie. We were invited out to brunch on Friday and when I showed up it was a 100 days to Christmas brunch!! Trees, mulled wine at the entrance, full Christmas food items, music bopping, pretty surreal. I knew I needed some down time if I hadn't copped that it was Christmas themed from the group chat, I just tagged along with the OH. So if I wasn't in to it already I a fully committed now and in Christmas mode.

I had a look at that Lego house and its lovely, when can you actually buy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Was in Dunne's earlier and they had a small Christmas section with cushions and ornaments etc. I ended up getting some of the snowflake tea candle holders that someone posted on here a while back. They also had a small Christmas section of stuff in homesavers too.

It has begun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shoes43

Been reading this thread for years and love it - just started to make my christmas cake this mornng, fruit steeping in lots of alcohol. Going to make mincemeat for the mince pies this week also. Just wondered was there any extra charges when the lego house was delivered due to brexit ? Looked on the site and love the advent calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

@shoes43 I don't know I was considering getting this as a gift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I got Lego from their site a few months ago and it came from France or Belgium, definitely mainland Europe.

I was in my local Dunnes Stores today after work and saw the few shelves of Christmas wares, I'm really liking the Considered by Helen James range. Especially the "Cad é an scéal Santa?" stocking, I think I would love it more if it said Santie rather than Santa 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Morning all, hope everyone had a good weekend.

Went to the zoo yesterday and got a great day for it. Is hard to beat for a family day out. Kids always love it and brought the grandparents this time so kids got spoilt as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Morning Elves

How was everyone’s weekend ? TRS30 what a fab day for the zoo! Fairly quiet weekend we did grab dinner out yesterday and I opted for Turkey and Ham it was delicious

I was chatting with my bestie on the phone the weekend we discussed presents in general be it birthday or Christmas and said we really have everything that we need that after the past 18 months with restrictions and throw in me having my first baby etc what we probably need is just quality time so I think more than ever we need an afternoon tea I am thinking of booking one for us for December is anywhere advertising Christmas afternoon tea in Dublin?

Had a bit of a downer of a weekend myself. Started off well on Friday for my day off, but Saturday afternoon/evening started to feel a bit 'off' & ended up with a full blown Migrane attack later that night completely out of the blue. Hadn't had one in about 4 or 5 years and this hit me hard. Ended up in bed for the best part of 24 hours & still struggling today too, finding it hard to concentrate & still feel a little shaky. I know work has been pretty stressful of late, but not at anything like previous levels so the out of the blue nature has knocked me a little. Hoepfully a couple of early nights and rest will get me back on track though.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sorry to hear that DvB hopefully you'll be on the mend soon.

DvB I hope your back to yourself soon mind yourself

Arnotts home event back online guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Hi All. Hope you feel better soon DVB, I get the odd migraine myself out of the blue.

Secondly, I'm off work this week and was wondering has the Range in Maynooth got their Christmas stock out yet does anyone know? TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Can't imagine it, DvB. I suffer from mild migraines, and get a few a year, but I am lucky that medication works most of the time, and I am able to function. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Sorry to hear that mate, take care of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Was passing through and thought to myself who would love a photo of Ballyhale 😉👍 Hope you’re feeling better

Awh DvB, hope you're feeling better soon! Mind yourself 😊

Saw this Christmas planner on Shop in Ireland https://www.shopinireland.ie/product/christmas-planner-with-gold-binder/?fbclid=IwAR0svLXKwQpsfdOjeecCyaE7FWEsqZ3J8O7KhcWw0iOsas5B3SW3nUW8Wx8

There are plenty of Christmas gifts/decorations popping up there over the last few days.

• Advertisement

@DvB How your feeling better!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This Saturday is our next Rudolph day. I think I might do something extra special to mark it seeing it’s landing on a weekend day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Back in the office today under the hybrid model. Volunteered (again) to arrange our team Christmas lunch/dinner given the 6 people per table rule hopefully disappears 22/10.

Emailed a few places today to register for when they have their festive menu plans ready (not many on websites by the looks).

Pretty sure our company wide Christmas party won't be going ahead this year although never say never I guess.

I got these tonight!(You may end to turn your phone.)

Bought a couple of those turkey,stuffing and ham parcels in the butchers and cooked them for myself and the youngest one today, just for the hell of it I made up some bread sauce, had about two thirds of a Christmas dinner right there 😃 the stuffing wasn't great though, prefer homemade.

Is it just me or are we in a bit of limbo time wise at the moment? We are all waiting for the ads to come on the telly, for the music and food channels to get festive and the shops to fully stock and decorate.

I swear I think I'm going to burst!! 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Got a date tonight for Christmas carol rehearsals!! Roll on first Tuesday in November 🔔🎄🎅🛷☃️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Back from an absolute cracker of a weekend in Centre Parcs 😀 Highly recommend it! It's just such a lovely, relaxing place, no rushing about, just chilling out. Was lovely to be on our bikes too with the kids, they loved that, felt like we were all big kids 😀 We were blessed with the weather too 🌞

Back to reality now! Going to pop a few bits into my big shop this week for the Christmas cake & pudding. Will try get them done beginning of October! Also going to look up that Lego Christmas set 😀

• Advertisement

Great to hear you enjoyed it CL. Have only heard good things. Is on our list of places to go.

That was our second time - we've been pre-Covid previously & I was a bit unsure if we would have as good a time, this time, with the restrictions etc, but we honestly enjoyed it just the same! I know a lot of people give out about how expensive the activities are when you get there but I think it's up to yourself how much you spend. Our kids are small so the more expensive ones like the Aerial Trekking are not on our radar. We let them pick one activity each & it was all they wanted. We were in the pool for two hours on Saturday & Sunday & the rest of the time, they were content with the playgrounds & cycling around with us & their grandparents.

If you do get the chance to go, the spa is amazing! I went with my mam on Friday evening and we had three hours of pure heaven and it was only 35euro each. Well worth it, it was really lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Andrew93

Done some more Christmas shopping for my little one (currently 6 months) over the weekend. A bit out of my depth regarding presents.

Anyone any recommendations on what to get her?

She'll be 9 months by Christmas so close to walking. Maybe one of those pre walkers toys like the below??

Vtech 505603 Baby Walker, Multi-Coloured : Amazon.co.uk: Baby Products

Just dating some formal paperwork for work and the realization hit me that the month is going so quickly, it only felt like we left August a few days ago and here we are coming up to the last week of September soon. Sure its October Friday week (the last month with no christmas FM)!! I know we all say once we reach double digits it whizzes by (already half way to the 80's!!!) but every year it never ceases to amaze me how fast it actually goes.

Santa brought our little girl an Ikea Kitchen for her first Christmas, it's still played with 6 years later! Those little ride on trucks are great too: https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/outdoor/ride-ons/minnie-mouse-activity-ride-on/p/124069 or these are great too: https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/outdoor/pedal-cars/little-tikes-cozy-coupe-classic/p/102538

• Advertisement

It goes quicker every year I reckon!!

How you feeling?

Was in Card Factory this morning and they had their Christmas cards out already. A huge display! Didn't get a picture as little man was getting fussy 🙈

A lot better today. Took it very handy yesterday as I wasn't up to zoom or teams calls and managed my time on the PC too. Avoided TV and went to bed early, slept like the dead too. Woke up this morning & feel close enough to back to myself basically. Working as normal today & will take the team training session later too. Hopefully thats the last of it for a few more years now!! Have kept note of it though in case its something I need to look out for in the future.

On that note, thanks for all the kind comments yesterday folks, it was very nice & greatly appreciated. Ye are all fabliss!!👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

As said above, Ikea kitchen for sure, our wee one loves it.

Yes, the year does fly by when your a bit older and very busy with work and family life etc.

But don't ever listen to the Bah Humbuggers who say Christmas gets earlier and earlier every year, because it really doesn't 😀

And experienced Elves like us on here can testify to that.

• Advertisement

Bake Off is back tonight!! A sure sign I need to start popping in here from time to time. I've been getting that Christmassy feeling recently, nothing compares to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Andrew93

That's great, thanks very much for the suggestions 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I was buying some Halloween bits yesterday and spotted a decent amount of Christmas items in Home Sense in blanch and the Range in Liffey valley were prepping the second warehouse part of the shop for the season. Already had Christmas trees, lights and decorations up. They had a lot of empty shelves but soon it'll be all set out and ready for a browse.

ooh, must pop over to the range in Liffey Valley soon for a browse, we always pick up Christmas bits there and they tend to sell out early.

On a slightly different note, I have never been that impressed with Liffey Valley as a shopping center. Even though Blanch is closer to us, i think has much better selection of shops and easier to navigate.

Agree, TRS30, much prefer Blanch myself!

Kilkenny Shop have their Christmas range online https://www.kilkennyshop.com/catalog/category/view/id/2859/?goal=0_b5cf16adb0-757b029b73-72279585&p=1

€15 off €75 spend with code 15off75 😊

We're close enough to both to make both handy enough to drive to but definitely prefer Blanchardstown, for the same reasons, better layout, better shops and handier parking IMO. I just prefer it TBH. Do like B&Q & the range though so don't mind the drive over to visit them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I prefer Blanch as a shopping centre but like Vue as a better cinema over the Odeon.

Liffey valley feels nicer to be in though. Much airier and brighter but that comes with it being a newer design.

Lads, am still on the hunt for a giant ribbon bow for front door but all I can find is satin ones...anyone seen brighter red ones?

• Advertisement
Advertisement