Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Season 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That's it. If they want to reduce every other tournament to an up and down nearest the baulk cushion contest, that's fine by me, as long as the worlds remains as is. Also, robbo talking about viewing figures which have been consistently excellent for the worlds, don't see his point there at all. People don't have to watch the whole of a 35 or 33 frame match, the same I don't expect people to watch every ball of a 5 day test match or every drive and putt of a US masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah I see the merit in leaving it alone IF it has consistently good viewership. But if that changes then they SHOULD change it.

The trend in sports which have long formats is to move towards shorter formats. Cricket is a good example of a sport with all kinds of formats from 5 day tests which are very strategic to the 100 ball games which have no time for foreplay, just banging. F1 is experimenting with sprint races and snooker has the short format matches and even the shootout.

If they can maintain, or even grow the audience, then great. We live in a different world now and people have loads of sports at their fingertips so they can choose which sports they want to subscribe and pay for. It's not like the old days where there were only a few channels and people with an interest in sports probably watched any sport that was on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Judd Trump to take part in the US Open 9-Ball Pool championship this month.

Former world snooker champion Judd Trump to compete at US Open Pool Championship in Atlantic City | Snooker News | Sky Sports

Interesting to see how he gets on - Steve Davis, Mark Gray & Tony Drago have tried their hand at it with decent success, whilst it went very badly for Ronnie. And obviously a whole host of the 9-ball players have tried and failed at snooker.

From bits and pieces of what Steve has said over the years, his problems were a) he couldn't break properly or adapt his break to the conditions, and the break shot is easily the most important b) he couldn't play jump shots which meant he was easy to hook (snooker) c) he'd forget that other players had good jumping ability so the hooks he laid were weak d) he went for straight position too much like in snooker, whereas angles are more important as you need the cue ball to travel further e) he potted into the centre of the pocket too much instead of the using the large pocket to the full (pocket is 2x ball-size).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That’s interesting about Davis, Trump really shouldn’t suffer from the same problems though, he plays snooker like 9 ball sometimes.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Was looking through these lists and while there are some truly seismic encounters there, what surprises me is that with effectively 9 goes, not one of these 3 eminent scholars of the game - no irony intended - deems the epic Davis v Higgins 1983 final worthy of inclusion.

Maybe it's a personal thing, but that final, even more than the 82 world final, felt like the moment snooker truly exploded in the 80s. It was seismic. Well, it got me well and truly hooked for life anyway!

Some great finals all the same. The Ding final felt seismic in its own way too, still can't fully square the achievement of that painfully shy teenager with the years of unfulfillment we've witnessed since.

https://wst.tv/cazoo-uk-championship-greatest-finals/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I think the thing about the 83 final is that it was the last year before it became a ranking event, but still a great final and one of the great battles in snooker history.

The 85 UK is a personal favourite at the peak of the 80s scene. Must watch more of it on YT. Decent timing between events now for some good old nostalgia.

Can't argue with any of the selections from those 3. 2020 was an epic even if the atmosphere and sense of occasion was missing.

Personally, I don't see any rationale for omitting 83, but so it goes with lists. All opinions.

Everybody remembers the blue, but Willie did play some incredible snooker for 2-3 sessions of that match. And glad to see Doug get a mention, played great to be Hendry. The 2020 final was definitely up there, but overall I'm thinking, you just can't beat the old 2 day mental endurance tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,863 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think Robertson and Trump should belt up. Snooker isn’t about them, neither is it about appealing to the ‘casual’ fan...if a casual fan isn’t into it, fine, turn it off watch something else.

the best of 35 is a marathon, it takes skill, endurance, fortitude, consistency... the match can swing about 5 ways over the course of it and all the drama, entertainment.... the best of 35 better enables the possibility of a comeback, comeback = drama, excitement and entertainment..

for people not of the want to embrace it, no problem.

As great a player as Trump is there has always been something a bit off about him as a character, could never warm to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

A pair of whiners the two of them. 'The two table set up is too tight for about 3 shots a match where I'm playing from in the yellow pocket'....boohoo...get on with it. I like Robertson most of the time but he's a bit of a bad loser as is Judders, and as Strumms says I can't warm to him in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

In fairness, the 'casual fan' is what ultimately funds the sport. If 'normal' people (i.e. not snooker enthusiasts) don't watch in enough numbers, the TV companies will stop showing snooker and there will be no more professional snooker. Or at least it won't be anywhere near as big as it is now.

I don't think there is anything to worry about regarding the World Championship given that plenty of regular TV viewers are still happy to watch long matches. Maybe not every frame but dipping in and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Jaysus, I'm not sure what I was expecting for the walk outs at the US Open pool but both players met with complete silence by the crowd in. Surely give an aul cheer or a round of applause or something.

Judd so far making light work of this pool malarkey

A handy 9-0 opener. Get the confidence up

His opponent was really poor, almost as if the match was setup to be a whitewash. But Trump didn't look too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

What was the craic with the walkouts?

and is it on TV?

Edit: I see its on sky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

As regards shorter matches, if you do that you are going to loose the potential for a lot of unique drama. And what else is sport about if not drama.

I fear for the WC longer format, because it just seems so incongruous to have but one comp a year in a long format and most of the rest shorter. You don't see it in any other sport as far as I'm aware. And how can anyone perform well in longer formats if one only participate in them once a year.

As far as short comps are concurred, I don't know why they can't make the semi's onward longer. So you could keep the shorter run up to the semi's but have the semi's longer. In that case at least the players who are capable of getting to semi+ will have experience in longer matches, instead of doing it only once a year.

As far as Robertson's comments on the issue, well, if seems to me he things he can gain in shorter formats, so no wonder he's going to argue for that then. It's a suspect opinion from him anyway. I do agree with him thought on the cramped crucible theatre, but that's a completely separate issue. Goffs and the old Wembly Conference Centre were said to be the best venues to play in, and they were massive in comparison the cramped Crucible, and I never got why it was always said the the Crucible is the ultimate in venues. Personally I don't enjoy the cramped look of the WC's even only watching it on TV. Surely all they would have to do is take back a row of seats to make it more spacious and wouldn't you prefer as a player to have the audience a bit further back.

Post edited by AllForIt on

Impressive start by Judd, albeit against a nobody. Missed his first pot, but then was near 100% bar 2 slow-rolls into the middle (which is the one pot that's a bit more difficult than on a snooker table) and a cut up the line. Broke well which is a decent percentage of the battle.

Negatives would be some loose safeties that'll be pounced upon by the better players, and the question over whether he can jump. Exciting, he could go quite deep in it.

9-2 win in his second game, again against an over-matched opponent who struggled to do simple things correctly. Judd missed a lot of pots himself though (~10 maybe).

If he gets through to round 4 then his opponent could be Jayson Shaw from Scotland, which would be a serious test - Shaw is one of the best. I think Judd would be the marginal outsider there.

edit : Earl Strickland will be on the TV table sometime after midnight for any late nighters.

Some of the players I've seen so far, I'd fancy my own chances against. Lad playing against Strickland here has a relatively easy 9 ball and he is absolutely shaking while down on the shot and rattles the jaws to leave it hanging. Now down 6-0.

Been years since I watched 9 ball but dont remember the standard being this poor.

I'm not a fan of 9 ball myself. It's too easy.

• Advertisement

I think it's easy saying that, but the pressure of playing the greatest 9 ball player of all time in front of a crowd must be immense.

That's before you factor in Strickland's carry on and gamesmanship. If he behaved the way he does in a pub in Ireland he'd be on the end of a sever hiding.

they/them/theirs

It's easy to pot 7 balls and lose.

I'm great at that.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

That's rather crass. There are some shockingly bad players in it but that's always the case when you have a 200+ field and the standard of the top guys is phenomenal. If it were easy then Judd Trump should be handling Jayson Shaw fairly easily at the moment.

No fair enough, I did word what I actually meant badly. I just meant I personally find 9 ball a bit dull in comparison to the other variants of pool. In the same way I'd find billiards dull in comparisons to snooker.. I totally get like billiards, 9 ball requires lots of skill to play well. Didn't mean to offend those that enjoy 9 ball, apologies.

I love billiards and prefer 9 ball to 8 ball ;). Takes all sorts

they/them/theirs

That pool is hard to watch tbh...Judd doing an exhibition in Seattle...just the $400 a ticket...$200 on top if you want to play a frame vs. him.

This time, Eurosport are actually showing the English Open qualifiers! (on the Player).

I see ex ref Alan Chamberlain has died aged 78.

A fixture from the mid 80s on, he refereed Ken's World final win in 97 and also the Jamie Burnett 16 red 148 in 2004.

Seemed to have a nice side while remaining a professional ref at all times.

Taylor and Virgo's last World Championship in 2022 according to JV. Can't really deal with listening to Dennis anymore but it'll be sad to see them go.

• Advertisement

Very sad to hear that news. Nothing confirmed but John seems very definite about it, so i expect it will happen. And not really surprising when you consider he'd been dropped for the uk a few years back and then the masters, like he was gradually been phased out. Not really a fan of Dennis the commentator but does feel like the end of an era. First Clive, now John and Dennis. Nothing last forever, as John says, but will definitely shed a tear or two when the last ball goes down in the final session next may.

Advertisement