Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saab 9-5 NG (2011) oil pump change

Options
  • 19-09-2021 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a Saab friendly garage in Cork who would change the oil pump and seal on a 11 Saab 95 2.0d. Does anyone know the intervals between getting this done ? I am told it's essential to avoid catastrophic engine failure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That 9-5 is basically a Mk1 Opel Insignia underneath which had the same issue at the time. So I'd imagine anyone experienced with changing them on an Insignia would be able to do it on a 9-5 too.

There is no reason to replace the oil pump just for any case. Better invest that money to shorter engine oil change intervals. Typically the engine oil pump is the last thing what fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭passatman86

Not questioning your advice but aint the seal alone a recommended job on that engine

If that is catastrophic then there should be call back and they replace the seal by free. Anyway it is trouble free until you keep the eyes on instrument cluster. No red oil can, no problem. Only be sure there is no black tape magic made if you are not the first car owner. Very easy test, turn ignition on and it must lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Who is going to issue a call back or recall, Saab are gone as is their dealer network? I cannot imagine Opel issuing a call back for this on a Saab either as they are no longer part of GM and the last new Saab sold here would have been 10 years ago. Also this known issue killed plenty of Insignias back in the day and I don't think Opel every issued a recall so I wouldn't be waiting for a red oil light to come on to address this issue either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭XsApollo

FMAutos are or were a saab Indy last time I dealt with them, was a good few years ago mind.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Once you get that red oil can light the damage has already been done. OP-First thing Id do with that car is change that seal. Usually once you do it you wont need to change the oil pump.

If your car have a correctly working oil pressure switch then there is no any problem before the red oil can light turns on. Or you try to say there is faulty oil pressure switch too? Sure it can stuck if you never change the engine oil. It survived 10 years, why you think it fails right now?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its a known issue with these engines. Nothing to do with the oil pressure switch.

By the time the oil light comes on usually the top end has been starved of oil and then the damage is already done.

The oil seal fails on these on the pick up in the sump. The oil light comes on way too late for there to be no damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

I think I'll roll the dice , change the O ring now and change the oil every 6000 km . I'm right in saying 5W-40 fully synthetic is recommended for these engines ?

Thanks for all the replies guys

• Advertisement

Go into your local Opel dealer and ask for part number 55589549.

Around 21.00 incl vat.

Advertisement