Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need a recommendation for an electric guitar refret

Options
  • 19-09-2021 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

The time has come to refret my beloved main guitar. I'd like to use stainless steel fret wire, which some luthiers are apparently reluctant to work with. Can anyone give me a recommendation in the Dublin area? I cannot take a chance with this, so they need to be good -- specifically at this task.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Gerry Haze https://hazeguitars.com/ Not sure if he's taking on new work yet, but I'd trust him with every one of my guitars.

The only thing I'd worry about with stainless is that it could potentially make the guitar sound a touch brighter, since it's a harder metal. Definitely easier to play, and longer lasting of course.

Gerry Haze is excellent, has worked on many of my guitars, also check out Eugene at the guitar workshop, another legend and gentleman. https://m.facebook.com/TheGuitarWorkshop/?_se_imp=0LVJqDWCQz42U0ZAM

I have 3 guitars with SS frets, I’m a total fan, I don’t hear any noticeable difference, but that depends on what amp etc you are using also

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

Thanks for those recommendations. I'm signed up to Gerry's mailing list and have two of his Sketchy Set-up publications - but no, unfortunately he hasn't been open for business since the pandemic began and no word on that changing.

That's an interesting point about the brightness. It's for a CIJ Jazzmaster that is already plenty bright, so maybe SS would push it over the edge? I love treble - I mean I've possibly just damaged my hearing over the years to the point where high-highs just aren't shrill to me any more! - but I suppose I don't want it any brighter. Hmmm. The whole "you'll never have to refret this guitar again" thing is what appeals to me most.

Eugene changed pick-ups for me once, many moons ago. Did he refret a guitar for you, Jakub?

no, he didn’t do any refrets for me, I bought mine with stainless steel frets, but he is very meticulous and would do an excellent job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

a Million miles away, but Ernie McMillan in Bangor is the best north of the Boyne.

find him on facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

Thanks but a bit far from me. Having googled his name, I see he is the inspiration behind a character in Harry Potter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Haha, wasn't aware of that! Ernie was the year above me in school (I've know him for nearly 40 years) and I will take great delight in winding him up about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Wondering is anyone back doing work.

Anyone get a set up done recently? I've never had one set up professionally, I'd like get one done for once. Howe much does a basic set up cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Basic set up, most of the decent guitar shops will have a guy. I'd definitely recommend Some Neck in Dublin City, Jimi's in Ballymount, Niall in The Music Outlet in Swords. Cost might be 20 to 50, which usually includes new strings. The Music Outlet is usually 40, but I think they're currently doing a special at 20.

Full on repair jobs and luthiers: both Gerry at Haze Guitars in Lucan, and Eugene at the Guitar Workshop in the south city centre are currently taking on work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I can highly recommend Derrick Nelson in the Marley Park craft centre. Did a cracking job on a bass for me about a year ago. Old school sort of a guy but very skilled and a total pro.

Advertisement