Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rambo First Blood remake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's Tarantino. I'd watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This will go the way of his Star Trek movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah. Tarantino was supposed to be making a Trek movie and it went precisely nowhere (and if I'm honest? Am glad it did cos there are problems enough with movie Trek ATM). Ain't no way in the era of IP Wars, Hollywood's most idiosyncratic mainstream director will be allowed play with a franchise. Between this and Trek I wonder does Tarantino just write these treatments for the laugh and as a thought exercise, then it gets reported as serious by the press.

Chances of Tarantino doing this for his last movie are less then zero. He says he will do one more, and you can be sure its going to be a 3 hour epic of original writing he wrote himself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I still don't believe Tarantino will keep to his claim of making X movies the he'll retire. For all his talent he's an awful waffler; there's a degree of the flounce in his declaration. Maybe there'll be a sabbatical period, but I'd not be surprised if like Day-Lewis or Soderbergh, the lure of work will pull him back. Heck, every major streaming service will be promising him a blank cheque if he works for them.

• Advertisement

You would hope so, and I would tend to agree. I expect a few films from him in his 60's. He could move over to TV, that would be interesting!

If David Lynch is the bellwether here, then I could see Tarantino allowed 100% creative control on any TV project he took; however, he gives the impression of a Cinema Purist, someone who might see TV as slightly beneath him. The idea of his work being watched on sub-optimal devices heretical. I could be completely wrong, I've never read any opinions fore or against the medium - but he just gives off that air.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

He actually touched upon TV a little bit on his recent interview on the Armchair Expert podcast (around the 58 minute mark). While he didn't say that tv was "beneath" him, he just felt that normally you wouldn't be given the time or money to spend on a story/scene/shot in the same way thats allowed for film (barring a few exceptions that were mentioned like GOT and such).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

I've always thought that First Blood would be ideal for a remake. Not because I'd like to see another franchise but because this time they could be faithful to the book which is one of the best I've ever read. Its a great thriller thats for sure but its also deep and surprisingly moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

hrmm.. I mean.. yeah Adam Driver could probably act the part of Rambo from first blood.. just not sure he'd have that same look n feel as Stallone did

• Advertisement

I presume if there's an intent to remake First Blood, Adam Driver as the named star tells me this would be something more focused on the PTSD side of the story than the power action-fantasy the franchise became. And even the first film itself remains a remarkable watch for just how dissonant it is against the later violent excess of recent Rambo films. First Blood is a sad story of a man needing help and support, instead hounded by small town àssholes (IIRC the original ending shot was with Rambo committing suicide). There's barely any traditional action to speak of, the only death an accident

I mean, he's not wrong about a typical TV shoot but I'm fairly sure he's one of the few people who'd be given all the time and money he wanted. Netflix would sign him a blank cheque without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He directed episodes or CSI and ER and had a recurring acting gig on Alias.

So he will do TV if it’s something that peaks his interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The original film was hacked down form a much longer film, I'd like to see the original intended film

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭billyhead

Adam Driver would need to put on a serious amount of muscle to play John Rambo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Not so. Stallones inflated physique only came with the sequels. John Rambo, as written by David Morrell, was a regular looking guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Yeah that's the Stallone aspect from First Blood that I'm not sure Adam Driver could get the same look n feel into. Stallone brought a similar look n feel to Rocky 1.

He actually has a fairly good physique (bigger than you'd think) most of the time, even going back to his days on Girls. And if Charlie Sheen can do it for Hot Shots Part Deux, Adam would have no bother doing it for realzies.

I actually remember getting fairly excited seeing his name pop up on ER (I always keen on eye out for writers/directors when watching a show)!

I totally agree, Netflix would throw all the money at him if they thought it draw him in. The host of the podcast was arguing that TV is where its at these days and named a good few shows on streaming, trying to give examples of how cinematic a lot of them feel now, but Tarantino admitted to being fairly ignorant of shows on streaming platforms. Though he did at least say he'd seen and loved The Queens Gambit and thought that felt more like a 7 hour movie than a mini-series (he meant that in a positive way)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I would be absolutely on for a remake of Rambo: First Blood that focused on what the original did well, and Adam Driver could be great in it.

In saying that, I absolutely would not want Tarantino anywhere near it, though, either as director or screenwriter - for my money his strengths are not in the areas that film would need. Had this been something he worked on with Sally Menke, he might surprise us, but since her death he's gotten increasingly self-indulgent and precious in a way that, for me, works against the pacing of his films.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just going on the cover of the book Mads Mikkelsen or Emmet J.Scanlan

Ready that book at maybe 13 or 14. Exclaiming to the world it was the best thing I'd ever read for weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Whether it'd be any good or not would probably come down to whether you're a Tarantino fan or someone like myself that considers him wildly over-rated... There's no doubt that it'd be successful though. Small cast, no need for a huge budget, biggest expenses would be the Driver and Russel's paycheques. Tarantino right that it would be an absolute slam dunk commercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

If anything I think Adam driver is too big for the role of they are going the book route, should be a thin, wiry, smaller actor cast for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

"noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, oh tarantino.....ok bring it on"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'd like to see a Rambo remake where denneghy brings him for the breakfast he craved and they had a great chat and he grew concerned about what JR witnessed in nam and got him a councilor, whom he ended up dating for a while and then moved on , would have saved so much bloodshed

Tarantino is absolutely the wrong man for this. 'First Blood' is an intensely serious story that touches on many of the open sores that suppurated in America at the time regarding Vietnam and their place in the world. However, Tarantino's stuff is laced with schlock and kitschy references to other B movie fare and apart from 'Reservoir Dogs' and 'Jackie Brown', he has been completely unable to keep that stuff out of his movies. When I first heard about this, all I could think of was 'Coming Home in a Body Bag' and that's huge no from me with regards to a movie like 'First Blood'. A movie, BTW, that far too many people mis-remember and believe that it's the same type of shite that 'Rambo' was, when the reality is that it is a far different type of story than the Reaganite jingoistic nonsense that came afterward.

Plus Tarantino just cannot help himself either and in nearly every one of his movies he goes too far into stupid. He's a very talented director and has a wonderful ear for intriguing dialogue. But there's always a point where he turns up the dumb dial to 11 and goes a long way to destroying his pictures. The Bride standing on Pai Mei's sword is an example and sure, 'Kill Bill' is pure fantasy with many ridiculous moments, but that is a moment that a ridiculous step too far, along with the 5 finger death punch gibberish. Or another example is in 'The Hateful 8' where after an excellent first half (some of the best stuff Tarantino has ever done), he blows it completely when he makes everyone puke geysers of blood after they drink poison coffee. He turns a excellently built and tense setting into farce. 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' ends with some of the dumbest nonsense I can possibly imagine him doing and completely ruins a decent movie at the final stretch. I won't even mention 'Inglorious Basterds' because that was just bloody awful full stop.

So, no, Tarantino and 'First Blood' are a terrible idea. Because I just wouldn't trust Quentin to be able to keep a lid on his worst traits. His version of 'First Blood' will end up being closer to Troma's 'Combat Shock' than either the 1982 film or the novel.

It's kind of depressing though to think a First Blood remake could be made without needing to set in post-Vietnam America, and it wouldn't lose that cultural identity; it could be easily modernised in making Rambo suffering from PTSD caused by Iraq 1, 2 or Afghanistan. Maybe some extra topical threads could be added, where he's addicted to oxycontin, or is experiencing issues with his health insurance. So he's

Absolutely and it shows that little had changed with regard to America's foreign policy exploits from the 50's onwards. They may be beginning to roll back on going around the planet wrecking other nations now, but for half a century is was par for the course with them. One would have thought that Vietnam would have showed them the error of their ways, but Iraq showed that they learned bugger all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think you missed my point @Tony EH, I think the film would be drivel. In the hands of a better director, a re-imagining set in modern times with a vet traumatised by a tour in Iraq/Afghanistan could be excellent. My point was that it would be a commercial hit. First Blood should be a relatively cheap movie to make and Tarantino has enough fans that anything he puts out, regardless of quality or critical reviews, will draw moviegoers to cinemas in their droves.

Advertisement