Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could there be disinformation agents operating on boards?

Options
2»

Comments

I think it depends what you mean by shadow group. I doubt very many posters (apart from various political parties) post here in an organised or co-ordinated way but it's likely the entire platform is mined for useable data about posters, social trends etc by government as well as advertising bodies. I suppose if (say) a government agency wanted to find out who I am, they could do so pretty easily.

On the posting side of things, I certainly hope some of the lads in Current Affairs are getting paid for it because it really does seem to be their full time gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm pretty sure you've lost all those individual debates and are using this thread as a grievance list :) and funnily enough, following the same pattern of posting multiple untruths to try and make something true knowing that people won't bother picking apart each bit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You are what you write.

Wise people talk because they have something to say. (Astro)Fools talk because they have to say something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If the first part is true, then I truly feel sorry for yo having read your nonsense post on the first page.

Anyway, i'd be of the opinion that misinfo agents ARE posting on Boards. Same with fake Facebook profiles etc. There has been an enormous increase in conspiratorial-type posting from "new" accounts here and i've lost count of the amount of profiles i've seen on Facebook with fake names and generic profile pics spewing absolute rubbish.

No doubt a good few of the newer profiles here on Boards.ie who are doing the same are pushing misinfo purposely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Most of the stuff that's posted on this forum qualifies as disinfo. From the pandemic is fake to the "Communists are coming" to the space program is fake and so on

Are the people who spread these paid to do so? Unlikely. They just unwittingly (or otherwise) posting them to public forums for whatever personal reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

True. I think 98% - 99% of them are "genuine" for want of a better word.

But I do genuinely think that there are some nefarious accounts here and in other places porting things to rile stuff up and spread misinfo or sometimes to plant said misinfo in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Well in the covid thread we've already seen an example of some one copy and pasting blatantly false propaganda. The image was from a game and anyone who made the meme must have known that when they were making it. It was manufactured false information and lucky for them they were able to trick a poster here into posting it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

We just had a poster caught blatantly editing a picture in the space thread. There's passing on disinformation, then there's literally creating the **** stuff knowing it's fake.

Advertisement