Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Could there be disinformation agents operating on boards?

• 18-09-2021 3:21pm

So..

What do ye reckon?..Could there be disinformation agents operating on boards?

They're very much a reality across the internet..the 77th brigade, dynology etc..

Could they be in our midst?..

If they were what fora would they be knocking around on?..Current Affairs..Conspiracy Theories?

Are there elements steering opinion here?..

Certain posters on said fora seems to have almost similar posting patterns..That succeed in stifling discussion..

Are they just concerned citizens getting extremely concerned about people's beliefs online, or could it be something else?

Comments

Yes I am one of said agents. Do not tell anybody. THANKS

• Registered Users Posts: 16,427 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is this the next step in trying to find yourself a safe-space?

Disinformation agents, or people just spouting unsourced BS with a veneer of knowledge can occur anywhere. If they are here? Who are they? What are they targeting? Why?

Sorry for the questions, consider them rhetorical as I know you don't like them.

Although, what if I'm a disinformation agent? Does challenging my questioning refute or reinforce my effort to fúck shít up!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

As a person who gets regularly accused of this, there probably isn't.

For example, you accuse people of having "similar posting patterns", but I think that if you were challenged on this, you couldn't actually provide solid examples that support this.

The accusation only seems to get thrown around when people are upset and are losing arguments.

It also doesn't make a whole bunch of sense to me as there doesn't seem to be much on this forum that would warrant them needing to stifle any discussion. I doubt they'd need to spend that much stopping people from being convinced that space missions are fake or that the vaccine makes you magnetic.

If anything the more likely culprits, if there are any are the types who link dump things and post generic open ended statements and don't seem to be actually engaging with the words written to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Nah, it could just be obsession. Hobby, making a name, creating little band of brothers personality cult... No need to see disinfo operation everywhere :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Or perhaps it's just people refuting complete horseshit.

Of course, you could try going to any other forum, e.g. the medical forum with "certain" views and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I think that there are people who like to see themselves as in the know and educated on subjects. In reality they have been taken advantage of by, and are the victims of disinformation agents. Most people who open threads on this forum are an example, as are those who back up their beliefs. Disinformation agents these days are people who are trying to make money of those who they influence with their lies and conspiracy theories.

Have to love the irony of it all. This forum is packed with people who swallow spurious stuff from Facebook or wherever then evangelise it around the internet without question. Disinformation. Almost like some sort of disinformation agent if you will, unpaid of course ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If by disinformation agent you mean someone with an agenda who is trying to bring others around to their cock-eyed view of the world, yeah, there are plenty of people like that on boards.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"agents" seems to infer some kind of organised nefarious shadow group.

No I don't at all think that exists here in boards

There certainly exists very opinionated posters who stick rigidly to their outlook, and more than a few who would share the same outlook....whatever that may be.

If the OP got out more they would see that this is reflected in general life and living.

Seeing shadow agents everywhere is a sign of paranoia and possibly a condition that may need treatment.

• Advertisement

Sin é

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Whoever sold the Boards.ie accounting team this new platform was a disinformation agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Israel funds a massive online troll army to defend it's Apartheid regime and justify it's human Rights abuses. As Ireland is at the forefront of Palestinian rights in Europe it's safe to say Boards.ie and other Irish sites are high on its list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Careful, mentioning the I or J word alone could get you banned for "anti-semitism".

I created a thread once about a documentary featuring a range of Israeli "historians" claiming that the very concept of Easter was antisemitic. Within seconds there were 3 mods in the thread threatening to close it down

You do realise anyone can look this up and see that mods weren't "threatening to close it down".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Not now that I've set my profile to private, thanks.

It might stop this creepy practice of people of your ilk following others around the site to continue the bully tactics when the conspiracy forum is quiet.

I am not following anyone. You have posted a manipulated photo and lied about it, which was easy for anyone to spot. You just made a false claim about a thread anyone can look up. Perhaps stop with the BS and blaming other people when called out on it.

Back on topic, there is no end of disinformation on this forum, I doubt anyone is paid for that.

In the interests of transparency and to highlight that your claim that the mods were threatening to close it down is a very tenuous stretch.

Here's that thread for anyone who cares to read it.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058174806/easter-is-antisemitic/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think its very likely yes. Governments and intelligence agencies seek to influence people generally. Electronic media and culture are a part of this.

On the old politics.ie site some posters admitted they were paid to post there. One poster (odetojoy) was working directly for the EU I think I recall?

A few posters on boards Current Affairs are obviously on party-political assignments (posting daily and sticking to the party line uniformly) and haven't denied it when other posters put it to them directly.

Russian/Ukrainian troll farms and the Chinese government using Twitter shills is a matter of record.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

@sydthebeat 'If the OP got out more they would see that this is reflected in general life and living.

Seeing shadow agents everywhere is a sign of paranoia and possibly a condition that may need treatment.'

On the contrary, anyone who has so much as glanced at a newspaper in the last decade would know that governments and intelligence agents try to actively influence social-media.

They've supposedly helped to throw elections in the United States and Russia (which I think may be overstating their influence but that doesn't mean there been zero attempts to gain influence).

It is so commonplace as to be banal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah there are paid government agents on some of the least viewed threads on Boards.ie

Christ. Some people really need to get out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I'd personally love to know how many politicians have been undercover on here over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Loads id say, and loads of people who work for the parties too. not specifically for Baords.ie though!

If you notice outside any of the tribunals of the politican crooks, Bertie, Charlie etc, youll see pro FF'ers cheering, trying to drown out boos etc. But its all very Irish and amateur. Shoving people.

This forum is full of solo disinformation agents who get but hurt when they get asked to explain some of their garbage, and if someone doesn't agree with them, it's toys out of the pram time

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I read that whole thread and all I see are mods asking MO to provide evidence to support what they posted. Something it seems they are not very keen on.

Precisely, some people race to assume victimhood when they are actually the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

There could be. I've been accused of being a "Putinbot" and receiving money from the Kremlin for merely expressing doubts about a narrative. So it's quite feasible to surmise that there may be people who either stoke an opinion or crash down upon another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Some people may be disinfo agents without even knowing it :)

Plenty of do-gooders in the last year willing to fight anyone who mentioned vitamins or lifestyle, or that masks will protect you, or that it is just 2 weeks to flatten the curve, or that vaccines will protect you from getting it, or die from it, or ending up in hospital, or 95% protection, then 60% then "whatever just take it".

Zero covid nonsense, closing up airports with army on the borders, refusing to handle cash, virus lingering on shopping trolley handles and all surfaces for days, that lockdowns work, that we all are in this together...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

There are one or two mods at it even :)

Last year I posted about councils buying up houses and apartments from under ordinary buyers and got told I was living in cuckoo land and that I should be posting in the conspiracies theories section.

Thread got closed then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Have you guys considered that these are just examples of people not agreeing with you?

Or is everyone who doesn't agree with you a government agent out to get you?

Advertisement