Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tractor restoration questions

Options
  • 21-09-2021 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Have an old 1957 Fordson Major, which needs brakes/engine block/bodywork/wiring completely done, and the entire looked over. It seems like the parts for those are easy to get, on Agriline, etc. Just wondering, even though there are are no known problems with the transmission or rear end, how would you find out the condition of those, and would it be even possible to repair them if something was found (can't see any gearbox/rear diff parts online). Are breaker yards the only solution in that case (i.e. just drop in complete separate gearbox)?. Any other tips on Majors appreciated, or if people know of mecahnics experienced with them in the West. Would be likely doing this on my own, no prior experience but would really like to give it a go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If gearbox and rear end appear ok id leave well enough alone.

Easy to revisit in the future if there is any trouble.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Was it in a shed or left out? If it was left out water could have got in the gearbox and froze during the hard winter of 2010/11 causing it to crack. There's a level plug near the clutch pedal, have a look in there and see if you still have oil in the gearbox, if you have it should be ok. I'm guessing it's a power major, has it got an instrument panel and hand throttle up under the steering wheel? Good luck with the restoration. Parts in breakers yards are scarce now as they concentrate on more modern tractors. A complete donor tractor off DD might be a better bet.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Is it a runner at the moment needing restoration or is it laying up not running

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dair_ghaelach

It runs at the moment (head was done a few years back) but there's a rattle coming from the fuel pump at higher revs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dair_ghaelach

It has been out for a good while. There's still oil in the gearbox. It's a New Major (not a Power Major). Would the block have to be given to a machine shop to do, or would it be possible to do any (even part of it) myself? I imagine crankshaft wear and bearings would have to be precisely measured for oversize etc., aswell pushing in liners, new pistons?

• Advertisement

If it’s running you should see any obvious problems with back end, if nothing obvious I would leave as is.

unless your into a “better than new” nit and bolt restoration.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If it starts and runs you are at least halfway there already. There's always a click on the injector pump anyway, I think it is the coupler that comes from the timing gear to the front of the pump that causes it. https://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb3/ is always a good source of info.

I haven't re-built an engine myself, but parts are available, check the engine number to see how old it is. A lot of them had later engines/blocks/heads fitted as there was a long production run and a lot of the parts are interchangeable. You will find the engine number above the injector pump just under the head gasket. This should help you find out if the block is original or not. Look up roberts engines if you don't want to re-build it yourself.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Of course we'd love to see some photos..

Advertisement