Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars that used the VW 1.9TDi ALH engine

• 21-09-2021 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hello all

Trying to find out which VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat cars used the 1.9TDi ALH variant engine, and between which years.

It's I believe the diesel engine that did not have a DP filter and had a mechanical fuel delivery system. I think they were introduced in 1998 and replaced in 2005/2006, or around the time when Euro 5 regulations came in.

I've been told they were used in some BMW models too, but I don't think that's correct.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

Do you know how to use a search engine?

How to cold start the search engine? Is it possible to jump start? How many volts and amps it needs? Very interesting engine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭jmreire

I used to have an 2003 Audi A6 1.9 TDI, engine designation AZF ( it had a sister desnigation engine too, but I have forgotten the exact letters) both were maybe the best TDI engines that they ever built. I have a file somewhere with complete info on all these engines, but can't find it at the moment. But if you google " Audi 1.9 TDI engines known faults" you will get a pretty good idea of what is what, If I find my file, I'll post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭selectamatic

90bhp transverse mounted pre pd tdi engine.

So mk4 platform bora, golf, octavia, a3 in our domestic market and the uk up to about 2000 maybe 2001. The seats had them up to 04 so that's the toledo and leon really.

There's some other models across the vag platform but they'll be rarer to find. Caddy, fabia, ibiza and cordoba.

There'll be a few other codes for 90bhp tdi engines but they're all basically the same. I'm near certain they'll all have externally wastegated 4 stud flange turbos too.

The 90bhp passat and a4 engines will be setup for a longitudinal mounting orientation.

Hereunder is a list of common faults of VAG engines,,,,,maybe its not what you are looking for, but it may help you.

See below for the relevant make/model for an outline of these common engine faults. Mini One & cooper s 1.4l & 1.6l Timing chain failure ,high oil consumption, Head gasket failure, variable valve timing failure, engine miss firing, valve seat failure. Audi A4 A5 A6 TFSI 1.8l & 2l Oil pressure problem, timing chain failure, High oil consumption Mercedes 651 engine 2.1l Dsl Timing chain failures, Crankshaft failures, DPF Blocked. Vw / Skoda / Audi 1.2 TSI Timing chain failures as low as 50000km High oil consumption. VW / Skoda / Seat 1.2 12v/6v Timing chain failures, Valve and valve guide failures causing Miss fires and high oil consumption. AUDI / SKODA / SEAT / VOLKSWAGEN AUDI/VW 1.4L/1.6L TSI/FSI (Engine Codes: BLF, BLP, BLG, BLY, BMY, BLN, BKG, BAG, AUX) 1. Timing Chain Failure 2. Oil Pump Failure 3. Fuel Pump Failure 4. Camshaft Failure 5. Electromagnet Water Pump Failure (TSI only) AUDI/VW 1.9L TDI (Engine Codes: BXE, BKC – commonly known as PD engine) 1. Camshaft Failure 2. Hydraulic Tappet Failure 3. Conrod Failure 4. Crankshaft Failure 5. Head Gasket Failure AUDI 2.0L DSL TDI (Engine Codes BLB, BKP, BMP, BKE) 1. Oil Pump Failure 2. Balance Unit Failure 3. Timing Belt Tensioner Bolt Failure 4. Injector Faults and Injector Failure 5. Oil Pump Chain Failure 6. Balance Shaft Gear Failure AUDI/VW 2.5L TDI (Engine Codes: AXE, AXD, BAC, BLK, BPD, BPE, BLJ, BNZ, BPC) 1. Camshaft Failure 2. Hydraulic Lifter Failure 3. Water Pump Failure (please note – when water pump fails, it leaks water into the oil sump. This can cause SERIOUS engine damage) VW/SKODA/SEAT 1.2L 6 VALVE + 12 VALVE (Engine Codes: AWY, AZQ, BME, BZG, BBM, BND) 1. Timing Chain Failure 2. Valve Guide Failure 3. Exhaust Valve Failure 4. Valve Seat Failure 5. Piston Ring Failure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Peterbilt

Thanks Gentlemen, we've discovered the issue. It's not the ALH engine that's in this car we're looking at, it's the 130

bhp AWX engine. The other end of the power spectrum! Originally had a ALH in it, and that's what it still says on the info plate. The perils of car auctions....

No. Do they use them in choppers? Search and Rescue????

If it's the AWX ( or the AVF) They are flaking engines, either of them, The AVF 130 BHP ( sport ) 6 speed that was in mine, was a fantastic car. I happened to meet the previous owner, who told me that the only way he ever parted with the car was because his (ex) wife got it as part of the divorce settlement. He said that it was the thing he missed most from the marriage !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Peterbilt

I know a few boys who can well relate to that situation!!! Welcome to Family Law Court apparently. The guys almost always get it in neck in there, so I'm told. Something for bachelor life then!!!!!

Getting back to my original query, it's a 2003 A4 Avant being sold at auction, VIN aluminium infor plate says ALH but I had my suspicions that it wasn't. Turns out original ALH engine was swopped out for AWX. We found out via Chassis No. It's still nice car but no 6 speed box which I think most if not all AWX cars had, Audis, VWs and Skodas. Don't know if they put AWX into any Seat cars.

Cheers Jmreire.

Advertisement