Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

lane assist , auto braking , are you happy with this features

Options
  • 22-09-2021 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭

Came across this video on IEvoa.

Broadly speaking , I am happy with my cars safety features .

Did however have one "incident "

On Motorway, approaching a gradual bend, my car reacts to another car stopped in the hard shoulder, and brakes , not full brakes but forceful enough

Luckily motorway was quiet , no car behind me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

had a hire car in poland 3 years ago (suzuki vitara) and it kept braking going into sharp bends , pretty annoying it also would go off even though i had my foot on the brake it would decide i wasnt braking hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

lane assist is turned off on any car i've ever had it on - I live rurally and it was just a pain in the ass.

As for the auto / emergency brake - i've no issues with this as it offers a real solution .. only the very odd time has it kicked in when something unusual happens.

Mind you - i've started using the propilot on the leaf a lot recently as i'm doing a lot more miles than normal and most are motorway !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

In our Tesla with AP1, lane assist and braking is 100%, never an issue, I've had Tesla loaners from AP2 through to FSD and I would not trust them in terms of braking all of a sudden or phantom swerves.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Had a couple of incidents with the speed limit recognition in my ID.4 where it'll suddenly think I'm in a 50 zone on the motorway

Seems worse on the M7 than other roads so maybe a mapping thing

In general I'm happy with driver aids, they seem to do a good job of keeping me from crashing when I'm trying to break up fights in the back seat

I think most of the "safety" issues with driver aids stem from cars following too close behind and not having time to react in a sudden braking event

Short of shooting a 10 meter flame out the back of the car there's not much you can do about tailgators

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

Had a couple of incidents with the speed limit recognition in my ID.4 where it'll suddenly think I'm in a 50 zone on the motorway.... What happens in the ID4, does the car bleep at you , or slow down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It'll prompt on the screen that it sees a 50 zone and slow down. This is assuming you're using adaptive cruise control, if you're driving manually then it does nothing

To be fair, it's normally fine and it can be switched off. It has some clever things as well like if it sees a bend ahead it'll reduce speed to a safer speed if needed

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I've had the auto braking create far more incidents than it ever came close to solving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

(I've not got any driver aids on my old banger so may be talking out of my hat ), but ....

How many of these safety features are there to protect you from other features ...(mainly cruise control ) .. Why do you need lane keeping assist if you're paying attention ( the only time I see people wandering In a lane is if their texting ) ,

The adaptive part of cruise control is there because youre not paying attention to traffic around you while on cruise control.

The emergency breaking is different... It's very easy to zone out ( maybe for just a second ) , and not see a stream of slow moving or stopped cars in motorway traffic ..

Anytime I've done motorway driving in a car with cruise control I've loved it - and I can see why you'd want your car to automatically adapt to a car in front , especially in heavy traffic , and if it can keep lane or overtake slower cars in motorways , that's even easier ... Especially if it's reacting to road signs too ,

But then what am I doing .. how do I keep my focus on the road around me and stay attentive ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

The adaptive part of cruise control is there because youre not paying attention to traffic around you while on cruise control.

That's a little unfair. You could have non-adaptive cruise control and be paying attention but you'll still have to tweak the speed and the distance between you and the car in front regularly unless you're on a fairly empty motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

I have ACC on my 28 Ioniq, and in general I love it

I do get concerned sometimes if another car moves rapidly from one lane to another (M50) into the lane Im in. Thats not a Ioniq issue, more an M50 issue

the ACC does take car of it, however

It must be said. on the M50 I often see scenarios , which are specific to the M50, hogging middle lane, joining the M50 from another road, at a fast pace, heading to the fast lane

To sum up, sometimes I feel in more control if I switch off ACC, and rely on my instincts and peripheral vision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Adaptive cruise control is a must have for me now that I experienced it. For rush hour busy motorway driving it reduces stress, crashes and it is a must have from now on. Lane keep assist on many cars does not work below 60km/h so it's good on moving motorways, but less so on slower roads. The quality, reliability and safety of these systems varies a lot, even some bells and whistles are optional, and some are terrible. There is no standardisation on names, and even dealers don't know spec of used cars and often not new cars. Irish spec is often different to UK spec and sometimes Irish brochures are just wrong. K know lots of people with lane keep assist that have it permanently disabled, it feels funny when it kicks in, and depending on system when you are steering it can over correct, and cause you to have very light steering wheel in direction you need to move. With hands on and lane keep assist it takes time to accept it's input. It's terrible on slow roads with bad markings, and downright dangerous at times on dual carriageways or motorways where it pushes you on to exit slip, due to road markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I don't like lane assist. Had an Astra once and while overtaking a truck on a country road with a broken white line, the assist tried to keep me on the wrong side of the road with another vehicle oncoming. It's been turned off ever since.

Advertisement