Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyundai and goodwill warranty

• 18-09-2021 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello just wondering has anyone encountered the concept of “goodwill warranty” from Hyundai. I’ve a 161 Tucson and there is an issue with the gearbox, my mechanic has quoted €1300 with clutch or €2000 for new gearbox with clutch. The car is out of manufacturers warranty it was 5 years old in January. It has 104/105k on the clock. As the car is only a 5 year old with a significant/expensive issue to see whether they would do anything. They have said that they would need to see it, however the earliest date at the moment when they could look at is 14th October, (a month away).

what I don’t want to do is wait all that time without my car to be told they won’t make any contribution. Any one experience this goodwill concept?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

A car dealership absorbing costs outside of warranty?

Stranger things have I suppose, I just cant think of any.

Did you buy the car off that dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 heuston

No I didn’t, I suppose it’s on the manufacturers’ responsibility basis, presumably a mere 5 year old car shouldn’t encounter such a problem.

yes I’d never heard of it either but Hyundai Ireland informed me about it,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Id be interested to hear how you get on.

if you dont ask you wont get thats for sure, but i would be surprised.

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

If it has a full main dealer service history since new they may do something on the parts cost. (Can't see them giving full cover tho)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Hyundai have been known to come to the table with a decent amount of goodwill on these for cars with a full main dealer history, so in your case i probably wouldn't hold my breath for anything.

Reading between the lines the dealer has already told you what you need to know and given you a PFO response as they cant say directly - goway outa dat. "We'd need to see it, €100 to diagnose and a month for an appointment".

That being said, those prices, if from an independent workshop are bonkers. I was working with a main Hyundai dealer and we were rebuilding those gearboxes for €790 all in and €360 additional for a genuine 3 piece clutch kit.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I do think quote was dear and also where they may not fully know what’s needed until it’s opened up, but to hear from someone with knowledge of the industry. Got an earlier date of 2nd October with Hyundai so inclined to explore ‘goodwill’ & see what happens.

Honestly, i'm telling you for 100% you will not get goodwill unless you have a full main dealer history. It's the first thing Hyundai Irl will ask the dealer. Full main dealer history with a service every 30k kms or 24 months +/- 1500kms or 4 weeks.

Yes in the interest of efficiency have gotten a better quote, gearbox €800 or €1000 with new clutch. So won’t waste my time chasing goodwill. You were right my independent garage was having a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Is it definitely the gearbox too? did the second mechanic diagnose that? Hyundai clutches are made from chocolate. The biting point gradually gets closer to the floor before it eventually goes.

The gearboxes are junk too, teeth snap off the synchro rings and you can't select a gear without grinding.

Failure rates are much higher in the summer months as the particular kind of chocolate Hyundai used to make the synchros melts quicker due to higher ambient temps.

• Advertisement

Well my garage said it definitely was the gearbox(€1300). He also said when it was opened up he recommended new clutch and fly wheel (€2,000).

I was finding it difficult but not impossible to get it into gear, kinda sticky. I also noticed oil leaking from car, but my mechanic said I was mistaken re the oil as he could find no oil leak/leaking.

I drove it today from the garage v. Briefly as it wouldn’t go fast and changing gear caused an awful noise. So

I stopped it has been towed and with a gearbox man now.

Advertisement