Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Type 2 (charger) to type 1 (car) adapter

Options
  • 20-09-2021 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi all

I bought an 32A adapter from aliexpress to charge my gen 1 leaf from our type 2 tethered charger (Garo). And after waiting 3 months, it looks like I got the wrong one 🤦🏻‍♂️

It seems like the terminals on the adapter are too far inside the head to connect with my tethered cable and so it won’t charge my leaf.

Did I get the wrong one / is there anything I can do to make it work?? This is the one here:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKhGJb1

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Looks like you've got a cable for use in North America. Can you return it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That just looks like a normal Type 1 to Type 2 cable, it'll connect to a Type 2 socket (e.g. a standard public charger) but not to a tethered cable.

I think you need something like this:

Not a recommendation of that seller, just the first Google result I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's (what you initially posted) a type2 to type2 cable. You need a type1 j1172 cable to type 2 mennekes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I think the only picture of the new cable is the first picture - they didn't show the Type 1 end.

The second picture suggests they have a Type 2 to Type 2 cable (note the scratches, it's not new) - so either their charging point isn't tethered as suggested (if that's what's coming out of it), or this is some other cable unrelated to the topic? I'm confused now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I have seen one type 2 cable with a shortened or a section cut off the plug on it, it allowed the user to connect it to another type 2 cable and gain an extra few meters of cable length. it was cut to allow the pins to make contact .

If you compare your Chinese purchase to a original type 2, you might notice the black plastic is shorter on the Chinese one.

Have you tried to use it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

Hi all

Thanks for all the posts so far. In hindsight, my post was confusing - the image of the type 2 + type 2 is the end of the adapter and the end of the tethered lead. The actual lead I have is the J1172/mennekes.

I have heard about this and I believe you are right - the end of the type 2 on the adapter seems far too long. I cant return the cable to maybe I'll try this. I know adapters are a bit of a grey area for safety reasons (as they can be disconnected under full load) though.

Has anyone any experience doing that? I'd prefer to avoid getting a second charger - seems a bit overkill as I only charge the leaf twice per week on average (Niro Phev uses it the other days)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I had our L30 for around 6 months using a Type2 to Type1 adapter as I put in a tethered Type2 Charge Point. It became boresome and from memory the cable did not "lock" once in use i.e. anyone could just disconnect the adapter and swipe it.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement