Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Sorry no.

You were caught out posting bullshit. You posted an image that was debunked with 5 seconds of googling because it was from a game.

You are bullshitting so hard, you won't even acknowledge that this is what happened. You are bullshiting so hard you are ignoring reality because you won't admit your mistake.

Why the **** do you think anyone with a braincell will take you seriously after that?

You could salvage some credibility by coping to you actions and explaining them.

But you won't. You'll fly by with more vapid, empty comments or more propaganda you were too lazy and too gullible to check. For some reason you think this is helping you.

Please continue as you are embarrassing yourself and all the other conspiracy theorists who share your beliefs. People should see just how intellectually dishonest you guys are.

The only "permanent bullshit" is from you and your ilk. You prove this with every one of these kind of posts you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Seeing a lot of "well I did my bit" craic about at the moment. Stamina is waning.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

When vaccination started the world was told that it will be voluntary, not mandatory, but now certificates and proof

of vaccinations ARE required to enter certain places and restaurants, and employers threaten to fire employees

who refuse vaccination. What happened to VOLUNTARY? The Lies will be permanent.

Hi. You're back again.

You posted an image of an ad you claimed was genuine. It turned out to be an ad from a game.

Why did you post this false image? Did you do so on purpose or did you do so because you didn't check before posting it?

Why did you dodge this question last time you were asked? Are you expecting people will forget if you wait long enough?

• Advertisement

The Tobacco industry bribed thousands of doctors to promote smoking, are you denying this?

While that particular picture might not be genuine there are hundreds more that are.

Tobacco companies conducted a carefully crafted, decades-long campaign to manipulate throat doctors into helping to calm concerns among an increasingly worried public that smoking might be bad for their health, according to a new study by researchers at the School of medicine Beginning in the 1920s, this campaign continued for over half of a century.

Post edited by buzzerxx on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Did people have access to information 100 years ago the way people do now?

Why did you post it though?

Did you know it was fake when you posted it or did you not check before posting it?

Why did you not answer this question when you were asked the first time?

And no, I'm not denying the tobacco industry did this.

No but if they did they would have probably been told by people like you to stop listening to the conspiracy loons and only believe what the msm tells you, smoking is good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

No, i didn't know it was from a game but the sentiment is the same as the hundreds of real smoking ads back then that where backed by Doctors..

At least you are admitting that doctors accepted bribes to lie about what can injure and kill people. The world hasn't changed much when it comes to Greed.

"80 years ago, before a link with cancer was discovered, some doctors recommended cigarettes, therefore don't trust modern medical science on vaccines which have been proven to work and saved millions of lives"

OK. So why didn't you check it before posting? It took 5 seconds to find out it was from a game.

Why did you not admit this the first time you were asked?

Yes doctors did do that. It doesn't follow that they must therefore be doing the same for vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You are fairly behind in what was proven to work. Saved millions of lives is pure fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

So what is your proof of vaccines not working?

Smallpox killed an estimated 300 million people in the 20th century. It's now been eradicated thanks to vaccines.

You going to use a conspiracy theory forum to attack vaccines now?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

It's not just an isolated incident 80 years ago, lets be honest. Oxycodone was marketed as less addictive when it was well known that it was highly addictive, that was recent. And there are plenty of other examples in between. Three years ago almost everybody would have been in agreement that pharmaceutical companies had questionable morals, and always put profit before the good of the people. They'd been caught manipulating trial data, raising drug prices to extortionist levels, and everybody knew about it, then the vaccine cult came along and suddenly they can do no wrong.

The drug companies have made billions and billions in profit from the vaccines, and deservedly so. People have lost businesses, freedom of movement, freedom of speech, the freedom to go to a restaurant, or to visit family and friends, everybody has given up so much to fight the pandemic, and we're all in this together, so any day now I'm sure the drug companies will hand over the IP to allow vaccines to be produced far more quickly and cheaply, for the greater good right? Or even if they don't do it voluntarily, the governments who have been so frequently creating new laws, and removing all sorts of freedoms from people will step in and just force the drug companies to do it right? I mean it is an emergency after all, and it's "best for society" which is a mantra for some people on here, so I'm sure it will happen any day now, unless of course the Pharam companies would rather let people die in poorer countries so that they can make even more billions.

I've no issue with companies making money. Me, my family, friends, colleagues got access to an effective vaccine relatively quickly during a pandemic.

I presume you and your family are vaccinated, yes?

Also, do you think measures will be permanent, and if so, why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

If the company I work for didn’t make money, I’d be out of a job along with over 250k others. It’s not pharmaceutical but any company making a profit shouldn’t be allowed operate!

Maybe @ohnohedidnt wants all pharmaceutical companies closed down due to them making a profit and we go back to medieval methods of treating illnesses.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

More restrictions lifting tomorrow. Hurrah!

Sorry, but your argument doesn't make sense.

Just because some doctors in the past were bribed to market for something harmful, it doesn't follow that all doctors and medical organisations must therefore also be bribed to lie about the harmful effects of the vaccines.

Do you have anything other than this argument to suggest that doctors did manipulate any evidence about the safety of the vaccines?

Video games companies make vast profits and we hear nothing about it. So it's not about the profits.

It must be if something is essential. Supermarket chains make massive profits, literally our lifeline, but we hear nothing about that.

Hmmm

Oil and gas companies make massive ungodly profits.

What's the bets on the views about global warming in these parts?

And this is the important part

"Just because some doctors in the past were bribed to market for something harmful"

Many were not even doctors.

"To allay fears, tobacco brands hired throat “doctors” (that is, models dressed in white coats) to explain that dust, germs or a lack of menthol were to blame, not the cigs themselves. "

And back then the harmful links to Cigarette were not known

"Doctors hadn’t yet discovered a clear link between smoking and lung cancer, and a majority of them actually smoked cigarettes. So in cigarette ads, tobacco companies used doctors’ authority to make their claims about their cigarettes seem more legitimate.

To the modern-day reader, the pitching of cigarettes as healthy (even to youth and pregnant moms) and the use of doctors’ endorsements may appear horrifying. Yet before 1950, there wasn’t good evidence showing that cigarette smoking was bad for you."

"The first cigarette company to use physicians in their ads was American Tobacco, maker of Lucky Strikes. In 1930, it published an ad claiming “20,679 Physicians say ‘LUCKIES are less irritating’” to the throat. To get this number, the company’s ad agency had sent physicians cartons of Lucky Strike cigarettes and a letter asking if they thought Lucky Strikes were “less irritating to sensitive and tender throats than other cigarettes,” while noting “a good many people” had already said they were.

Unsurprisingly, many doctors responded positively to this biased, leading question, and Lucky Strike ads used their answers to imply their cigarettes must be medically better for your throat.

Lots of people are out of jobs because of Government imposed restrictions, people lost whole businesses. I literally said the pharmaceutical companies deserved to makes billions in my post, but how many more billions do they deserve to make? They bet big, it paid off big, that's capitalism, good for them, but is there any point now where they should start sharing some of the burden of the pandemic, and put lives before profit? Maybe not, but then why were businesses closed and so many people forced out of work by government policies which put lives above the economy?

I never implied it was all doctors, I'm just countering the implication that any sort of mistrust on medical science is based entirely on cigarettes. There's plenty of reasons to mistrust any company, pharma or otherwise, chasing multibillion dollar contracts. Especially ones who have been found to act unethically over much smaller amounts of money.

I never said they manipulated any evidence around vaccines, there's no proof of that, at least that I'm aware of. That being said they didn't really need to, the bar was set pretty low to begin with.

More restrictions being lifted tomorrow

The posters who were very invested in Communist and Fascist and NWO takeovers should be relieved but I can't shake the feeling they are somehow disappointed.

• Advertisement

My family took the vaccine, I did not. I have no issue with anybody making money, everybody should be free to make money. But that hasn't been the case recently has it?

If the pharma companies got burned too early, then they may be reluctant to develop a vaccine for future pandemics, but they are clear in the profit now, billions upon billions, I just think the IP should be handed over now.

Some things have the potential to become permanent I think. I think if the governments can make forced vaccination stick, then it won't end with Covid. The problem is, what if this all happened 15 years ago?, then when swine flu came, would Pandemrix have been mandatory, I think probably yes. That's a big concern for me.

And other measures, while they may not literally be permanent, the Government will be far more likely to reintroduce them having already succeeded once. So are lockdowns permanent? No. But have we seen the last of them, probably not imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement